A new PR !! Intrepid Dezine Half Marathon (Read 979 times)

still alive

I drove up to Winnipeg last weekend with a goal of beating my record time for a half marathon. Exactly one year ago I ran this course in 1:51:30. I was determined, anxious, and excited at the beginning. I started out pretty fast with pacing less than 8 minutes per mile. By around mile 10 I was feeling the effects and my heel started hurting. It slowed me down just a little bit, but despite the pain, I pushed on. Here I am just coming into the stadium for the finish. My official time was 1:47:27 !! I came inm 513 out of 3469. More than 4 minutes faster than my previous record. Can't ask for much more on Father's day than to beat a personal best and have your son cheering you on to the finish line. I need to get longer socks! This is such a long way from where I started . . .

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Great work on the PR, the great pics and the improvements you have made!!
        Nice job, Greg. Looking fit. Keep it up.
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Greg, you rock! But your poor heel makes me cringe! Do your shoes slip on your heels or do they just come up too high in the back? A year ago I had a pair of NB 1000s that were shaped oddly in the back and rubbed my right heel raw--I still have a discolored area of scar tissue. Your son is so sweet. I'll bet you have a running buddy soon! Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Awesome! Maybe one day I'll be as fast as you. Smile So what happened to the ING sunglasses?

Vim

still alive

Thanks! My shoes fit fine. My socks were just too short, slipped down, and I rubbed it raw. The ING glasses I picked up in April at the ING Trestle Valley Marathon in Minot, ND. That was a fun race with only a couple hundred people. I did the half there in 1:56 and change. Half way through this race it got a little too cloudy for glasses and they started to bug my nose, so I pocketed them. I was kind of hoping for a 1:45 race, but that wasn't to be. I'm still thrilled with a sub-150. Not bad for a clydesdale who couldn't walk around the block without getting winded a few years ago. I need to shave off some more weight and I'll be there. I have a full marathon scheduled in October (Twin Cities Medtronic Marathon). Here are my splits according to the garmin . . Lap Time Distance 1 7:48 1.00 2 7:56 1.00 3 7:56 1.00 4 7:50 1.00 5 8:18 1.00 <-- with="" a="" pit="" stop="" 6="" 7:58="" 1.00="" 7="" 8:03="" 1.00="" 8="" 8:10="" 1.00="" 9="" 8:19="" 1.00=""></--><-- feeling="" the="" distance="" 10="" 8:21="" 1.00=""></--><-- feeling="" the="" distance="" 11="" 8:07="" 1.00="" 12="" 8:25="" 1.00=""></--><-- slowed down to check on my heel - couldn't do anything about it, so i just kept going. 13 8:07 1.00 14 2:04 0.28 slowed="" down="" to="" check="" on="" my="" heel="" -="" couldn't="" do="" anything="" about="" it,="" so="" i="" just="" kept="" going.="" 13="" 8:07="" 1.00="" 14="" 2:04=""></-- slowed down to check on my heel - couldn't do anything about it, so i just kept going. 13 8:07 1.00 14 2:04 0.28>

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

va

...Not bad for a clydesdale who couldn't walk around the block without getting winded a few years ago. I need to shave off some more weight and I'll be there...
                Greg, these are great numbers! How did you get so fast? Were you a good runner when you were a kid?

Along for the Ride

Awesome PR Greg! I was very moved by your before picture and the pic of you finishing the Half with a new PR. You're right, there can be no better present on a fathers day. You probably gave your son a gift too - more quality years with his dad.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

still alive

Greg, these are great numbers! How did you get so fast? Were you a good runner when you were a kid?
                    No! As a matter of fact, I was never really athletic when I was younger. I lost a lot of weight (~50 pounds) by riding my bike and working out at the gym. I started running only two years ago to try to drop another 30 pounds. This is my 5th half marathon. My first was last spring about a year after I started running. I did just under 2 hours. My first full in January at Disney in the heat and humidity was awesome, but slow (4:33). It's addicting! I started running to lose weight. Somewhere along the way I ran a race and, as is typical, began to run to compete!

Greg in ND

One day at a time.

Wow Greg, congrats on the PR! And wow, what a transformation ... what a healthy, fit, wonderful example you are setting for your son Smile Great job! Big grin Modified to add: your poor heels! What's a bitch is getting them to heel while still running (I bought shoes that came up higher than my old shoes and had similar looking heels ... I kept RE opening the sores every time I ran)
                      2009: BQ?
                        Congratulations! Nice PR. Great picture of you and on your son. I like your two handed wave in the third picture, looks like you were having fun. Smile

Michelle

That's great! Congrats and thanks for sharing the report and pics!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                          Thyroid Support Group

Way to go, Greg! Nice job on the PR and the weight loss!

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?