Asthma and running (Read 166 times)

You should come run the Old Boys' Brewhouse Oktoberfest race in late Sept (HM and full).

Tempting! Any race with a beer-related theme sounds good to me. But I think I am doing the Detroit full this year, and I only know one asthmatic runner on these forums who can do races that close together.

I will let you know if I get to any other races on that side of the state; plenty of good ones in SE MI as well! We can meet up & knock back a couple pre-race shots of Albuterol together.

Dave

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Tempting! Any race with a beer-related theme sounds good to me. But I think I am doing the Detroit full this year, and I only know one asthmatic runner on these forums who can do races that close together.

I will let you know if I get to any other races on that side of the state; plenty of good ones in SE MI as well! We can meet up & knock back a couple pre-race shots of Albuterol together.

Ha!  I don't know any asthmatic runners around here, so it would be fun to commiserate!

Old Boys' is a great race.  The full marathon is reasonably new, but very scenic.  The half is my favorite half ever.  That was my PR HM a few years back.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Hobby Jogger

Well, at age 30 I finally saw a doctor about breathing trouble, and was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma.  I am an extreme skeptic, and very wary of the placebo effect, but a single puff on the inhaler makes a world of difference to me.  Definitely get it checked out.  It might be a simpler fix than you realize.

5/4/19 - Twilight Zone 24 Hour

Well, at age 30 I finally saw a doctor about breathing trouble, and was diagnosed with exercise induced asthma.  I am an extreme skeptic, and very wary of the placebo effect, but a single puff on the inhaler makes a world of difference to me.  Definitely get it checked out.  It might be a simpler fix than you realize.

If an Albuterol inhaler is a placebo, it is the greatest one ever invented. I have rarely encountered another (legal) medication with such an immediate, dramatic effect.

Dave

A Saucy Wench

Yeah, every single time I have taken albuterol I have 4-48 hours of wheezing and shortness of breath.  Friday I did an entire nebulizer of albuterol for the PFT test and I had chest pains until this morning.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Docket_Rocket

I have 5 cats right now.  All indoors.  They don't affect my asthma that much.

That's good news! So...what is it then?

Damaris, my dad also smoked like a chimney. Oh yeah, and we had a cat. I don't know that any of that caused it, but it sure didn't help keep it under control. The solution was when dad was smoking and my asthma was bothering me, I should go in the other room. And don't let the cat sleep with me. I'm sure none of that was connected with all those middle of the night ER visits. But I couldn't eat chocolate, because apparently that aggravates it. WTF were those people thinking? (Do I have repressed anger from 40 years ago?)

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

I do allergy shots and they have worked wonders on my asthma.

I am certain that most of my own asthma issues were the result of 2nd-hand smoke.  And now allergies simply exacerbate things.  I have given up on running the largest 25k in the US ever again, even though it's practically in my back yard.  3x running it in the middle of asthma/allergy Hell and I'm not willing to train to run while sick ever again.  Pity, since it's a really fun race.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Eventually I plan to go through testing and shots (my mom did shots for about 5 years and they've really helped her)...it's a matter of logistics.  We're in the middle of a major move, so I'm either going to have to find a new PCP closer to where we'll live or deal with driving 30 minutes each way to the allergist every few days for shots.

I do allergy shots and they have worked wonders on my asthma.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Docket_Rocket

Mine is 30 minutes.  Fortunately, my plan covers them 100%; otherwise I might be broke.  But they have made a huge change in my running.  I'm back to pre-asthma levels and last year I saw no end in sight.  Hope your life calms down enough for you to start them.

Eventually I plan to go through testing and shots (my mom did shots for about 5 years and they've really helped her)...it's a matter of logistics.  We're in the middle of a major move, so I'm either going to have to find a new PCP closer to where we'll live or deal with driving 30 minutes each way to the allergist every few days for shots.

Damaris

Fundraising Page