How stay warm before marathon or half marathon that starts early? (Read 887 times)

I'm running a half marathon later this month (3/25). The race starts at 7 AM. Fortunately, it is in Atlanta, but even still it will be pretty cold. The low temp on the date of the race for the last few years has been between 30 and 45 F. In order to be sure I get down there on time, park, warm up, etc etc., I'm guessing I will be down there for about 1 hr before the race starts. Any suggestions on how to stay warm and reasonably comfortable during that time? Do you buy some kind of cheap overcoat or sweatshirt or something that you can toss aside once the race is about to start? Confused
    Jill_B

I fly.

If you have an old sweatshirt you don't want anymore, you can just wear that to the start and toss it. Otherwise, you can shop at a local goodwill or garage sale to buy some toss-away clothing. I've been known to wear old flannel PJs to a race and toss them. (Many races collect toss-away clothing and donate it to homeless shelters.)

Bring it on.

Very interesting and good to know! I never would have thought of that.

Michelle

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

If it's raining, get yourself a garbage bag, poke holes for your head and arms. It'll keep you dry, block the wind, and you can toss once you're warmed up. Get another one so you can have a place to sit too.
          JakeKnight

If it's raining, get yourself a garbage bag, poke holes for your head and arms. It'll keep you dry, block the wind, and you can toss once you're warmed up. Get another one so you can have a place to sit too.
            It's tough to beat the old garbage trick. When I have questions about a race, I always ask the garbage bag people - it's a sure thing that they're veterans. Add in a pair of holy sweatsocks (with holes ... not blessed by your priest, although that could be good, too) and you've got the perfect running ensemble.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

Garbage bags work well for skiing in the rain, too. Oh wait, thats a different thread. Roll eyes

madness baby

Do they have sweat storage? You can just mark a bag with your bib number and they'll hold your warmer clothes for you. If they don't offer that, I'd just take some old sweats to toss away after you get started. But you can't beat getting back into sweats afterwards as you're cooling down! Smile Good luck.
                deb
                  I got one of those hand warming packets for camping. popped it open and used it on my hands, and ears...and nose, LOL. I toss it the first mile or so. It's silly but it kills time while I'm waiting for the race to start. Tongue I also get there super early and wait in my heated car until there's only 15-20minutes before gun time.

Jennifer mm#1231

I'm a fan of wearing old long sleeved tshirts and throwing them away (well, not away, but tossing them aside). Another good idea: if you think you are only going to wear gloves for the first couple of miles, get the ultra cheap ones at a drugstore or grocery store (under $3) ... then toss those too!
                    2009: BQ?