2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

dwave Is your coach against it because it forms bad habits/form or because there is an extra mental aspect of running outside? Early on in life I LIVED for the treadmill and even did long runs on them watching tv. I wouldn't run outside because it was boring. Now it seems 5 minutes on a treadmill is another ultra marathon.

cal What is going to come after 100+ mile weeks? Are you planning on entering any ultras this year or straight into CIM training?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

dwave Is your coach against it because it forms bad habits/form or because there is an extra mental aspect of running outside? Early on in life I LIVED for the treadmill and even did long runs on them watching tv. I wouldn't run outside because it was boring. Now it seems 5 minutes on a treadmill is another ultra marathon.

He's worried that treadmills contribute to calf injuries.  For that reason, if one does run on the treadmill, the incline should be kept at 0, according to him.  I suspect he had a predisposition to calf injuries, achilles tendonitis, and stress fractures during his career, because his rules for injury avoidance boil down to wearing highly cushioned shoes with a high heel-toe drop and staying on soft surfaces)

[I keep mine at a default incline of 1.0, and do hill workouts on it, so....]

[should also note that he is opposed to a) yoga, b) lifting, and c) swimming as alternate activities for runners....as you can tell I sometimes do my own thing]

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

M_M_C

Not much of a treadmill runner, but rule of thumb I've always gone by is 1-1.5% incline. I always thought that running on 0% could contribute to injuries...

He's worried that treadmills contribute to calf injuries.  For that reason, if one does run on the treadmill, the incline should be kept at 0, according to him.  I suspect he had a predisposition to calf injuries, achilles tendonitis, and stress fractures during his career, because his rules for injury avoidance boil down to wearing highly cushioned shoes with a high heel-toe drop and staying on soft surfaces)

[should also note that he is opposed to a) yoga, b) lifting, and c) swimming as alternate activities for runners....as you can tell I sometimes do my own thing]

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Not much of a treadmill runner, but rule of thumb I've always gone by is 1-1.5% incline. I always thought that running on 0% could contribute to injuries...

I agree, personally.  0% incline felt awkward; 1% was much more natural feeling.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Sounds in the same vein as a running coach not allowing speed work to be 1 mile "because no one can run the mile without racing it" or something to that effect.

I never learned about the incline when I did treadmill running and I think after so much running outside a 0% anything feels weird. I sometimes wonder how odd it would feel to run a -3% incline on a treadmill.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

I used to run a LOT on 1% (0% felt too easy).  At some point, I started getting recurring calf strains, and blamed it on the 1% (chronic mild dorsiflexion causing calf tension).  However, I continued to get calf strains both on 0% and also on land. Now I think men over 50 are just prone to calf injuries.

CalBears

cal What is going to come after 100+ mile weeks? Are you planning on entering any ultras this year or straight into CIM training?

It all depends on if the races start soon enough - any kinds of races... If the races start, then I am all good no matter what as going through the building the base will make me prepared for any kind of races - ultra or 5K. So, I am not thinking about it much. The only "problem" is if the races will not start for a long time - then I will have to train like this for a longer time Sad

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

OMR

I sometimes wonder how odd it would feel to run a -3% incline on a treadmill.

It definitely takes some getting used to.

OMR

It all depends on if the races start soon enough - any kinds of races... If the races start, then I am all good no matter what as going through the building the base will make me prepared for any kind of races - ultra or 5K. So, I am not thinking about it much. The only "problem" is if the races will not start for a long time - then I will have to train like this for a longer time Sad

cal:  I was kind of hoping that after the week of four 26.2-mile runs, you'd funnel that into three 34M, then two 52.4M, and then one 105M LR. 

Hey to all of you, I've been MIA for a while, but keeping up with the general goings-on, and things are finally starting to calm down for me, so I'm hoping to become a more regular poster again.  My coach wanted me to go through a Speed-Stamina-Speed combo this spring/summer (so, pretty much the opposite of calbears) before jumping into a 10-12 week marathon plan for TC, and I'm just now starting the third week of the second speed block.  It has been a good change for me...my easy run paces (in terms of what my legs just naturally want to run) have dropped roughly 0:40/mile, my legs have a lot more spring in them, and my post-surgery knee has been pretty much pain-free.

CalBears

cal:  I was kind of hoping that after the week of four 26.2-mile runs, you'd funnel that into three 34M, then two 52.4M, and then one 105M LR. 

Why would you want to test your mathematical theories/sequences on a living thing? 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

That makes perfect sense to me.....but sadly he’s gone back to running daily half marathons again. 

Re treadmills - I probably do about 40% of my training on the TM and can’t wait for my gym to re-open. The soft surface means I can run higher mileage/recover quicker with less aches and niggles. I go for faster speed at 0% incline and know the approx difference compared to outside (about 15/20sec per mile according to my HR). My longest treadmill run was 50k in March 2016...40k easy and last 10k at MP iirc which was 4 weeks prior to a 2:51 marathon. Who needs Pfitz or Daniels when you can just make your own shit up. 

Well there’s still hope that London might happen in October. 😁

https://www.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/news-media/latest-news/item/a-message-from-hugh-brasher/index.html

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

OMR

That makes perfect sense to me.....but sadly he’s gone back to running daily half marathons again. 

Well, maybe we could just consider this a cutback week?

The Fargo Marathon announced yesterday that they've been given the green light to hold their races (August 29th for the full).

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Well, maybe we could just consider this a cutback week?

The Fargo Marathon announced yesterday that they've been given the green light to hold their races (August 29th for the full).

What is the weather like for that one?

I'm honestly playing with the idea of traveling to Fargo to race something.  Maybe the half or the 10K?  A marathon in August just doesn't seem like a great idea, even if it's possibly the only game in town.

Running Problem

Problem Child

paging commanderkeen 

commanderkeen your Boston Qualifier for 2021 is ready.

@commanderkeen on instant gram

face book dot com slash commander_keen_259

It is only 13 hours of driving and 878 miles.

VDOT 53.37 

Fargo still gives me the willies, after seeing Steve Buscemi go through the wood chipper.