First Race Completed (Read 825 times)

Slow-smooth-fast

The day finally arrived yesterday, 10K first ever road race. Can't tell you how nervous I was. I went to the race with my brother who is a decent fell runner. We got to the front, I was reluctant to do so, as I was surriunded by top international runners. Anyhow,I made the mistake oif going off too fast. Through the first mile marker, I was at 7 minutes, which is about 50 seconds quicker than my normal pace. From this moment on I was dying for the rest of the race. Anyhow I managed to finish in 50:20, which was what i was aiming for.By the way ,my brother did it in 35:06. Now that I am in the new year, I really want ot work on this and get it down to a decent time. Also is it realistic to assume that i can shave mimutes of this time over the coming year. Take in consideration I am currently dieting, lost 3 stone up to now, got another 2 to go, and only been training for 4 moinths. I need a strcit regime to stick to, any help would really be appreciated. F/b guys appreciated.

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

Great job. Fast time! I'm inspired.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey, Eddy, we'd be happy to have you join us over in the Jiggly Joggers group. We're all trying to drop weight and get off on the right foot for the new year. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, and congrats on your first race--you are officially a runner! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Slow-smooth-fast

Hey, Eddy, we'd be happy to have you join us over in the Jiggly Joggers group. We're all trying to drop weight and get off on the right foot for the new year. Smile k
            I have joined, and thanks

"I've been following Eddy's improvement over the last two years on this site, and it's been pretty dang solid. Sure the weekly mileage has been up and down, but over the long haul he's getting out the door and has turned himself into quite a runner. He's only now just figuring out his potential. Consistency in running is measured in years, not weeks. And over the last couple of years, Eddy's made great strides" Jeff 14 Jan 2009

JakeKnight

From this moment on I was dying for the rest of the race. Anyhow I managed to finish in 50:20, which was what i was aiming for.By the way ,my brother did it in 35:06. Now that I am in the new year, I really want ot work on this and get it down to a decent time. Also is it realistic to assume that i can shave mimutes of this time over the coming year. Take in consideration I am currently dieting, lost 3 stone up to now, got another 2 to go, and only been training for 4 moinths. I need a strcit regime to stick to, any help would really be appreciated. F/b guys appreciated.
              Congratulations! And for the record, your 50:20 is a "decent time" by any standard; for someone with a little weight to lose, with only 4 months training, it's much better than "decent." Pretty impressive, in fact.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Sweet work!! Getting past 3 miles is a real feat! It's all downhill From here Wink JN, did you race downtown this morning?
                JakeKnight

JN, did you race downtown this morning?
                  Nope. Thought about it, but I'm temporarily sidelined from anything fast (or fastish, in my case). Did you?

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Nope. Thought about it, but I'm temporarily sidelined from anything fast (or fastish, in my case). Did you?
                    I did. But my finish time suggests I am also sidelined from running fastish. A measly 22:40. Oh wait. I forgot. You can just go look yourself. You see, it is now 2007 and per your request, I am logging HERE! Big grin Happy New Year!!

Slow-smooth-fast

you guys say its an ok time, and realistically I cant complain in such a short time, but I really want to get it to the 43 minute mark. Is this attainable? I am currently follwoing the pln at runnersworld.co.uk, but I am not sure if this will help me improve my time? Kind of feels funny when it tells me to do an eay run. at 9:55 pace. Barrely moving? Im confused, and just want a dedicated plan where I have something concrete to stick to to improve. COme on guysm advise is always appreciated.

Great job! I'm very impressed with your 50:20 pace. I'd be happy to run every 10 K at that pace. That said, if you want to improve your times, I suggest that you run with faster runners. Either enter one race a month, or, run with your brother as much as possible. One of the great pleasures of being a new runner, is the huge improvements you see in your first year. I'm willing to bet you will break 48 in your next race. Good luck.

Slow-smooth-fast

thanks for the advise, not always possible to get out with quicker runners. I am just a little confused. On runners world it says enter a previous race time, then it develops a 16 week training plan. How am I supposed to know what the outcome of this plan is? I eant to become a lot quicker and will following this plan do this? Anyone got any concrete plans?

mikeymike

Eddy, nice job on your first race--that must have been fun. I think what you are looking for does not exist. Everyone responds differently and at different rates to training. There is no way to know exactly what results you will get--you just have to put in the time and the work and see. You've obviously got some natural talent based on the quick progress you've made so far and you seem to come from decent running genes (your brother runs 35 min 10k's) so I think 43 minutes is well within your reach. How long will it take to get there? Nobody knows. I think right now you don't necessarily need to follow a specific race training plan. What you need most of all is to continue to build a base of mileage. Nothing will come close to giving you the same bang for the buck as simply building a big base of aerobic fitness. If you can consistently run mileage for the next several months you will get faster. You might even crack 43 for 10k off of that alone. Trying to take your recent 10k and use it as a basis for designing a training plan is probably not a great idea--your 10k time is a rapidly moving target as you are improving your basic running fitness quickly. Each week try to do a 90-minute run, a 60-minute run and 2-4 easy 30 to 45-minute runs. You want to change the pace once in a while? Throw in some easy fartlek once in a while to keep things interesting. But that's it. Otherwise, easy miles. If you can do that for 3 months you will be significantly faster than you are now and you will have a base to build on.

Runners run

WOW...I'd kill for that time! I'm shooting to do a 10K in under 60 mins. Congrats!!

Slow-smooth-fast

Each week try to do a 90-minute run, a 60-minute run and 2-4 easy 30 to 45-minute runs. You want to change the pace once in a while? Throw in some easy fartlek once in a while to keep things interesting. But that's it. Otherwise, easy miles. If you can do that for 3 months you will be significantly faster than you are now and you will have a base to build on. Really apprciate that advise. I will definitely keep building, especially coming from yourself who has a fantastic log. many thanks again.I will keep you posted of my progress.