Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

The CIM weather interests me as much as the profile. 

Yeah it’s one of the more reliable marathons for decent weather. It was perfect when I ran it—40 degrees at the start, partly cloudy, no wind. Historical data:

https://findmymarathon.com/weather-detail.php?zname=California%20International%20Marathon&year=

Dave

Fishyone

MMerk- Now you're channeling your inner "Mikkey" 

Not a bad thing by the way!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

mmerkle

Not a bad thing by the way!

Didn't assume so. I'm actually a big Mikkey fan. I just wish he shared more of his training and another Tyson picture soon. But I have a similar attitude regarding goal times. Make them aggressive.

dk It said to do "R.I.C.E" (rest, ice, compression, elevation) which I have not done lol, and that it can last 1-3 weeks. Rest is emphasized as the most effective treatment which isn't a surprise. I HATE rest.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

mmerkle - Interestingly, my coach has given me a big marathon pace workout this Saturday, and he's said "I know this is faster than your goal pace but..." and tells me to go at about the pace Mikkey tried to tell me to go.  Perhaps after one good race I'll be as aggressive as that on race day.  Listen to the itch and sign up!

Fishy - I've had the same thing happen to me, my eye got flicked by a leaf on a low branch and that was enough to move the contact.  Not nearly as bad as when similar happened early in a football (soccer) match and I couldn't see for the rest of the match.  I agree with mmikkey that you're looking good for a fast time.

Dave - "Anyway I was happy enough just to get it in every morning, after being up late schmoozing and drinking every night".  That sounds just terrible!

Dorothea - I didn't measure afterwards but I did feel pretty cooked until I had 1-2 litres of electrolyte and water drinks.  9 miles @ HME is massive (I've already called you insane for running in the heat of the day in Florida so I'll refrain from using that word again...).  To be honest, I think that's too much to ask of yourself on any day except race day.  I've never done a workout with more than 10km (6ish miles) of HME, and that has (sometimes) set me up nicely for a half-marathon race.

darkwave - Great signs for you with the recovery and new meds.  Hopefully this last year or so of issues might be coming to an end for you and you can focus mostly on just running again soon.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I agree with mmikkey that you're looking good for a fast time.

I don't know if this was intentional but I love it.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I don't know if this was intentional but I love it.

Couldn't help myself with that one

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Couldn't help myself with that one

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fishyone

Commander- I have no idea how to do it but Steve's comment and Flavio's meme belong on the front page!

Dave thanks for the weather link. That is one of the best weather profiles I've seen.  One of these days I run a decent race on a warm day but it hasn't happened yet 

I may be the fishyone but even my best angling skills have been unable to lure MMikkkey and Cal from their training to rise to the bait...the only solution is to troll more!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

This is amazing.

If pictures could make the front page, this qualifies three times over.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

zebano

Well played Flavio

Dorothea - You really don't need more than marathon training to run a 50 miler or even 100k. A 100 miler might be different and certain portions of the ultra community do train differently (back to back long runs, 4-5 hour long runs etc) but they are usually focused on 100 mile + race and IMO they just like doing those things. I look at this a lot like using the Hanson plan for a marathon. 16 miles might not be an ideal long run, but it's enough if you do all the other work and if you're going all-in on a plan or coach you should trust them. FWIW my persona ultra experience tops out at 42 miles but my long runs didn't exceed 2h30m at that time.

optimally strides should be precisely 93.4meters.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I tried out the parachute over the weekend doing ~100m strides on a grass field. While I could certainly feel the resistance, any slight variations in the wind cause pretty significant variations in the resistance. The wind was a slight breeze and would occasionally cause the parachute to start pulling me to the left or right with minor changes in wind direction. My dog was also trying to attack the parachute when I would start running, which was amusing. Anyway, I think that thing can help my son steal more bases in baseball, I think running strides uphill will be more effective for our training.

What I did really like was running these strides on grass. I know several have commented on the increased injury risk and I think the soft landing was significant enough to make a difference in stress on my lower body. The grass/dirt also has a bit of resistance to it that will help when racing on the road.

Flavio - I certainly understand your comments about not trying to change your stride/gait too much and cause further problems. That is part of the reasoning behind getting this new device so I can get base/natural measurements and then make very tiny adjustments over time. I changed up my running form unintentionally over the past few years trying to use shorter strides with very little vertical oscillation to prevent injury. I now feel like I have left some running power to the wayside and want to train myself to push off a bit more using my toes and calves.

Also, I have a few pair of Goodr glasses and for as cheap as they are, no reason not to try a pair. They fit comfortably but my problem was they were not covering the sides of my eyes enough and I could see the reflection of my eyes on the inside. I have also had some problems with the finish on the lenses not lasting long with lots of little scratches and even a pair that distorted after being left in a hot car. I have a couple pair of Shady Rays which have worked out well for me the past year.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Mark - Nice week, particularly the LR. I liked the Rebel as well. It's another shoe that I can't explain why I didn't get another pair when I wore the first ones out.

Mikkey - That elevation chart is so smoothed out that it's pretty misleading, but I totally get the feeling.
                            Also, your taste in pin-up art is pretty classless. It seems a bit over the line/off topic in a running thread. Maybe keep that one as a PM?

Flavio - Now I'm looking at the cutline as well!

DWave - I'm phyched that both your recovery and switch to the adjusted med are both going so well.

Dave - That chart is much more in line with reality. I recall going up that last real hill around mile 11 and thinking "when does the downhill start?".
                            RP helped me out massively with his very descriptive descriptions of what to expect on the course.

Fishy - Excellent week, killer LR.

Dorothea - I'd think the 15k + 20 would be sufficient for the 40 and marathon. Fitting in a 50k between the marathon and 40 miler wouldn't leave a ton of room for recovery in my mind.
                            Still successfully fighting off the cold?

Steve - Looking forward to seeing how that LR goes for you.

Andy - Interesting report on the parachute. My oldest has one that is occasionally used during soccer practice, I hadn't thought of trying it myself.

I ended up with a good number of more miles than I thought for the week - this felt more like 60-65 to me.
                            The highlight was my Sunday recovery run, the first half with DD2 - a new distance PR for her. She's already talking about wanting to get a vest so she can carry water and snacks for a 10 miler.

Front page to be updated shortly.

Weekly for period: From: 01/16/2023 To 01/22/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                            Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                            in ft
                            01/16 Still don't have the treadmill legs 10.04 16.15 01:21:49 08:09 05:04 0
                            01/16 Hopefully the end of this treadmill nonsense for a while 4.00 6.44 00:34:27 08:37 05:21 0
                            01/17 1 owl 8.01 12.88 01:10:20 08:47 05:28 358
                            01/18 20' + 14' HMe 11.65 18.75 01:26:27 07:25 04:37 420
                            01/18 When only 1 of 2 obvious fruit jokes are made 4.01 6.44 00:37:31 09:21 05:50 200
                            01/19 2 herons & 1 rabbit 9.45 15.21 01:22:19 08:43 05:25 394
                            01/19 DD2 run 2.10 3.38 00:23:15 11:04 06:53 59
                            01/20 2 owls & something rustling the tall grasses 11.01 17.71 01:33:54 08:32 05:18 440
                            01/21 3 ducks & 1 hawk 14.01 22.54 01:55:50 08:16 05:08 745
                            01/22 First half with DD2 5.05 8.13 00:51:19 10:10 06:19 203

Total distance: 79.33mi

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio - ... prevent injury. I now feel like I have left some running power to the wayside and want to train myself to push off a bit more using my toes and calves.

Dead Lifts! If you have more time then squats, single leg squats, Bulgarian squats. But mostly dead lifts, that will give tons of power. Twice a week is enough. I recommend using an olympic barbell though. And make sure your butt is a bit lower than your shoulder when you pick up the bar from the ground.

Keen - You're my go to guy for gadget recommendations 💪 I feel like you have enough info for a site by now.

Also, excellent week, already back up to 80 and not even trying.

DK - Welcome to the açaí club! It's very addictive. I like one from the Oakberry franchise which does not have guarana powder nor a ton of sugar added. I suppose there must be a ton of açaí joints in Florida considering the gigantic amount of Brazilians living there (apparently it's over 130K, not counting the illegal ones).

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dave - That chart is much more in line with reality. I recall going up that last real hill around mile 11 and thinking "when does the downhill start?".
                                RP helped me out massively with his very descriptive descriptions of what to expect on the course. 

Having run CIM twice (including my PR), Grandma's three times, Chicago twice, and Houston once (including my PW)  I will say that I think that Houston and Chicago are the fastest courses out there, with Grandma's not far behind.  (I actually think I like Houston a bit more than Chicago).  CIM is fast, but I'd put it a notch below those other three - the elevation drop is just enough to compensate for those rolling hills that keep coming.

What makes CIM so predictably fast is the consistently good weather, as already noted here.   Give me a choice between Houston or CIM in 45 degrees and overcast skies, and I'd absolutely take Houston.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.