A word to the people who tell us "running is bad for you" (Read 279 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Careful! You'll get a reputation in the online 'running' community that 'might not be accurate' at all.
    Someone sent me a post from a private group here; that was basically  a woman ranting about who I am/what I've done/how she saves us all by pointing out my evil intent etc... And how Eric (the owner of this site) has tried to ban me and the whole of England.
    It's SO funny. I wouldn't mind if she was part of the historic RWOL community as was; and that was the situation.

But it's not, and she's just trying to make herself..... Involved.

I don’t know Eric, but I was born in Ireland and I’m a very nice person. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

kkittenkat

English Villian

Violation of Terms of Service
      kkittenkat

English Villian

Because, whilst it might be quite funny to take ownership of a random American's POINT OF RAGE on the Internet.
        I can't be bothered or have the time, to really do it justice.

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I see it's cocktail hour in the UK. Cheers, KK!

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Seattle prattle

Here's how i feel about the belief that running might be bad for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVDBuOMgz_g

kcam

Here's how i feel about the belief that running might be bad for me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVDBuOMgz_g

Ha!!  At one point in the clip he says "We need every swingin dick in the field ...".  I used to work at a startup semiconductor company in Austin (1990's) and when we had to get stuff out end of quarter we'd all work Sat AND Sun to make the quarter.   This included the Prez and the Veeps too.  When one of the managers complained that guys had to get SOME time home with their families the Sales VP said that exact same thing ... "Listen, this weekend we need every swingin' dick in the joint if we're gonna have jobs".  Still remember that like it was yesterday.  Don't think that would fly nowadays!  good times.

kkittenkat

English Villian

I see it's cocktail hour in the UK. Cheers, KK!

It was a long day and my boss has left Sad

Seattle prattle

Ha!!  At one point in the clip he says "We need every swingin dick in the field ...".  I used to work at a startup semiconductor company in Austin (1990's) and when we had to get stuff out end of quarter we'd all work Sat AND Sun to make the quarter.   This included the Prez and the Veeps too.  When one of the managers complained that guys had to get SOME time home with their families the Sales VP said that exact same thing ... "Listen, this weekend we need every swingin' dick in the joint if we're gonna have jobs".  Still remember that like it was yesterday.  Don't think that would fly nowadays!  good times.

So, let me get this straight. What you're saying is that you let some sales manager talk you out of your Sunday long run? Is that it? Do I have that right?! 

Hey, i don't mean to be out of line or anything, but did i detect that all you have to say about it is that it was "good times"?

I'm just not sure what i'm supposed to think here.

kkittenkat

English Villian

So, let me get this straight. What you're saying is that you let some sales manager talk you out of your Sunday long run? Is that it? Do I have that right?! 

Hey, i don't mean to be out of line or anything, but did i detect that all you have to say about it is that it was "good times"?

I'm just not sure what i'm supposed to think here.

I think the get out clause would be if you don't have a dick that swings. 

catwhoorg

Labrat

You ran a fucking double Ironman and lived to tell the tale???

Don’t be so fucking stupid next time...I think you should go for two 1 hour Zumba sessions per week.

Double Zumba ?

that stuff ruins your knees.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

kkittenkat

English Villian

Double Zumba ?

that stuff ruins your knees.

Whilst I'm not trying to swing my own dick (Because as EVIDENT, it puts one in 'that' category).

Running IS bad for you. So is organic food, and medicine.

The key is MODERATION.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Seattle prattle

You know, i have never had anyone tell me that running was bad for me.

If someone tells you that, my bet is that they think you a) will actually listen, and b) will actually care.

The reason i say this is because in all modesty, i am in extremely good shape, and that is probably fairly unusual for people of my age (late fifties). So, i dare say, anyone that would have the audacity to start offering me advice on physical fitness matters, had better have some amazing credentials or they are going to get a big laugh in their face.

And speaking of credentials, in the last week or two i have had to see a doctor and a physical therapist becuase i have a niggling itbd issue.

And no, i do not run in "moderation".

But neither the doctor nor the PT suggested i cut back. The PT just gave me some very effective strengthening and stretching exercises, and it is working so far.

And for that matter, i have beein seeing a pulmonogist and asthma docs for several years due to exercise induced asthma. Not once did they suggest that the running was bad for me, and in fact, they have gone to great lengths to encourage me to continue and make me able to do so. And i can tell you that having worked through their recommendations and other things i've tried, my asthma is virtually non-existent now.

So, if they are not telling me that i might be doing something wrong (and i believe most people know better to go there), what are they saying. If anything, there saying things like, 'gee, i wish i could do that' or ' I need to lose some weight but don't know where to start.' And my response is always the same: I start telling them about little things i do every day to keep me active and healthy, including walking my dog, eating right, exercising during lunch, etc., depending on the situation they seem headed towards. And i make sure not to be overbearing or preachy, just matter of fact, receptive, and positive.

Lastly, you want to know what i think is bad for you? I think listening to other peoples prescription for how you should lead your life is bad for you.

So listen, right now we need every swinging dick to grow a pair and do what it is that makes them know they are alive, (And if you happen to be in a different category, you are absolutely not exempt from this advice).

papopp

Running IS bad for you----but so are a lot of other things. The alternatives are worse.

About 18 years ago the doctor who did arthroscopic surgery on my knee told me afterwards" the only time I want to hear about you running, is if you happen to find yourself in a building that's on fire"

Not to be too zen---but your reality aint MY reality , and MY reality probably isn't the next guys either!

I still run---and bike---and swim---and lift

Heck-----I still smoke from time to time---probably 4-5 packs total in 2017-----none of its the end of the world

My reality is that I am 55 years old in a young mans game. We restore historic roofs(slate,tile,copper etc.)---so my personal standard is that I expect myself to be able at any time to pick up 100 lbs, put it on my shoulder, carry it up a 32 ft. ladder, step out on to the staging, walk across the scaffolding and step onto a hook ladder and carry it up another  16 feet to the ridge before putting it down.---Running ,biking,swimming,lifting is all just the price I pay to keep doing that so I can stay outside and avoid office work.

EVERYTHING I do is ergonomically bad for me----but its still better than NOT doing it!

we are all running----away---from something ,

Best wishes all

kkittenkat

English Villian

NOT running is bad for everyone else in my office. They actively ask me to get rid of my excess energy Smile

I oblige.

Cos I'm nice really.

Actually nice,

but just not in the cheesy boring way.