Grand Rapids & Detroit marathons (Read 665 times)

Any thoughts on either race? Both are on OCtober 29th. I'm considering doing one of them if the leg holds up.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

backroadrunner and I are doing the GR half. That would be cool to have a few of us from here doing that race (half or full). Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

That would be cool, plus they have post-race beer! One of the posts about the GR marathon on marathonguide.com: Beautiful fall marathon. Paved trail and road. Pace groups are great. I had Navy Seals pacing me!!! I also PR'd after running 5 marathons and came off and injury! Got a free DVD of the marathon and the award was unique, big and awesome. When done, there was lots of food, water, chili and BEER! THE RACE DIRECTOR LIKES BEER. MAKE SURE YOU RUN THIS RACE AND BRING HIM YOUR FAVORITE BEER!
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yeah, I really have enjoyed the guy's sense of humor on the website and the e-mails. And it cracks me up that the race is on a Sunday morning in the Bible Belt of the Great Lakes. People around parts of GR don't even wash their cars on Sunday, since it's "work." What must they think of a bunch of heathens running a race, skipping church, and drinking BEER?! Oh, well, I didn't marry an atheist for nuthin'. Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

Hey ZZ - I'm probably going to do the Detroit marathon since I'll be driving to the race in the a.m. and Motown is lots closer to Toledo than GR. If that changes, I'll let you know. Good luck to you nonetheless and have an extra brewski at the finish on my behalf. I'll tip one in your honor too.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, Luke! I hope it's a great race for you regardless of where you end up! *fingers crossed that the weather is unseasonably nice* Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

I'm hoping we get a weekend like this last one! Cool
                zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

You can say that, again--it was perfect! Big grin k

~ Sarah Kay

jillsey

Hi, I am running the Detroit half marathon too. I ran the full 26.2 in Detroit last year and really enjoyed it. Due to time ...or lack there of I haven't trained as long and hard as I should have so I am doing the half this year. The bridge is really neat, beautiful view. The tunnel is pretty cool, but very hot and "sweaty" with all those people sweating and breathing in an enclosed area for a mile!! Sounds like next year I should do Grand Rapids...sounds like a really fun one!
                      Thanks Jillsey and I hope you do well in the half! Maybe we'll see each other at the finish amidst the thousands. I'll be wearing a white running hat! Big grin
                      jillsey

Yeah, last year I was looking for all of the people I talked to on the runners world website in Detroit, but I saw NO ONE! Good luck to you. I am kind of a little sad that I am not doing the full! Confused Have fun!

Marathonmanleto

I'm running Detroit also. I have done it many times in the past, but it's been a while (7 years). Had to wait to watch my boys grow up a bit. They are now 9 and 11 years old cross-country runners. Pretty excited about showing them all that the marathon is. Hopefully will make the pilgrimage to Boston with them in Spring IF all goes well.
                            Hey Joe - good luck at Detroit. I hope you have a great race and that your sons get to see what marathoning is all about.
                            jillsey

Hey Running Luke...how did you do in Detroit yesterday? Wasn't the weather perfect? I wanted to do the half in under two hours and I made it 1:56:23 by the skin of my teeth. I am more sore today than I was last year after the full marathon...I guess I should have trained a little bit harder this year. BUT I met my goal, so thats what counts.
                                Hey Jillsey - Congrats on your race and beating your goal time!!! I just posted my race experience under a new thread (Missed it by 39 seconds). I ran a 3:36:38 and just missed qualifying for Boston (needed to run under 3:36:00). The weather was nice except for the wind once you got out of the downtown. Running on the west side of Belle Isle into the wind was really hard, like head down and hold onto your hat. I'm also pretty sore too; the pavement doesn't agree with my 50 year old joints. Overall, though I thought it was a great race, interesting course, and very well organized. The finishing medals are really cool too (and big)!