Boston Marathon -- it really is "out of this world" (Read 683 times)

Jill_B

I fly.

Bring it on.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

So, um, what makes this Boston? Can I run 26.2 earthbound miles on a treadmill and call it Boston? Perhaps I can call Country Music Marathon Boston. What fun you can have when you start calling things by names they are not...
      Jill_B

I fly.

So, um, what makes this Boston?
        I have no idea. But I like the way you are thinking. I'm calling the Monkey Boston. Now I can walk around saying, "Yeah, I ran Boston last November."

Bring it on.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

More like "I monkeyed Boston last November" Wink
            I have no idea. But I like the way you are thinking. I'm calling the Monkey Boston. Now I can walk around saying, "Yeah, I ran Boston last November."
            I have never run in Boston, but if I have, I could honestly say I ran Boston. Only people who run would be confused. (I guess that means I wouldnt be.)
            Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You know, I ran this morning. It was beautiful and foggy in the hills of Percy Warner. I did 6 miles on the cross country field and on some of the bigger climbs. Yep, I ran this morning. Therefore, I ran Boston.
                You know, I ran this morning. It was beautiful and foggy in the hills of Percy Warner. I did 6 miles on the cross country field and on some of the bigger climbs. Yep, I ran this morning. Therefore, I ran Boston.
                I hobbled this morning. Does that mean I gimped Nashville?
                  Hey Trent, is your nose itching?
                  Jill_B

I fly.

Hey, I ran Percy Warner today too! That must mean that I have run Boston twice!
                    I have never run in Boston, but if I have, I could honestly say I ran Boston.
                    I have run in Boston. In fact, I've run Heartbreak Hill in Newton. Therefore I must have run Boston three times! I'm loving this! (Yes, I need a life!) Big grin

Bring it on.

I kind of feel bad for her. It's tough enough to BQ in the first place. I can't imagine there's another runner who had to skip Boston because she was off-planet. I hope the BAA gives her a break & let's run next year without having to qualify again. What's it like to get back into marathon shape after losing muscle mass & bone density from being weightless for months on end?
                      JakeKnight

So, um, what makes this Boston? Can I run 26.2 earthbound miles on a treadmill and call it Boston? Perhaps I can call Country Music Marathon Boston. What fun you can have when you start calling things by names they are not...
                        Dude. Do they just not teach reading in med school? She qualified for Boston. She's running it on the same day as Boston. The BAA is sending her (correction: offered to send - had to be e-mailed - mail service sucks in space) a real Boston Marathon bib and a real finisher's medal (well, if she finishes). Hence ... Boston. Quit abusing that prescription pad. Get a copy of Hooked on Phonics. And lay off the homemade brew. Sheesh.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                        -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Right. Got it. So if I run the same day as Boston I can say I bandited the Boston Marathon. Sweet idea bro!
                            Dude. Do they just not teach reading in med school?
                            Generally reading is a pre-req and not taught in med school. At least that seemed to be the case when I applied, maybe things were different back when real docs applied. Tongue In med school we are taught to memorize and to skim by just reading the first few paragraphs of a paper (aka the abstract) to decide if it is worth reminding ourselves how to read.
                            JakeKnight

Right. Got it. So if I run the same day as Boston I can say I bandited the Boston Marathon. Sweet idea bro!
                              Nope. But if you qualify (dare to dream), and you get sent somewhere where you can't run it - like, Iraq. Or Afghanistan. Or, um, outer space ... someplace that'll make a nice puff piece in the paper ... then sure. You're in. And I'll still beat you by 2 minutes. And you still need to lay off the free meds.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                              -----------------------------

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The runners in Iraq and Afganistan ran 26.2 road miles in the heat and with full gravity. That's heroism on top of heroism. That is not running for hours on a treadmill. In zero gravity. I don't know what that is. You can defer Boston a year.