Holy Frack, my car was hit by a runner! (Read 391 times)

A Saucy Wench

There is a house nearby which has a black Jeep SUV with blacked out back windows. Every now and then their driveway is full of cars and they end up parking this thing across the sidewalk. There are no street lights. I run at night. BAM!  Twice so far.

It hurts.

I haven't full on run into a car, but I have several times been taken out by the hitches sticking out into the sidewalk on the predawn runs. Right in the shins

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

running > all else

Running while talking on a phone? I can't imagine being able to do both equally well. lol Glad she was ok, overall.

mikeymike

I've many times run into things that I saw coming. I once hit a steel post holding up a a street sign so hard it skinned my forearm, elbow to wrist. In broad daylight, not looking at my phone or listening to music or anything. Apparently I just misjudged how much space my body takes up.

Runners run

Jill_B

I fly.

I was leaving Costco.  The sidewalk is about 5-6 feet from the street.  I stopped before the sidewalk to look for pedestrians and cars, there was a runner WAY down the sidewalk, about a block away, pulled forward to pull out and a car came around the corner so I stopped. 

At this point my car is still in the driveway, but across the sidewalk.  Just sitting there.  Not moving.  Behind the first oncoming car was a few more cars and then there were some the other direction so I had to wait.  When out of nowhere WHAM.  The runner slams into the side of my car. 

She was apparently running, while talking on her phone and arguing with her boyfriend and wasn't paying any attention at all and just ran smack into my car.  This was the 3rd Costco entrance she had to cross, she is lucky she wasnt creamed by an SUV.

My car is unhurt.  The runner bruised her arm and hip and dropped her phone.  The phone may never recover

That is AWESOME.  I'm glad no one was hurt.  I have so many questions.

Bring it on.

JimR

Running is stupid.

OMG, you're my wife!

I've many times run into things that I saw coming. I once hit a steel post holding up a a street sign so hard it skinned my forearm, elbow to wrist. In broad daylight, not looking at my phone or listening to music or anything. Apparently I just misjudged how much space my body takes up.

I do this all the time.  I also have to do some matrix moves dodging things because I cannot judge distance...

Running is stupid.

no, running while talking  on cell phone in a busy parking lot is stupid.

oh wait I remember way  back in college days running smack into the back of a parked truck  in broad daylight even without talking on phone (cell phones had not been invented yet).  more recently I ran into a train track support beam, cutting open my head & having to get multiple stitches.    good thing I dont  talk on cell phone while running.  who knows what I might run into.

Rungry!

I run into walls while navigating my own house - total space cadet.  I was biking with a friend last weekend and watched her TEXTING while riding down the bike path, weaving in and out of her lane. I was speechless.

Jen

ultramarathon/triathlete

Wow, sucks for you and sucks for the stupid runner.  Get off the phone!

Although, it's probably a good workout to run while talking on the phone, as stupid and dangerous as it definitely is.  My XC coach used to tell us to talk during all our workouts.  Race day, no talking and there's that much more O2 that can be used for running lol.  Not sure if there is much science to this, but I still practice it and people I coach or run with tease me that I never shut up.

Back to the runner though, I wonder if legally you'd be responsible if they hit you, even though they were obviously at fault and being a moron.  I mean, technically you're in the sidewalk, where they have the right to be and you need to yield.  I would hope that a decent cop would not cite you but actually cite the runner (if it had come to that) but I bet if there was real damage to the runner, a good lawyer could get them some money at your car insurance's expense.   I'm definitely not suggesting I feel this is the OP's fault, but I wonder if legally it technically would be.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                    Gatorade Endurance Team

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

I haven't full on run into a car, but I have several times been taken out by the hitches sticking out into the sidewalk on the predawn runs. Right in the shins

Trailer hitches are wicked.

Tim 

mikeymike

I bet if there was real damage to the runner, a good lawyer could get them some money at your car insurance's expense.

Insurance companies have really good lawyers. If an insurance company ever settled for something like this there would be an epidemic of pedestrians running into stopped cars.

Runners run

an amazing likeness

Back to the runner though, I wonder if legally you'd be responsible if they hit you, even though they were obviously at fault and being a moron.  I mean, technically you're in the sidewalk, where they have the right to be and you need to yield.  I would hope that a decent cop would not cite you but actually cite the runner (if it had come to that) but I bet if there was real damage to the runner, a good lawyer could get them some money at your car insurance's expense.

Outside of a marked and controlled crosswalk (controlled is a key word), what applies is generally along these lines in most jurisdictions:

"Every pedestrian has the duty to obey traffic laws and to reasonably observe traffic conditions. Generally speaking, pedestrians should not begin or continue their forward course across a street if they are aware of the approach of a vehicle."

I would hope that a decent cop would not cite you but actually cite the runner

Yes, they will. They may wait a few weeks until you're home from the hospital...but citations get issued.

but I bet if there was real damage to the runner, a good lawyer could get them some money at your car insurance's expense.

Quite the contrary. The car insurer will aggressively seek damages from the runner to cover the cost of repairing any damages to the vehicle -- they ain't paying for something caused by someone else running into their covered auto. (For example, $9300 to repair a Buick's grill, hood, windshield & roof ). What may interest you is that the runner's auto insurance provides coverage for the damages caused by the runner.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Petco Run/Walk/Wag 5k

There is a house nearby which has a black Jeep SUV with blacked out back windows. Every now and then their driveway is full of cars and they end up parking this thing across the sidewalk. There are no street lights. I run at night. BAM!  Twice so far.

It hurts.

In most communities there are laws against parking across/blocking sidewalks. Many homeowner associations also have regulations against it. Something to look into as it seems to be a chronic problem

bob e v
                            2014 goals: keep on running! Is there anything more than that?

Complete the last 3 races in the Austin Distance Challenge, Rogue 30k, 3M Half, Austin Full

Break the 1000 mi barrier!

History: blessed heart attack 3/15/2008; c25k july 2008 first 5k 10/26/2008 on 62nd birthday.

Half Fanatic #846

In most communities there are laws against parking across/blocking sidewalks. Many homeowner associations also have regulations against it. Something to look into as it seems to be a chronic problem

Right - The municipal Model Traffic Code for your town should clearly define the violation of "Blocking a sidewalk or pedestrian access/right-of-way". Check online or contact the city Court Clerk's Office/Traffic Violations section.  Complaints are most likely fielded by the local Police Department.  But now that this jeep's habits are known, it will hopefully be easier to avoid.

And, encountering a trailer hitch at night (or anytime)? OUCH!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

A Saucy Wench

HAH.  It is common here.  I've lived a lot of places and this is the worst for having 3 and 4 car garages with no cars in them and then 5 cars parked in the driveway.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7