Orange County Marathon (and half) (Read 612 times)

Anyone out there going to do this? I did the HM 3 years ago, and it was miserably cold and wet (spent an hour in the rain at the finish line waiting for a bus to the start-coldest I've ever been), but I think I'm going to give it a shot again this year (the HM). Sounds like they'll transport a bag to the finish line, so no repeats of my first time.
      I was at the raining race a few years ago (Dec '04). It was my first ever marathon. I would have ended up in the med tent with hypothermia if my family hadn't have been at the finish line. I've done the half a couple times since. I think the current half course is ok, but the full is sort of sucky. The post race buses back to the start now work like clockwork. I'll probably do the half as well. BTW - the RD knows the course is sucky, but his hands are tied as to what streets he can get permits to close for the race
      MM# 1477
        I don't really remember having a problem with the course itself. It was standing in the rain, and then the 20 or 30 minutes to find my car, b/c I was so dazed and all the lots looked identical. I'm glad to hear that the kinks have been worked out. I'll definitely be doing the HM.
          I did this race last year, and it was horrible. The weather was fun, just a little windy, but the course itself sucks. You run on toll roads and past an old abandoned military base. Also, I finished in just under 4 hours and I know that after that they started running out of everything. Good luck with it, and just know that the best part of the race is when you're running with the half. At the 12 mile split it becomes very boring and there are very few places for spectators.
          "Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?' " - Peter Maher, Irish-Canadian Olympian
            I did this race last year, and it was horrible. The weather was fun, just a little windy, but the course itself sucks. You run on toll roads and past an old abandoned military base. Also, I finished in just under 4 hours and I know that after that they started running out of everything. Good luck with it, and just know that the best part of the race is when you're running with the half. At the 12 mile split it becomes very boring and there are very few places for spectators.
            Agreed - the full course is sucky - expect a new course next year (per the RD). I The half isn't bad at all - the run from the start to Woodbridge is really nice, heading down to the Spectrum isn't great, but much better than toll roads on the full course. I think they need to ditch the point to point and run a loop course starting/ending at UCI or something
            MM# 1477
              The weather is looking very similar to 3 years ago....Not much fun. I hope you're right about them having the buses worked out.
                The weather is looking very similar to 3 years ago....Not much fun. I hope you're right about them having the buses worked out.
                I notice that the forecast is for showers - we'll see how it works out I'll probably take a pass on the half if the weather is bad - I like running in the rain, but no need for me to race in it I'll cross my fingers for good weather at Surf City...
                MM# 1477