PRE DAWN PATROL week of 14 Jan. (Read 600 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow Ray - it is interesting to read your pace and heart rates - very impressive to me! My HR is around 100 before I even get out the door . . . This morning was a 4 miler at 10:15 average pace. Close estimate anyway - I lost my satellite signal only .54 miles in to the run, but I know my route distances pretty well by now. Happy Hump Day!! ~Mary P.S. My book shipped yesterday Troy, should have it by Friday. Big grin

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

Hi everyone, No running for me he last couple of days, my bug is back so I'm mostly in bed with a few outings to the couch Dead I did want to jump on the HRM band wagon. As Ray points out the Karvonen method is an alternative to the regular 220 - age formula. Here is how the Karvonen formula calculates for me: 220 - 47(age) = 180 197 - 42 (resting heart rate) = 138 132 * 65% (low end of heart rate) OR 85% (high end) = 89.7 OR 117.3 85.8 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 131.7 112.2 + 65 (rhr) = 159.3 The target heart rate zone for me is 132-159 I have compared this to other formulas and they all are sort of close, but this one is a bit more personalized at it takes in an athletes specific and personalized resting HR. Resting HR's are best taken in bed before you get up in the morning. You should not be ill (won't do for me this week!) and should not follow a hard training day.

Tri-Kev Here are my favorite links:
      My "kick @ss" running club ;)

Swim 2.4 miles.
      Ride 112 miles.
      Run 26.2 miles.
      Then brag for the rest of your life.
      -Commander John Collins, Ironman Triathlon creator

So if I did this right it should be something like this? 220 - 31(age) = 189 189 - 72 (resting heart rate) = 117 117 * 65% (low end of heart rate) OR 85% (high end) = 76.05 OR 99.45 76.05 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 141.05 99.45 + 65 (rhr) = 164.45 The target heart rate zone for me is 141-165
        Happy Running,
        Troy
        "Start with your Head, Finish with your Heart!"

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

So if I did this right it should be something like this? 220 - 31(age) = 189 189 - 72 (resting heart rate) = 117 117 * 65% (low end of heart rate) OR 85% (high end) = 76.05 OR 99.45 76.05 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 141.05 99.45 + 65 (rhr) = 164.45 The target heart rate zone for me is 141-165
          Close but you have to add your 72 bpm RHR which is 72 not 65 so your THRZ is really 148-172. I do suspect that your RHR is a bit lower though, have you measured this the first ting in the morning, before you get out of bed? Also it might be a good idea to measure it at night, just before you fall asleep. You are looking for the lowest actual number you can get so check it a few times. Also as fitness improves your RHR will lower. Also remember it is only a guideline and it might not be accurate for everyone, but it should get you pretty close. One more thing, for Mary, it has been my experience that a women's Max and Resting HR's tend to be a bit higher. I dn't know why, just seem to be that way for the average female population.

Swim 2.4 miles.
          Ride 112 miles.
          Run 26.2 miles.

As Ray points out the Karvonen method is an alternative to the regular 220 - age formula.
            That's not exactly correct. With either the HRR or straight percentage method you still need to find out your max and resting HR's in order to get the most benefit from HRM training. Mary, thanks for the nice complement but remember, I'm old. Wink My tested max is 170 and I have to almost run til collapse to hit it. My resting HR is usually around 45 but I can sit still, relax, and get it as low as 39. So, using 170 and 45, my 70% number is 170-45=125*70%=87.5+45=132.5. I try to keep easy runs at 65-70, long runs 70-75, and others on up depending on the interval distance.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

220 - 47(age) = 180 197 - 42 (resting heart rate) = 138 132 * 65% (low end of heart rate) OR 85% (high end) = 89.7 OR 117.3 85.8 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 131.7 112.2 + 65 (rhr) = 159.3 The target heart rate zone for me is 132-159
              Okay - how did you get from 180 on the top line to 197 on the 2nd? Is your RHR 42 or 65? I'm just not coming up with the numbers that you are up there. Here is what I figured (tentatively) for myself: 220 - 48 (age) = 172 172 - 60 (resting heart rate) = 112 112* 65% (low end of heart rate) OR 85% (high end) = 72.80 OR 95.20 72.80 + 60 (rhr) = 132.80 95.20 + 60 (rhr) = 155.20 The target heart rate for ME is 133 - 155 roughly. Oy - I've got a long way to go. Ray - you are not THAT old are ya!? Wink

~Mary

~unknown

ironTriKev

IronMan ;)

That's not exactly correct. With either the HRR or straight percentage method you still need to find out your max and resting HR's in order to get the most benefit from HRM training.
                Ray, I totally agree that a Max HR test is the best, but still stand by my statement that the Karvonen formula is a better alternative to the 220-age formula. Mary You did your math correctly, MIne was a bit messed u (did Imention I'm sick in bed p. ), my RHR is 42 so here is my work up 220 - 47(age) = 173 173 - 42 (resting heart rate) = 131 131 * 65% (low end of heart rate) OR 85% (high end) = 85%-111% (both numbers rounded down for simplicity) 85 + 42 (resting heart rate) = 127 111 + 42 (rhr) = 153 The target heart rate zone for me is 127-153 This number would also extrapolate to a Max HR of 173 [(131 * 1) + 42] which is about 5 beats too low from my measured max HR so it is not exact, as Ray points out Smile

Swim 2.4 miles.
                Ride 112 miles.
                Run 26.2 miles.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Seeing as you are sick Kev - I'll let it go this time!! Wink I just bought 2 tickets to see the full length movie "Spirit of the Marathon" and can't hardly wait for next Thursday to get here! Anyone else going to a showing near you?? http://www.marathonmovie.com/home.html

~Mary

~unknown

wanderingoutlaw

Sorry I've been missing this week so far. Monday was platelets and plasma donation day, so no running. 3.5 miles on Tuesday morning--can't remember my time, but slow as usual (in the 11:00-11:30/mile range) This morning was a bust, so I got in a nooner. 4.2 miles at a slow 52:10 duration. I seem to run so much slower at a given heart rate later in the day than I do in the early morning. As to heart rate training, I'm a MAF man myself. Kevin I hope you feel better soon. It sucks to have relapses. Sad John

John

obiebyke

Pre Dawn Patrol-- Please read my comments in the thread: http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/c2e1710a79244f6d941d81a07533b833/1 It helps all of us if group business is kept to group boards, so it doesn't crowd out discussion that pertains to everyone on the general RA boards. Thanks!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Obie Our apologies, the group has been Created. PDPers I have started a group under the Social Group called Pre-Dawn Patrol. Hope to see you all there. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/PDP
                        Happy Running,
                        Troy

Ray - you are not THAT old are ya!? Wink
                          I'll be 56 this Saturday and your max HR does decrease with age. Your max HR isn't an indicator of health, fitness, etc., but you should know what it is to properly train using a HRM. If not, you're kinda defeating the device. Kev, I stand corrected on the need to know your resting HR if you're simply using straight percentages. But, by knowing your resting HR, you can quickly spot an overtraining condition as your resting Hr will be elevated somewhat. Either way, testing to know your max is far better than using the 220-age or 215-1/2 age.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Happy Thursday everyone. I did my last workout before the 12k Saturday. I put in 5 easy miles, 9:12 pace, 130 AHR. It was 34° with no wind and light snow falling. What a beautiful morning. Hope all your runs and the day ahead go great. Smile

Obie . PDPers I have started a group under the Social Group called Pre-Dawn Patrol. Hope to see you all there. http://www.runningahead.com/groups/PDP
                              Ray - We had to move.
                              Happy Running,
                              Troy