What next? (Read 269 times)

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Well, almost no one does (in the grand scheme of things.)

Quite so Smile

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

endurancenerd

Chief Endurance Dork

Data behind this, please?

No research citations.

Just my experience -- professional and personal.  Which isn't to say that streaking will automatically result in injury because that's just not the case.  But I think any runner, especially a beginner, can use one day off to save energy for work, family considerations and decrease their injury risk all the same.

I think when considering the optimal performance end, taking a day off is in your best interest as well.  I think athletes that take a day off can go harder on their hard days than athletes who run every single day, which makes them faster.  You'd be in good company too -- most of the Kenyans and Ethiopians take Sunday off.  Paula Radcliffe would take every 8th day off.  I think they might be on to something.

Again, if you want to run every single day and keep a streak going -- great, go for it.  I'm certainly not trying to hold anyone back.  But is it the path to the best chance at health and optimal performance?  I've also never seen any research that says it is.

For me a day without training is like a day without eating.

Haile Gebrselassie

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/haile_gebrselassie.html

You'd be in good company too -- most of the Kenyans and Ethiopians take Sunday off.  Paula Radcliffe would take every 8th day off.  I think they might be on to something.

an amazing likeness

As someone who has historically been a fairly durable runner (usually use a 10 on: 1 off pattern), the last 6 months have been fragile and plagued with injury, so I'm poking around seeking a path back to durability.

I could have phrased my post a lot better; too much focus on brevity...There has seemingly been a growing number of articles recently (providence unknown) about consistency building durability and running resilience. Thus, I was interested if there was more behind the 'no one should run 7 days / week' statement, which seemed pretty strident to my reading of the post.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

endurancenerd

Chief Endurance Dork

I could have phrased my post a lot better; too much focus on brevity...There has seemingly been a growing number of articles recently (providence unknown) about consistency building durability and running resilience. Thus, I was interested if there was more behind the 'no one should run 7 days / week' statement, which seemed pretty strident to my reading of the post.

I understand completely.  But I did write "ALMOST no one...."  Intent is so easily mistaken in written forms (I know pointing out the obvious here), just know my posts will never be laced with sarcasm -- it never comes off right anyway even in the best intentions.

I agree too that consistency does build durability.  I think 6 days per week is the ideal in my experience.  When a runner, new or otherwise can work up to that point where they can consistently get in 6 days a week, a huge shift occurs, I think, physiologically. It's like our body finally says, "Oh, okay we're doing this?  Great." and many times that's when as runners we see changes in our body weight, and aches and pains seem to melt away.

I'm a physical therapist and coach, and I just see a lot of people "force" things to run every day.  Granted, as a PT my view is likely skewed since athletes seek me out when something's wrong, but a vast majority of the time my athletes/clients do better with a day off.

For some people, running every day isn't be forcing it at all, which is great.  I'm jealous of them