Running Barefoot on a Treadmill (Read 615 times)

Rundadrun27

Has anyone ever tried this? I read on another forum where a person actually tried this while rehabbing an injury. I would never try this because to me this doesn't sound like a safe thing to do. Also the Treadmill I run on is at my local YMCA, and one of their regulations is that proper footwear is required at all times.

The young Mama Bear!

I personally wouldn't. My ankle rolls in when I strike, and that's WITH shoes. I wouldn't want to get perma-damage going on with my ankle.
      Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
      Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.
      Ed4

Barefoot and happy

Never tried barefoot on a treadmill, mostly because I hate treadmills. Did an 8 miler barefoot yesterday outside, though. I'm doing about 20 miles per week barefoot, and another 20 in Vibram FiveFingers. Adding barefoot running to my training has been a huge benefit for me. My form, balance, lower-leg strength, and efficiency are all much better, and all knee pains went away. Obviously you need to start out very slow and be smart about it -- your feet are extremely weak and wimpy compared to the rest of you if you've always worn shoes. Going barefoot means starting from scratch again. goddess9, everyone's ankles roll to some extent on landing. Pronation is natural and necessary. Some people overpronoate, and some underpronate, which can cause problems. When you're barefoot, you get much more feedback from your feet which makes it easier to find your natural form. Running shoes are designed to control pronation, which gives the muscles that are supposed to control it nothing to do, and makes them weak.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.

The young Mama Bear!

Oh I know that, but I'm just saying that's why I wouldn't want to run barefoot. I'm an overpronator, so I wouldn't want to make that worse. And besides, I am not a fan of treadmills. Dead
          Couch to 5K support group! Short-term goals: - Sub 35 5K - Complete my 16-week 10K training plan.
          Long term goals: - Sub 30 5K. - Compete in a 5K. - Train for a triathlon. - Compete in a 10K.

Outside Lane

Good article in new Runner's World (one with Ryan Hall on cover) on Vibram FiveFingers...

See how they run...