Running camps for teens (Read 66 times)

Village people

Does anyone have experience with any of these camps? There is one at Acadia National Park run by our xcountry coach that I am considering. Any thoughts? Thanks

mikeymike

No first hand experience--my one daughter who did xc in hs was always too busy in the summer to go to xc camp--but whenever I've been running in Acadia and come across a group of kids from one of the running camps I've been insanely envious.

Runners run

Village people

Thanks. Good point. He is still a freshman so his job opportunities will be limited but he could carve out a week. We just got back from Dartmouth Relays and he is totally hooked.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

The running camp in Acadia is already full for this summer.  My son did a Nike running camp in North Carolina that he enjoyed.

Village people

The running camp in Acadia is already full for this summer.  My son did a Nike running camp in North Carolina that he enjoyed.

This is one run by his coach for his school team. I was wondering about other camps. What kind of things did he do? Did he find it helpful? Did his times improve? Thanks.

Looking for an older thread and stumbled over this.

My son did a Nike running camp in North Carolina that he enjoyed.

My daughter did a camp out of Asheville NC after her freshman year that may have been this one. It was fun for her, they worked hard, did some great mountain runs, she made some friends from other schools she has to this day,  etc. I think it helped her for the next year as she set a PR and won all all sorts of accolades, but she was at a pretty high level after her freshman year so all that probably would have occurred anyway.

But there was an elite/invite-only camp in the Rockies that my daughter was invited to the following year (PM me if you need the name, I have it buried somewhere) and I saw first hand how that camp helped one of her rivals who was a couple years older. My daughter had beaten this other girl every race her freshman year (it was basically 3 seniors, my daughter then this other girl each meet). The rival went to the Rockies camp and was unbeatable her senior year. I believe she runs at U Florida now. I have been told that it is not just about the training, but it helps with the mindset, desire, plus some diet hints etc.

AceHarris

I did a running camp in Asheville/Brevard, NC in high school and loved it! It was staffed by NC State runners at the time. It was awesome! Learned a lot and really enjoyed it. Had a great XC season that Fall too.

Road Mile: 5:19 (2017), 5k: 17:09 (2021), 10k: 35:54 (2021), HM: 1:21:55 (2020), M: 2:53:18 (2021)

Village people

Finally got the lowdown from the coach. It is school run, they tent and volunteer at Acadia national park. I kind of want to go.