My Skechers GO run ride Wear Test notes (Read 1421 times)

npaden

Just bought a pair of the original GoRuns at Amazon for $40 with free shipping.  Worth a try anyway.

I'm turning into a shoe junky, but just hard to pass these up when they are on sale like that.

Right now I have 4 different active shoes that I'm running with and I still have a pair in the closet that I haven't pulled out of the box yet.

I'm running in a pair of Asics Cumulus 13's, Ascis Blur33, Innov-8 F-lite 230 and occasionally in a pair of Vibram Spyridons.  The pair in the closet is an Innov-8 F-Lite 195.

I need to retire my 2 pairs of Ascis Cumulus 12's, they seem to have lost their cushioning.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

jms23

I brought a pair last weekend.  I only ran twice in these one being a 16km run.  The shoes are nice and I am surprised on how comfortable running in them are.  Can't say much however on how durable the sole and upper are.

npaden

I've got 3 pairs of Go Runs already, but am trying to decide on whether to pull the trigger on some more or not.  They are now on sale at Amazon as low as $26.24 in some colors!

http://www.amazon.com/Skechers-Mens-Run-Sneaker-Navy/dp/B007BL5O5C/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358192771&sr=8-1

I've only got 100 miles on my first pair though and I'm still not 100% sure I'm sold on them or not.  Still have 2 pair on the shelf that I bought when I thought they were a great deal at $40.00.

One problem that is just more annoying than anything is that the treads pick up small rocks like they are going out of style.  A normal post run routine is to pick 7 or 8 small rocks out of the tread.  I run on a lot of gravel and that compounds the issue, but even when I run in town they will end up picking up a few rocks.

The other issue is the hump in the midsole.  I don't seem to notice it when I'm actually running, but it sure bugs me when I'm walking around after the run.  I couldn't wear these as a daily wear type shoe because of it.

I'm a sucker for a good deal and it's killing me to not buy any more of these at this amazing price, but until I get a few hundred more miles on the ones I have I'm not sure long term if I'm going to like them or not.  By then they will probably be sold out.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

degregorius

I'm on my  third pair of Skechers, and my second pair of Skechers Go Run .  I bought the Go Run Rides at DSW.  I like the room in the toe box and the instep.

As to this comment:

"One problem that is just more annoying than anything is that the treads pick up small rocks like they are going out of style..."

Yes.  I've had it happen too. I have to be mindful to check the soles and pry out the occasional rock.

Other than that, it's my only complaint.

I alternate between running in the GoRuns, and the Skechers fitness shoes.

As for walking in them, I've hung on to my first pair, and have changed my walking style so that there is less of a heel strike.

Chasing the bus

I keep reading they are roomier, wider, than other shoes, but the rides are not available in wide, so how wide are they? Will they fit me if I normally take a 2E?

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
            Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

npaden

I don't think I would consider them suitable for a wide foot.

npaden

Well, logged another 100 miles on the Sketchers using them pretty much exclusively the last couple weeks and decided to go ahead and pickup a couple more pairs and they aren't $26 anymore they went up to $42!!!

Also the Go Run 2 is out and I saw some reviews on it and they look really nice.  They are $75 right now on amazon.

I'm pushing 200 miles now on my first pair of Go Runs and have noticeable wear on the sole of the shoe, mainly where I push off with my toes.  The first couple bumps are worn down smooth with the rest of the sole now.  I think the Go Run 2 have solved this by putting some hard rubber right on the tip of the toe.

Right on Hereford...

I have the Go Bionic and the Go Run 2, and I've been very impressed with both.

Both are super flexible and soft, as noted by others. The Go Bionic is one of the best minimal shoes I've tried. The Go Run 2 has more cushioning and is a real head-turner due to its color scheme. Regarding the "hump" -- the GR2 has it, but I think it has been minimized compared to the hump in the original Go Run. I felt it, but it didn't seem like a big deal. The Go Bionic does not have that hump.

The only issue I've had was the GR2 seems to irritate the top of my right foot in a particular spot. I can't say it's that shoe as the definite cause, but I noticed it when I was running in the GR2 and haven't figured it out yet. Not a huge deal -- could just be the way I'm lacing them.

Half Fanatic #846

"One problem that is just more annoying than anything is that the treads pick up small rocks like they are going out of style..."

Yes.  I've had it happen too. I have to be mindful to check the soles and pry out the occasional rock.

Can't speak for the other Skechers models, but as far as the Go Bionics picking up small rocks and gravel in the treads, they do - but that's no problem. Mine don't pick up rocks big enough to notice, and each time I finish a run, I simply bend the shoe sole which releases any trapped rocks. The flex grooves (or whatever they're called) are so pliable that I've never had to "pry" any gravel out, and I've run in them on gravel roads two or three times.

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

nachosgrande

Just thought I'd chime in on the original GoRuns.  They've got them on sale again on Amazon for $26.  Just bought my first pair a couple of weeks ago and so far so good.  Nice roomy toebox and a very flexible last.  The midsole rocker doesn't really come into play once you're running (assuming you're not a heel striker).  I agree with others that it makes for a very uncomfortable walking/standing shoe.  But for running, these things are just great.  Going to pick up another half dozen while they're still available at that price.

Half Fanatic #846

Out of curiosity, I just checked Amazon for Skechers Go Bionics and found a pair for $52.  I used my $26 in points  to get that pair for cheap, although I had to "cheat" a little (by using points).  I'm happy!

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

npaden

Can't speak for the other Skechers models, but as far as the Go Bionics picking up small rocks and gravel in the treads, they do - but that's no problem. Mine don't pick up rocks big enough to notice, and each time I finish a run, I simply bend the shoe sole which releases any trapped rocks. The flex grooves (or whatever they're called) are so pliable that I've never had to "pry" any gravel out, and I've run in them on gravel roads two or three times.

Thanks for this tip.  It is alot easier to just take the shoe off after my run and bend it around and the rocks just fall out instead of getting a stick and prying the rocks out one by one.  The rocks don't really bother me while I'm running, except for when I have one that clicks everytime I take a step when I end up on pavement with a rock stuck in the wrong spot.

What kind of tread life are other people getting?  My first pair just crossed 200 miles and has noticeable wear in the toe area.  I think I'll get another couple hundred miles out of them but not sure if they will last any longer than that.

degregorius

What kind of tread life are other people getting?  My first pair just crossed 200 miles and has noticeable wear in the toe area.  I think I'll get another couple hundred miles out of them but not sure if they will last any longer than that.

My GoRun rides have 270 miles on them.  I don't notice any tread wear, as compared to the first pair of GoRuns i bought.  Maybe I can take them past the 300 mile mark.

J-L-C

I like them better than previous minimal shoes I've bought like the Nike Free 3.0, Saucony Hattori and Lemings.

Hope this helps! 

How do they compare to your Free 3.0s? Mine are so tight in the toe box, especially height wise (both v3 and v4). Also, how's the sizing?

Do you wear the same size in both? I'll have to order mine online without being able to try them on so am trying to figure out a comparison.

degregorius

I've gotten so used to the GO run rides, and a pair of the fitness shoes that when I put on a pair of dress shoes, it feels like I'm wearing stiletto heels!Confused