First 5K race need advice (Read 930 times)

Another Passion

Everyone has you pretty well covered, Freerunner, just have fun and enjoy the experience. I just want to congratulate you for signing up for your first race and wish you well. Good luck! Wink

Rick
    "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
    "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
    runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Freerunner

WoW!!! Thanks to everyone for the replies! I am really looking forward to this Sunday! I suffered thru the flu this weekend so my body should be ready to run! I will post next monday morning! Thanks again, what a great community! Smile Big grin

Life time runner wannabe

Hi FR! Can't wait to hear how your first race went for you! Are the kiddos going to be there? Helpful folks here at Runningahead, huh?
        Freerunner

Hey there Keikirunner! Glad too see you over here! NO kiddo's this time. I call it "Mommy time"! Shocked It is really too early for them, they are going to their dad's house Saturday night so I can get up and go. I really am enjoying this site and reading the postings. By the way LOVE the picture!
            This is only part of the answer, but be sure to limit your food intake the morning of the race to easily digested items. Would not advise eating anything containing fat or protein. Peanut butter/almond butter are the worst - they can take >4 hours to digest. Personally, I wouldn't eat anything; instead, I would take my favorite gel (Clif Shot gels). The 5K is a very intense race over a short distance. I've found that a really long warmup prepares me to run very hard with minimal perceived effort or pain. As an experienced runner, I warm up for as long as 60-120 minutes, keeping my heart rate under 67% for the first 30 minutes, then no higher than about 72% for the remainder of the warmup. In this way, I'm able to run the last 30 minutes at over 90% of max heart rate (a very hard effort) without suffering in the least. I've tried to find other runners who've experienced the magical secret of the ultra-long warmup. So far, the only ones I've found are Bob Deines, former US 50-mile record holder and 16th-place Boston finisher, who warmed up for 12 miles before a track 10,000m, and six-times Tour de France winner Eddy Merckx, who warmed up for 30 easy miles before each Tour stage.
            AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Last 5K I ran, everyone around me went out fast. I went out with them but started slowing after about 200 yards. There were little kids there, that I dropped back behind. But really, besides being a bit embarassed about dropping behind the kids, there wasn't really any downside. A) They were that fast, and they'd finish fast -- then I'd be better off running at my own pace B) They were going too fast, in which case I'd catch & pass them later Either way would work out fine, so slowing down behind all the people going out flying was my best bet. (In the end, I ran a PR on the race, and passed all those kids again not too much farther one.)

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

This is only part of the answer, but be sure to limit your food intake the morning of the race to easily digested items. Would not advise eating anything containing fat or protein. Peanut butter/almond butter are the worst - they can take >4 hours to digest. Personally, I wouldn't eat anything; instead, I would take my favorite gel (Clif Shot gels). The 5K is a very intense race over a short distance. I've found that a really long warmup prepares me to run very hard with minimal perceived effort or pain. As an experienced runner, I warm up for as long as 60-120 minutes, keeping my heart rate under 67% for the first 30 minutes, then no higher than about 72% for the remainder of the warmup. In this way, I'm able to run the last 30 minutes at over 90% of max heart rate (a very hard effort) without suffering in the least. I've tried to find other runners who've experienced the magical secret of the ultra-long warmup. So far, the only ones I've found are Bob Deines, former US 50-mile record holder and 16th-place Boston finisher, who warmed up for 12 miles before a track 10,000m, and six-times Tour de France winner Eddy Merckx, who warmed up for 30 easy miles before each Tour stage.
                I guess the key word in your warmup description is "experienced," because as a beginner, I would find it overwhelming to warm up more than 15 minutes, lol! I can't even RUN 120 minutes yet.
                AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Decades and decades ago, we'd jog the 5K course before racing it. I remember the coach sometimes would tell me that I was slow to warm up, and to go jog the course again before the race.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.