Sub 1:30 Half Marathon 2021 Edition (Read 448 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also tornado?! Hopefully nothing too serious?!

No injuries to anyone in the tornado's path, just some damaged homes (broken windows, downed power lines, etc).    Our own home made it through without a scratch, not even any downed branches, which was surprising given the power of the winds when it came through.  (we received an "emergency alert: extreme" on our phones about 3 minutes AFTER we bolted out of our upstairs bedroom for downstairs - not terribly useful by that point).

Pictures of the damage a few blocks north of our house.   I like the first picture with the trampoline in the tree.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Steve that will workout perfect.

See you tomorrow

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Excellent.  If you're staying in those apartments in town I can pick you up before I head to that corner of the park (it's far enough from the cbd to get me a carpark), or it's a short enough jog there.  Might be a good night for a running jacket, especially for an easy run.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwave when I read tornado I thought I missed you traveling to Nebraska or somewhere in the mid west. Nope. Tornado right in town. Glad you and the cats are okay. I though 20 mph winds and 100F temps were bad. I think a tornado freaks me out more than an earthquake.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Flavio Glad you finally made it to your Parents house the trip sounds exhausting.  A 3 hr Uber sounds very expensive too.  I wish I din't have to drive my car but I wouldn't be able to get to work with out it.

James Piwi Watson Flavio Steve DW Great weeks by all.

Mark nice week Glad to hear your coach is doing well and ahead of schedule.

I was on Track for another decent week last week when it seems I have ended up with the full effects of a cold late on Friday...I managed to get a run on Saturday morning after being up sniffling all night Friday from about 230am went through Saturday coughing and sneezing and wiping my running nose.

I was so exhausted I decided to take some Nyquil so I could get some sleep Saturday night and thats pretty much tossed Sunday's run in the trash. I woke up with a my head feeling like it was 10 lbs so I decided it was better to skip the run.

I managed a run on Monday since I had a day off but still dealing with the end of the cold.  I'm going to try and get a decent week this week then I'm on vacation next week so I'll take that as another down week and come back the following week on track.

Weekly for period: From: 06/28/2021 To 07/04/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
            in ft
            06/29 Afternoon Run 7.40 11.91 01:02:46 08:29 05:16 171
            07/01 Evening Run 4.10 6.59 00:38:29 09:23 05:50 26
            07/03 Morning Run 9.01 14.50 01:14:03 08:13 05:06 381

Total distance: 20.51mi

PR's

1m  5:38 (2018)

5k    19:59 (2019)

HM  1:33:56 (2018)

FM  3:23:07 (2018)

zebano

Zeb good try with that sentence using " domain " but us Kiwis can tell your a fraud. It doesn't quite fit 😕

At the risk of being a bit too off-color for this board, look at all the fucks I give ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. I did google the definition of domain and the dissonance you're noticing is probably because it specifically refers to government owned land. Great week, you are Mr. Consistent. Why would you not be worthy of the track??? Are you afraid to scare everyone else away when they realize they're slower than a a 60 year old?

Flavio I always meant to be a carless person but it just doesn't work in Iowa. I did the bike through the winter thing for a few years and it's rough. The buses around here take 60 minutes to get you downtown which is a trip that only takes 15 minutes by car. More importantly, I cannot get to the parks I like to run at if I don't have a car.

James That's a heck of a week. I wouldn't worry too much about tempo pace, those tend to move in big chunks for me. Also, if you're slowing during it you probably need to be more cautious in the first 5 minutes. One trick my coach has been using is making me run them as progressions. Things like 3 minutes "on" / 2 minutes off starting roughly 10 seconds slower than Threshold pace and increasing the pace by 5 seconds every rep or 2x1.5miles where the pace is progressed 10 seconds every half mile and the second set starts right at threshold pace (first is 10 sec/mi slower). A more well-known version of this is "The Switchblade". I also think workouts like The Ice Cream Sandwhich where you insert some faster running in-between threshold pace can help too. Regardless, that's some solid volume so I'd just keep putting in the work and the fitness will come.

Second thought is that if your lungs are good and your legs are tired, Brad Hudson would call that a neuromuscular deficit and would tell you to do something like short hill sprints to build strength and power (or join Flavio's club!).

Agree with you on Allyson Felix, just too much time spent on her daughter, but whatever, I'm happy T&F got any time in the spotlight.

Mark Great week, and good news about coach.

Watson Good week, it's amazing how much all of the normal chores life gives us can interfere with training.

Flavio I didn't know you were allowed to run that far in a week! 100km next week hopefully.

Steve Good week- biking is probably smart.

DW Thanks for the article on Willis, that's great. He was on the Trials Talk podcast a few times talking about training, Hobbs Kessler and other stuff. I thought I heard him say he always has at least 3 days between harder efforts which is kind of amazing to think about. Most of us are trying to cram a long run, 2 fast runs and a few easy days into a week and he's on the other side going nope I do one hard run every 4 days whether that's a long run or a speed workout or whatever.

That's a nice recovery week from you. Are you feeling ready to get back to the grind?  Glad the tornado missed everyone. Those things are nasty.

CFarr Sorry about the cold.

My week was distinctly subpar. It started out as recovery from the mountain bike race with plans to race a mile on Saturday but I came down with an ear infection that moved to my throat and I took the weekend off (except for a bunch of yard work).

Mon - easy 40 min 

Tue - 2 miles of stride the straights / jog the turns 

Wed - super easy hour on trails

Thur - easy hour that progressed to moderate at the end. + 1KM Open Water swim where I got water in my ear

Fri - 40 min easy + strides 

Sat / Sun - Off

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - A tornado in your area? That's pretty darn uncommon! You're right, an EF1 is hardly something I'd get off the porch for since larger ones are more common here. Thankfully, though, we haven't had much in the way of quantity or quality of tornados the past couple years.

Mark, Piwi, Watson, Steve - Nice weeks, guys.

Flavio - Awesome week. Glad your dad is fine.
                You're driving a standard for this test? Are standards common there? I learned on and grew up driving standards, but most people I know wouldn't know what to do with that weird stick in the middle of the floorboard on on the steering column, let alone work that mystery 3rd pedal.

RP - Tornados are less worrisome to me than earthquakes would be (if I lived in an area prone to them). Earthquakes aren't something we can really predict, but tornados are. The National Weather Service is headquartered in Norman (opposite side of the OKC metro area from me), and our warning time for tornados is typically a solid 10 minutes or so - that's enough time to heat some water to make coffee before getting in the storm shelter.

Carlessness - Doesn't work in Oklahoma of small portions of OKC and Tulsa (our most densely-populated areas) because things are so spread out here. Growing up the small grocery store in town was 5 miles away, and anything they didn't have required driving 35 miles to get to the next closest grocery store.

Pretty sizeable reduction of mileage for me this past week as I got my first recovery week in 3 months or so. One more usual week this week and I'll have a 5k TT next week - likely Friday, but that could change based on weather.

Weekly for period: From: 06/28/2021 To 07/04/2021

Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                in ft
                06/28 1 owl 12.05 19.39 01:38:48 08:12 05:06 344
                06/29 1 heron & 1 three-toed box turtle 7.25 11.67 01:01:11 08:26 05:15 344
                06/30 10x 3 minute, 2 minute recovery 13.55 21.81 01:45:57 07:49 04:51 295
                07/01 2 herons, 1 rabbit, & DW 2.13 3.42 00:27:37 12:58 08:05 52
                07/02 8 rabbits 8.15 13.12 01:09:18 08:30 05:17 262
                07/03 3 turkeys, 2 rabbits, and hydroplaning on the lake spillway 16.05 25.83 02:11:53 08:13 05:06 568
                07/04 2 rabbits & DW 4.25 6.84 00:51:26 12:06 07:31 115

Total distance: 63.45mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The National Weather Service is headquartered in Norman (opposite side of the OKC metro area from me), and our warning time for tornados is typically a solid 10 minutes or so - that's enough time to heat some water to make coffee before getting in the storm shelter.

This got a solid chuckle out of me. Weather is so interesting. I remember my cousins when they were young were absolutely TERRIFIED of thunder because they grew up in SF. However, they said light earthquakes didn't bother them at all, whereas I would be freaked out. I've only felt one in my life. I was sitting in my hotel bed in Japan and thought someone was banging on the wall next to our room, but then realized it was a minor earthquake. I'm still a bit scared of Tokyo because the big one is right around the corner.

Regarding car culture: definitely is a city vs. suburb thing here, but even some cities you need to drive around. It's one of the biggest things keeping me in NYC: you can walk to almost anything you need. It's great taking care of my daughter because we can go to the park, pick up food, go to dinner, head to the pharmacy, etc. all with just her stroller. I don't know what people in the suburbs do with their 1 year old.

There are so many weeklies posted in this thread these days it's hard to keep up. I'm sure a lot of you get use out of it but I find it more beneficial to talk about single workouts or overall themes than to keep reading people's weeks (or more succinctly the description is more beneficial to me than the chart, but I know a few years ago it helped a lot to read each weeks' workouts.)

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac If you're afraid of earthquakes you might not want to run CIM anymore. Eventually there is going to be one so large it breaks the state off and creates California Island. Not to be confused with Island of California. In the suburbs we have a park connected to our residential dwelling known as a "back yard" and sometimes we have our own water supply we use to simulate rain for a 1 year old to play in. We also take them places like a Discovery Museum so they can touch/feel/climb/play with things while protected from the elements. It's so long ago I honestly don't remember WHAT I did with a 1 year old, and yet I have it coming soon. Along with stroller-assisted long runs if I don't get started by 4:30am.

Heat training begins/continues today. This week is all 100F temps. 37.777777778C for those in other parts of the world.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Corey best to recover from that bug, it sounds nasty.

Zeb 60 ! Why you young whippersnapper 

Your infection sounds nasty too. Hope you get back to normal in quick time.

Keen looking forward to your 5k TT especially after your 6 x 1200 workout recently 💪

Jmac not many tornadoes here but I am getting used to tsunami warnings 

Off to  Christchurch this morning. Meeting Steve this afternoon.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Potentially interesting biological stuff: Through work wellness stuff I was able to go get a Dexa scan and RMR (resting metabolic rate) test Friday after a half-day at work, and today a continuous glucose monitor (2 week trial thing) showed up at my door. I haven't put that on just yet, but probably will later today.

With this info available to me I'm also curious about getting a Vo2Max test. Not so much to know what that number is, but rather to see the mix of fats/carbohydrates my body burns at different intensities, and seeing exactly where the tipping point is where I switch from primarily fats to primarily carbohydrates.

Some observations:

My dominant limbs (right arm/left leg) have more mass than my weak side limbs, and the left side of my body overall is more lean than the right (strikes me as a bit odd that my dominant leg is leaner than the other, but my dominant arm is less lean than the other).

Runner's bone density for the win! In particular, my legs, pelvis, and spine are particularly dense.

I can't help but see my total fat mass (I know a certain portion of this is essential for health) from a  "seconds per mile" perspective.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - Nice week, hopefully the niggles go away quickly.

Mark - I’ve done hill repeats today, they’re actually kind of cool.

Corey - The Uber ride was cheap comparatively: equivalent to 85 USD.

You know that saying: “In developed countries people are expensive and goods are cheap. In developing countries people are cheap and goods are expensive”.

Uhhhh, that’s a strong cold. Here’s to a quick recovery!

Zeb - Oooooh, shots fired 😂

A true carless person would not live in Iowa /s

Keen - yeah, standard, none of that automatic stuff, that’s too easy.

I can’t believe I almost beat you in mileage this week LOL

Jmac - I find my weekly easy to read because the workout titles describe the workout

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JamesD

JamesD

I grew up and now live in a somewhat tornado-prone area, and I've felt a bunch of minor earthquakes in Chile, Nicaragua, and Mozambique (though nothing like the one that hit Christchurch a decade ago).  I'm much more likely to worry about tornadoes.  With earthquakes, there's no warning, so they're scary while they're happening but then they're over (unless they're really big, in which case aftershocks are a concern).  With tornadoes, you have warning and plenty of time to get scared, even if you're in a somewhat safe place.  You tend to pay attention when the sky is greenish-black in the middle of the afternoon

Once while I was working in Chile, I attended a business lunch on the 10th floor of an earthquake-resistant building that was designed to bend with the quakes.  A minor quake hit, the building did its thing, the visiting American executives got a little nervous, and then we noticed the cords that were holding up the window washers a couple of floors below us swinging back and forth.  All of us at the lunch agreed that the window washers should get paid more than whatever they were getting.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

darkwave - That would be frightening especially if you're not used to them.  I do find the idea of a tornado more terrifying than an earthquake but that's probably because I'm complacent now after feeling hundreds/thousands that never go anywhere scary.  There was a time after 2011 that every time I went into a building I was thinking of an exit plan.

cfarr - Hopefully you can get over that soon.  Heavy summer colds are the worst.

zebano - Sorry to hear you're battling health issues too.  Still a solid enough week.

CK - Nice recovery week (that is still basically equivalent to my biggest week ever).

My knee and glute feel much better after a couple of days off but I won't really know until I run.  piwi you might have to kick on without me if I decide to be extra cautious and stop.

Wellington marathon is rescheduled for October 10.  I was already leaning towards deferring but the cost of flights and hotels might be the clincher.  The hotel I had booked for $160 800 metres from the start is $800 that weekend.  The flights which I had for $180 return are now $400+ and quickly rising.  Money wouldn't stop me if I was all in.  Queenstown is only 6 weeks after that which is all booked and paid for so I want to have a good experience there too.  If my niggles don't disappear this week I may need to find a half in September rather than the August 1 race.  Dunedin is an option (Mark I think you only had positive things to say?  I see they've changed their course AGAIN this year and there's a boring double loop in the wharf area).  I could do the dreaded Hagley Park million laps race again too.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Earthquakes and tornados - I have now experienced:

a) a small (EF1) tornado that the mid-west people would ignore, and

b) a small earthquake (5.8 magnitude) that the Californians and Kiwis would laugh at. 

Didn't get any advance warning for either.    The tornado was scarier, but that was because I first thought that the earthquake was just a metro (subway) train rattling through underneath (only to remember a minute later that there was no metro track under my condo).  We were pretty sure that it was a tornado or close to one due to the wind and the noise.

My Californian friends were critical of my decision to grab my cat and exit my condo as soon as I realized there had been an earthquake.  I maintain that staying inside post-earthquake makes a lot of sense if you are in a building designed for them.  If you are living in the basement of a 100+ year building that was never designed for any sort of earthquake, you exit promptly.

Both earthquakes and tornados are less scary to me than being without a car for an extended period of time.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.