2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

pepperjack

pie man

Rozzie - it was along the NC/TN border, I escaped for the long weekend - I actually train at 70 or 80 feet above sea level in Baltimore. But I wouldn't mind living at elevation, would help with the races I keep trying in Wyoming and Colorado.

https://flic.kr/p/23weAv8

suck it Denver!

11:11 3,000 (recent)

mattw4jc

A cut back week in terms of mileage and work last week. MLK day meant Monday was off work. The snow was enough to close the office Wednesday and half day Thursday. I ran mostly easy miles, though a 9 minute pace in 4-5 inches of snow wasn't exactly easy. A track session of 6 x 800s had to wait until Saturday for the snow to melt. Even then a couple of icy spots had me swinging into lane 2 a bit and running more like 810s I think. I still broke 60 miles, so it wasn't too much of a cut back I guess. But with the time off work, I did get some good rest and was able to sleep in a few days.

So far I've got a streak going for 2018. Monday had been my only day off, so I'm just adding easy miles here.

We had a snowy few days here in the Charlotte area last week. I had to move a couple of things around, mainly the 800s in hopes to not run them on ice. The track still had a couple of icy spots in lane 1, so I think I was doing 810s or so as I went around.

This was a cut back week on Pfitzinger's plan, but breaking 60 doesn't necessarily seem so. I did have two days plus two half days off work, so I think the rest time was in sufficient quantity. I'm feeling okay. This next week is a bigger week with 7 mile tempo and a 22 mile long run.

Date Distance Pace Comment  
      Mon Jan 15 3.12 8:37 Easy three for a streak  strava 
      Tue Jan 16 9.02 8:49 Morning Run  strava 
      Wed Jan 17 6.00 8:29 Office is closed! Six in the snow.  strava 
      Thu Jan 18 10.50 8:51 Icy sidewalks and snowy trails  strava 
      Fri Jan 19 6.06 8:03 Afternoon Run  strava 
      Sat Jan 20 9.50 7:37 Six by eight hundred  strava 
      Sun Jan 21 16.04 7:45 Long Not So Slow Distance  strava 
      Summary: 60.24 8:14 Bike commute: 26 miles  
      Running Problem

Problem Child

dw I was thinking about you when I heard the shut down. I couldn't remember if DC had a lot of non-essential (they get paid right?) employees or essential.

eh,eh,ron: Dude you're putting in some WORK. You're racing in March right?

Everyone putting in more than 40 mpw is my hero. I can't imagine getting that many miles in right now. I'd have to actually do more than 6 miles on the weekends.

My week.

Switched to 10s for the week. Turns my days into 12 hour days. Having an extra day off isn't really worth it but I'm motivated to use my extra time in the morning to get more done.

Friday was chilly. I read 45F with 9 mph winds as shirt and shorts. Headwind made it nice and cold to the point I considered turning around and going to the treadmill. Upside of a 3 day weekend is I can help clean while DW has NeRP. Downside is waking up at 7ish kills two hours I'd previously had. I might need to start doing this to get my long runs in. Just like when I was a marathon runner. I went for the 5.5 so I could at least not add to my deficit of miles for 2018. I keep saying I'll get more in training but it's not happening. Originally I wanted to do 7.5.

Saturday I wasn't feeling good during my run. I probably started too fast (6.7 mph, incline 3) and it snowballed with NeRP waking up. He wasn't sleeping much that day and I kind of knew if I didn't get my miles in while DW was gone I probably wouldn't get them in at all. I probably could have if I was serious about running.I wanted to get about 7.5 in.

Sunday the goal was 9 miles (2018 in 2018 group) to hit my 39 miles for the week. Started out hoping not to bonk, hit 30 minutes and the next 30 was just boring. Looking at the minutes go by, distance, podcast time, reminding myself I do 6.5 miles on lunch and an hour isn't that long, and I started feeling better. I figured I'd listen to a little more of my podcast while also doing a cool down mile to see if my treadmill stops at 99 minutes (highest setting it shows as a countdown) because NeRP was sleeping more. I also thought of an image of Bronco Billy I'd seen recently where he was walking on a treadmill (simulating hills) and figured walking counts as weekly mileage. I think the combination of less beer, doing my run earlier in the morning, and starting off at 6.5 instead of 6.7 and doing an incline of 2 (reduced to 1 later I think) helped the run be successful. I even told my wife I need to get back to running more than 8 miles and I use to do it all the time because Chicago isn't a guarantee or easy. I also need to re-read this thread where I was asking where to stay. DW is considering renting a home/condo/anything but a hotel room if it's more than just us.

Weekly Summary
        Monday, Jan 15, 2018 thru Sunday, Jan 21, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description Link
        Mon 7.5 9:05 That time I got all my chores done. strava
        Tue 6.7 9:14 That time you can wait 5 minutes. strava
        Thu 8.4 9:02 That time I MOOSE not pack in the dark strava
        Fri 5.5 8:45 That time he is sleeping. strava
        Sat 2.4 9:33 That time I didn’t feel like running anyway strava
        Sun 10.0 10:18 That time I started feeling better. strava
          40.5 9:22    

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mattw4jc

Sunday the goal was 9 miles (2018 in 2018 group) to hit my 39 miles for the week.

I've been wondering if anyone from these other threads were in the 2018 challenge deal. I'm not too worried about winning or anything, but it's fun to see the team numbers add up and all. I'm on team 'Run Fastah'.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I've been wondering if anyone from these other threads were in the 2018 challenge deal. I'm not too worried about winning or anything, but it's fun to see the team numbers add up and all. I'm on team 'Run Fastah'.

Team Gone Rogue. I think I saw you were in there and posted some BIG weeks.

Chicago Looks like Chinatown has somewhere fitting my budget and access to things other than the marathon. Close to the Metra at McCormick and it looks like 11st st. / Museum Campus is where I'd get off for the race. Looking at the 2017 schedule It's MED  UPX2 in from University Park.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

brew- have you been to chicago before? chinatown isn't particularly cute - you'll run through there at mile 18 or something like that, i forget. it is convenient for the expo. what other things are you looking to do in chicago?

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dw I was thinking about you when I heard the shut down. I couldn't remember if DC had a lot of non-essential (they get paid right?) employees or essential.

Non-essential means that you don't come into work (except for the first day when you have to come into work so you can be formally told that you can't work) and you don't get paid.    And you're not allowed to work.

Essential means that you have to come into work, but you don't get paid.

In either case, usually Congress passes authorization for you to be paid once the government is on line again.  But the shutdown sucks for those who are essential or those who are non-essential and have projects with deadlines that are not paused by the shutdown.  And it really sucks for essential employees who are living paycheck to paycheck, as some are.

(in case anyone's wondering, I'm privately employed, so not a direct issue for me.  Sig other is a gov't contractor working on an essential project, so he's working and getting paid.  But the shutdown is THE news story among our group of friends.)

TB - welcome back; glad you found us.  What on earth possessed you to sign up for RNR DC?

Yoga and 6.5 "miles" of pool-running this AM.  (10 minutes = 1 mile, so this was 65 minutes)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Katia77

DW - I imagine govt shutdown is very popular topic where you are. My mom and BIL are govt employees - she's non-essential, but he's essential (TSA), so that's annoying for him.

Ace - they close our restrooms and shut down fountains as well. It's annoying, but yes I think to prevent freezing?

Brew - lol to 45F being chilly.

TB - glad you found us!

Hi to everyone else~

Last week I ran 26.2 miles, lol - not planned just the way it happened. This morning I rolled my ankle pretty badly, so I'm bummed. I don't think it's anything serious, but it's stiff and sore. I'm debating just keeping running on it or resting a few days. Thoughts? I've iced, popped ibuprofen, etc. I'm wearing heels today bc I had to go to court, but I DID wear compression socks under my boots. Rest of the week I'll try to wear flats. I have rolly ankles from gymnastics :/  Was planning on about 30 mpw this week, but I'm going to have to see where this takes me.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

turtleboy

Ah yes, this thread moves as fast as ever.

DW: I'm doing that race because A) you told me the last DC marathon I was looking at was a bad idea and that RNR was a better choice B) I have a friend who I've been looking for excuses to visit down there and C) I'd like to get the spring marathon in early in case I want to train appropriately for the local 100K this summer. Why do you ask...

I'm doing a double today because I was motivated enough to get up and run before work and then my running "club" meets this evening at the local bar. I've basically been sitting on 50-55 MPW which is tough in Syracuse in the winter but doable. I figure it's the minimum formula if I even want to break that elusive BQ barrier.

Running Problem

Problem Child

brew- have you been to chicago before? chinatown isn't particularly cute - you'll run through there at mile 18 or something like that, i forget. it is convenient for the expo. what other things are you looking to do in chicago?

rlk Never. It's kind of why I'm planning a week trip. Sounds like my parents and her parents want to go. Found a "3  bedroom" that appears to actually be 2 rooms and a pull out couch closer to the race start. Suggestions on things to do, other than drink beer and eat pizza/food, are all welcome. I might even be courageous to meet up with the two males I'm just imaginary friends with at some point.

dw the essential were the ones I was thinking of. Hopefully they got paid friday and not LAST friday thinking they'll get some cash in a week. I'd be upset, however prepared, if I was there in 2013 or whenever the last one was.

katia hey there was a 9 mph headwind and we probably had 40% humidity that day. It wasn't bad going South after a few miles but those first 2 were cold enough for me to want a jacket. #sissylala

VDOT 53.37 

Non-essential? That would be me. So I did pre-run yoga, ran 4.5, stabilization work, then later did lunge matrix and leg swings, ran 4.5, and post-run yoga.

Hey Turtle. Glad you found us RnR events are typically disorganized (being polite); I think you'll find 95% of energy is towards the HM. This course has one ugly hill -- be advised.

Cat lovers. Sad to report Kara Goucher's new cat died.

runethechamp

Scanned through the last few pages and it looks like some good races were had! Congrats darkwave, Elizabeth, and Ace!

I've had one bad week due to lots of DIY plumbing (getting water and gas back on for the family during our kitchen remodel comes ahead of running) plus a busy work schedule, and last week was ok with some work travel.

In other news I signed up for Amsterdam Marathon in October so now I know what my fall goal race will be. Going for sub-3:20! I also have a really low passive-aggressive resting heart rate.

5k: 20:32 (1/17)  |  HM: 1:34:37 (2/18)  |  FM: 3:31:37 (3/18)

Getting back into it

Running Problem

Problem Child

SO AirBNB said they canceled the $1752 reservation because the owner didn't respond.

VRBO came back being a rental agency, not rental BY OWNER, and THEY said the advertised room for $250/night wasn't available like VRBO said but they have another room for $375/night plus $150 cleaning fee and 17% tax available. Uh....what? Something seems a little fishy and I'm going to say it's because its Chicago Marathon weekend the advertised available room isn't available. Oh but the link you provided to your general website with absolutely NO prices on it has rooms available. #FUCKYOUIMSOMAD

Oh and now it's "well you want to be there a week but we really only want to be there half that time. Can you figure out how to make that work?"  umm...

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Ah yes, this thread moves as fast as ever.

DW: I'm doing that race because A) you told me the last DC marathon I was looking at was a bad idea and that RNR was a better choice B) I have a friend who I've been looking for excuses to visit down there and C) I'd like to get the spring marathon in early in case I want to train appropriately for the local 100K this summer. Why do you ask...

RNR DC is a better choice than that towpath marathon if you want to do a DC marathon - far better choice.  It just wouldn't be my first choice for a marathon if I had my choice of races across the country, or across the mid-Atlantic even.

It's an OK course.  There is a massive hill at mile 6 - I highly recommend that you put your ego aside and power walk it.  I'm serious - it's that bad.  Other than that, the first half of the course is pretty fast.  The second half will have some more hills, poorly placed after mile 20, and will also lack crowd support.  You're also likely to be alone for much of the race.

All of that is why I never do the RNR DC full.  That being said, people never run as slow as I expect them to on that course.  In fact, many of them run within a minute or two of what I would expect of them on a flat course. (I guess that's a back-handed compliment).

KK - take care of that ankle.  Trust me, bad ankles can haunt you and result in injuries all over the place.

Brewing - I would be fuming.  Isn't this where RLK is supposed to pipe up with a defense of AirBNB/VRBO?  

Dad - now I have a sad about the cat.  Congratulations on being non-essential, and also on being back to work....

Rune - welcome back. Kitchen remodels are AWFUL.  (we went through ours about 18 months ago - it wasn't DIY, thank deity of choice)

Back on the track today.  12 miles, including 3 mile warm-up (8:58), then 2000m (7:47, so 6:16 pace), followed by 800m recovery and then 4x800 in 3:02, 2:58, 3:00, 2:57 with 400m recovery.   

So it ended up being 2K at 10K pace and then 4x800 at 5K pace - I didn't plan it that way, of course.  Just tried to run decently hard without overdoing it, especially since I'm STILL feeling last week's race (next time I need to be a bit better about the recovery).

4 mile cool-down (9:40 pace) plus injury prevention work and recovery swimming.  Botulism training is in force.

I also booked my flights to Botulism and to Grandma's tonight (I'm doing the half at Grandma's).  Also realized the following:

1) If I change my Botulism hotel reservation from a kitchenette to a normal room, then I save a good chunk of $ (~$200 a night for three nights).

2) I will not be guaranteed a fridge in that event - I consider a fridge essential.  However, I can buy a small fridge and have it shipped to my Botulism hotel room for considerably less than $600.

I'm debating....  My only hesitation is feeling bad for the hotel staff person who has to remove the fridge after.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Chicago Does anyone have a list of "things to do" that I can't find online? I might not need more than 5 days in Chicago which saves money and time off. Yeah I like beer, I think that's a given, and I'm pretty sure I can get Coors light there (Max?) as well as find what I want to smuggle across state lines. Empire state? the Bean? I'm not big into art but I'd probably spend a month in the Smithsonian from what people tell me. Just looking for a top 5-10 "must do" things including Blackhawks (NHL), White Socks (MLB), Bulls (NBA), Pizza (just like my TV) or places you'd go back to.

DW I'm sure rlk will defend the "house rental" thing...even though California, in various locations, aren't happy about it when they don't get the "hotel taxes" to help pay for stuff...just like they don't get it when someone rents out a room in their house for 4 days.

As for your refrigerator dilemma...well I'll just put this here. You probably won't have a problem asking someone to help you move it. I have called it "Redneck gucci/Pradda/Ferragamo/ Louboutin" and might be a member of the club.

Fun Fact: Highlight a work and press CTRL + K. It pops up the hyperlink. I've mastered CTRL + K, CTRL + V recently. Ah the things kids these days won't learn. Keyboard shortcuts.

VDOT 53.37