choosing a new smartphone (Read 1262 times)

sluggo

John

I could use some help in choosing a new smartphone. I am concerned with how I can carry it while running and how well it holds it's charge.

I need to wear it while running to take pages and some calls from work. I also need it to hold a charge for about 24 hrs. I don't need to use the apps much, I can play my tunes on a nano if I want but I don't like tunes when I run - the ear buds keep falling out and I hear my feet hitting the pavement.

My old Blackberry has done well for years. It fits into my fuel belt well, if  bit snug. It also holds a charge well. (I once nearly ran through the charge after being on the line with a tech support team for about 6 hrs - that was not fun.)

Anyway, I am looking at these choices:

Apple iPhone 4 16B
    Blackberry Bold
    Droid Bionic
    Droid Global
    Droid Thunderbolt

I can't believe I am asking this - but does anyone have an opinion on which phone would be the best choice for the needs I have described above?

How do you carry a smartphone while running? These things can be 4" wide, right? That would be too big for my current fuel belt.

Thanks!

John
    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

Marylander

The Blackberry will still have a long battery life like your old one plus you can always carry a spare battery with you. I can't comment on the other options. I have an arm band thing for carrying my phone (BB Torch).

Galaxy S2 Smile

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I might have recommended a Droid a month or two ago...but no more. Roll eyes

I have an HTC Incredible.  In the past couple of days HTC decided to roll out 2.3 (which was originally supposed to be released this Summer, but was too full of bugs to launch widely)...and it's been pretty much a disaster.  This AM they had to roll out a fix.  Which didn't.  Tomorrow there is supposed to be yet another "update"...to fix the messes rendered by the first 2.  This is all in addition to the Incredible "low disk space" bug that's run rampant with the device.  From the sound of it a lot of the issues are HTC issues, and not Droid-specific.

Do your homework.  Find out what the buzz is for each device you're contemplating and what the known issues are--whether they are things you can live with or have addressed by your service provider.  I'm stuck with mine for probably at least 7 months before I'm eligible for upgrade.  We'll probably end up rooting my phone long before that.  This is all so frustrating, since I got probably 9 months of trouble-free use from this phone.  On the bright side, I can still use most functions.  Some folks with the same device can't get it to turn on or charge.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I might have recommended a Droid a month or two ago...but no more. Roll eyes

I have an HTC Incredible.  In the past couple of days HTC decided to roll out 2.3 (which was originally supposed to be released this Summer, but was too full of bugs to launch widely)...and it's been pretty much a disaster.  This AM they had to roll out a fix.  Which didn't.  Tomorrow there is supposed to be yet another "update"...to fix the messes rendered by the first 2.  This is all in addition to the Incredible "low disk space" bug that's run rampant with the device.  From the sound of it a lot of the issues are HTC issues, and not Droid-specific.

This does suck... I have the same exact problem, and it truly pisses me off!!!  I love my Incredible,but lately it has not been soo incredible.  And I have gotten some good use out of it.  Since it came out I have some battery problems and the external speaker is lacking but other than that never a problem... The update they rolled out this morning wouldn't update because my memory was too low.  I had to dump every app and still wouldn't go.

I am eligle for an upgrade and HTC is suppose be coming out with a new phone to Verizon soon, and I am kinda holding out on that, but if that is a flop, I am going with an iphone, probably...

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

This does suck... I have the same exact problem, and it truly pisses me off!!!  I love my Incredible,but lately it has not been soo incredible.  And I have gotten some good use out of it.  Since it came out I have some battery problems and the external speaker is lacking but other than that never a problem... The update they rolled out this morning wouldn't update because my memory was too low.  I had to dump every app and still wouldn't go.

I am eligle for an upgrade and HTC is suppose be coming out with a new phone to Verizon soon, and I am kinda holding out on that, but if that is a flop, I am going with an iphone, probably...

Your memory is not too low.  I've been getting that low disk space error for a month or two, now.  I cleaned pretty much everything but the bloatware off and I still get it.  According to my phone I have nearly 6GB of internal storage available and nearly 6MB of available memory.  And from what I'm reading that f'ing upgrade to 2.3.4 prevents a person from rooting.  We need to downgrade my phone to 2.3.3.  From the sound of things Verizon is pretty much washing their hands of it, since it's "not their problem."  It's HTC's FUBAR.

We will most likely do the downgrade, root my phone, and then as soon as I am eligible for a new phone I'll be switching to an iPhone.  I already use a Mac and iPods.  The cloud thing is nifty and I won't have to run with a phone and an iPod.  I also won't have to deal with a phone OS that is separate from the phone hardware, so compatibility is only between device and carrier, not device, carrier, and OS.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

FWIW, I love my Droid X, and have been through two OS upgrades without issues.  Luck of the draw, I suppose.

xor

I have a samsung something-or-other (don't recall the name, but it speaks Verizon 4Glte).

I love every aspect of it except for one thing which is almost a dealbreaker... it is SUUUUUCH a battery hog.  I realize that all smartphones are, but damn.  4 hours of medium use drains it.

And I don't carry mine while running.  It is kind of big for that, plus I didn't buy replacement insurance.  I suspect it wouldn't live through Seattle rain or a fall. Which I am known to do regularly.

sluggo

John

And I don't carry mine while running.  It is kind of big for that, plus I didn't buy replacement insurance.  I suspect it wouldn't live through Seattle rain or a fall. Which I am known to do regularly.

My solution to running in rain with my Blackberry has been to encase it in a plastic baggy and then store it.

I suppose this is useless if you use your phone for music or something. My intention is to just be available in case a page or important call pops up. The "high tech" baggy solution has done well.

John
                    www.wickedrunningclub.com

In the beginning, the universe was created.This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

--- Douglas Adams, in "The Restaurant at the End of the Universe"

If I want to carry my phone (Samsung Fascinate) I wear my Armpocket Sport 20. It's very comfy. There is an even larger size, the Armpocket Xtreme 30.

I vote for iPhone. Not sure if it can hold a charge for 24 hours. 

an amazing likeness

iPad, hung around your neck, ala Flava Flav, would work well.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

I have an OG Verizon Motorola Droid, 9 months after getting it my fun ended with a great software update that left my battery life to next to nothing and I can't run a single app without it crashing and having to click "wait" over and over until it decides to run. Even things as simple as messaging and settings for christ's sake. But my girlfriend got the Thunderbolt and the same thing happened.. software update ruined it although she denied the update, apparently it installed itself one night. Mom got the Droid Pro, update ruined it, sister got the Incredible 2 I believe and it has been mediocre at best according to her.

Unless Droid phones get a big overhaul, the advertising campaigns won't keep them alive much longer imo. I'm getting a 4s in a month as my droid's keyboard falls off for the 3rd time (on my 3rd phone). Sure certain models are just lemons, but considering they've been out 3 years it's weird they're still consistently screwing phones up w/ software updates.

Just got my 1st iPhone about a month ago (thanks to Sprint's ability to sell them).

Much better than my previous HTC phone (HERO). 

iPhone 4s

Battery life: excellent

Ease of use: excellent

To run, I use a SpyBelt, and put the iPhone in the spy belt.
                            I wear a bluetooth PlanTronic Backbeat 903+ for music, and it works great for receiving calls while running and switching between listening and phone use.  (I love the fact that I don't have wires going from my ears to my phone.  I feel free)

I've had the bluetooth headset for about 3 or 4 months, and I'm hoping it holds up with all of the re-charging necessary and the sweat.  (Time will tell).

MTA: added bonus... the bluetooth headset can be worn and I'm still able to hear the traffic and talk to people.  I've never had another headset where I didn't have to take out the earplugs in order to listen and be attentive to my surroundings.  So far, they get an A+ grade from me.

Best wishes.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I had been holding on to an old Blackberry for as long as I could. I hate the idea of being a wagged by the tail. 

But, it just kept dying.  Even with a brand new, fully charged battery, it went from hero to zero in two hours.  Anyway, I got a Bionic. It takes nice pictures of my kid and has a better navigation system than the iPhone.  The screen is bigger than the iPhone 4S.  I couldn't think of one reason to select the iPhone except that I could befriend an algorithm named Siri(?).  Okayyyyyy?

One thing: The DROID is supposed to have a great battery life, but it seems to drain quickly, as with Stevie Ray and Ken.  I have until Sunday to return it. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

SMART Approach

If you are used to a BlackBerry, get the Bold. You won't be disappointed. I tryed a  touch phone for a bit and simply could not do email or texts well with the touch screen. Of course, I would have gotten used to it but not worth the time for me. I went from the Curve to the Bold about 2 months ago and love it. It is thinner than the Curve. A bit wider. The screen is bigger and it also has a touch option (not for texting/emailing) which is cool. The keyboard is even easier to do emails and texts. It is well made. Battery life is about the same as a Curve - perhaps 10% better. If you need for work (as I do), the BlackBerry is the way to go.  It you want a bit more of a toy, the Iphone, Droids etc. give you a bit more there.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com