Are you a runner age 35 or older? (Read 546 times)

TripleBock

I would agree on the weekly mileage, I know very few people that run 50 or under MPW and a fair number that are near or over 100MPW.  When I hit a survey that has a question that is limited or poorly thought out, I usually stop wastting my time.

I

A few comments about the survey:

1. What if you do trail races too?  Is this really only for road racers?

2. I would break out ultras further or group marathon/50k together and then ultra into <100K and greater than 100K

3. Weekly mileage categories should be broader, maybe 50-70 mpw, 71-90, 90 plus

I am fuller bodied than Dopplebock

ultramarathon/triathlete

For very serious runners 50 miles a week is they we do when they're being lazy Wink

This is true and I was thinking the same thing.

Also, I said I don't take pain meds but was then asked which I take most frequently.  Should have a skip set up there.  You can do that in SM.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
      Gatorade Endurance Team

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So re: the survey -

- seems that there was no face validity testing

- there is no way to know the denominator, and therefore the response rate and result validity with a blind internet survey like this

Not very scientific. So why should I spend my time taking the survey?

My guess is that they plan to use this unscientific data to develop a proposal for research funding so they can do a true scientific study.  if nothing else, responses show general interest in the topic to prove value to the public.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

As a researcher who does this type of research and who reviews grant proposals, I can assure you that pilot data based on this kind of approach would be utterly useless and would not lead to success in convincing anybody to support downstream research. If you want to do it right, do it right from the start.

You cannot convince people to fund you to do scientific research based on showing them that you can do shoddy, unscientific "research".

I didn't say pilot data, I said "unscientific research" and "showing public interest".   I also didn't say it would be successful.

I stand by my opinion that this survey was thrown together in hopes, however slim, that the results might be interesting enough to get a 10k grant from a shoe company.

As a researcher who does this type of research and who reviews grant proposals, I can assure you that pilot data based on this kind of approach would be utterly useless and would not lead to success in convincing anybody to support downstream research. If you want to do it right, do it right from the start.

You cannot convince people to fund you to do scientific research based on showing them that you can do shoddy, unscientific "research".

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Heh on the shoe company grant Smile