2019 Sub 3 hour marathon thread (Read 680 times)

jayluf

Yeah I just buy a cheap $10 throwaway water bottle from amazon and stuff my chews in there. Also helps start hydrating early and avoid the crowding of early aid stations.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW - love that picture. Maybe I should practice on my 13 mile final "long" run this weekend with gels pinned on just to see if i like it, will definitely body glide as needed. The Maurten gels are a bit bulky though which may make it harder to fold in but I'll do my best.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - love that picture. Maybe I should practice on my 13 mile final "long" run this weekend with gels pinned on just to see if i like it, will definitely body glide as needed. The Maurten gels are a bit bulky though which may make it harder to fold in but I'll do my best.

I actually do all of my 20s with the 10-12 gels pinned - not because I take more than 1-2, but just to get very comfortable with running with all my gels.  I look a bit ridiculous, but marathon training IS inherently ridiculous, so whatever.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

DW - since I know you like arm warmers, where do you get yours from? I can't really seem to find any. Running Warehouse said they're out because it's not a seasonal item since summer is coming.

Tube Socks. Cut the ends off. Cheaper than official arm warmers unless they sell them at the expo and you're willing to bank on that.

As for gels, I'd assume ANYONE in here could grab one or two from an aid station and carry it until their planned nutrition stop/time. I've put them in my pockets and I've used Gatorade, Gu, Honey Stinger and Cliff shots, but I don't run in a 3" short so without pockets I'd just carry one or two at the start and pick them up along the course. The problem with shoving them in gloves or arm warmers is you can't take them off until all your gels are gone. This is ONE advantage of not being fat adapted (slow), or taking food on training runs. I get more chances to figure this out. I run in Brooks shorts with little pockets on the side and I can hold two on each hip plus one or two in the rear pocket. I even fold them up (top to bottom, not bottom to top) and store the empty ones in my shorts during most runs. I hate runner trash.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

slingrunner

A couple weeks ago I bought 6 Maurtens during my run, and had to carry then for 5+ miles.  I stuffed them all in my arm warmers.  I looked a bit like the hulk, but it worked.  One problem with that strategy is that we don't know what the weather is going to be...that will also dictate whether I have shorts with pockets or not.  My plan is to start with 2 or 3, and have my crew give me 2x2 along the way.  I was thinking of downing one right at the start.

5k- 18:55 (2018)    10K- 39:04 (2017)    Marathon- 3:00:10 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

As for gels, I'd assume ANYONE in here could grab one or two from an aid station and carry it until their planned nutrition stop/time

That's assuming that you like and can use the official race gel.  For me, there are some brands that have very negative consequences, to the point where it's better to go without.

The Maurtens are bigger than GU gels, right?

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

M_M_C

I've never had it, but I hear the Cliff citrus flavor is wicked good.

3K: 8:29.12 (2017)     5K: 14:56.59 (2016)     8K: 25:27 (2016)     15K: 53:46 (2022)     HM: 75:41 (2022)     FM: 2:43:17 (2022)

Running Problem

Problem Child

That's assuming that you like and can use the official race gel.  For me, there are some brands that have very negative consequences, to the point where it's better to go without.

The Maurtens are bigger than GU gels, right?

Also assuming the race offers gels somewhere before the half marathon point also. BAA says mile 11, 17 and 21.5 have Clif shots (Mocha, Ctirus, Vanilla and Razz specifically). So IF cliff shots work AND the weather supports it, carrying a gel or two from the start should be enough for race supplied nutrition.

Since Maurten gels are a thing over here and the weather is unknown I'd personally wear shorts with rear and side pockets to stash them in. Arm sleeves might not be required like sling said and any additional layer (tights or jacket) probably has a pocket to stash them in.  Yeah they're bigger. They would probably still work using your tuck method, although I believe they're more fluid than other gels.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Madison: Good luck tomorrow! Looks like you've had a smart taper week and are ready to roll. If tracking is possible for Milwaukee it would be great to have your bib #.

DW: 12 gels, that is impressive! Do you typically consume all 12 during a marathon?  The Maurten gels are definitely bulkier than GUs; though the weight is not much greater (40g vs 32g) the density of the Maurtens seems to be much less so they are larger. Still not as big as SIS though.

2:52:16 (2018)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW: 12 gels, that is impressive! Do you typically consume all 12 during a marathon?  The Maurten gels are definitely bulkier than GUs; though the weight is not much greater (40g vs 32g) the density of the Maurtens seems to be much less so they are larger. Still not as big as SIS though.

Nope - take 8-9 usually.  I like having extras because stuff leaks, drops, etc.  Plus I carry an assortment, and sometimes one flavor will sit well while another won't.

(and yes, I arrange them - something like caffeinated on one side, caffeine-free on the other.  Rocktane in the front, plain behind.)

On a related note - I can't carry gels in my arm-warmers - the arm-warmers are just too loose, and sometimes slide down on me.  Despite the fact that I do upper arm strengthwork regularly, and am pretty strong, I have chicken arms.    Which I guess is a good thing for running.

Good luck Madison!

madisonrunner

Madison: Good luck tomorrow! Looks like you've had a smart taper week and are ready to roll. If tracking is possible for Milwaukee it would be great to have your bib #.

Thanks JT and DW (and everyone else) for the good luck wishes.  I think I'm ready - here's hoping that 5:50 pace feels easy Saturday morning.  It doesn't look like there is race tracking and regardless I don't have a bib # yet.  It's a bit weird - I have a bar code to pick up my bib tomorrow morning but no number.  I don't even know what corral I'm in.

finbad

Yup, good luck Madison!

As for gels I've been quite happy with the lycra girdle option, it can be a bit of a fiddle getting them out but it's better than them being vertical and feeling them jiggling around. If it's cold and I've got on arm warmers I'll maybe do that, it worked well in my last half but that was just one gel.

This week saw the return of PF pain........ and then its total disappearance. Going home to pack this evening as I fly out  on Sunday.

Upcoming; 14th Sep Scottish veterans XC trials, 289th Sep Great Scottish Run 1/2, 12th October TAMA half marathon, 27th October Leeds Abbey dash 10k

weatherboy80

Best of luck Madison!  Fitness is there just go get it!

Very early indications for Boston look pretty chilly.  Who knows on the specifics regarding timing of fronts with wind and rain, but the pattern for the northeast looks below normal through the next 10-15 days.

1mile: 4:46 (12/20) | 5K: 15:57 (3/21)  |  10K: 33:40 (4/20)  |  15K 51:43 (4/21) | HM: 1:15:03 (12/20)  |  FM: 2:40:30 (1/20)

ZZCaptainObvious

Thanks JT and DW (and everyone else) for the good luck wishes.  I think I'm ready - here's hoping that 5:50 pace feels easy Saturday morning.  It doesn't look like there is race tracking and regardless I don't have a bib # yet.  It's a bit weird - I have a bar code to pick up my bib tomorrow morning but no number.  I don't even know what corral I'm in.

Huh - I thought that the logistics for that marathon seemed wonky. Best of Luck!

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Best of luck Madison!  Fitness is there just go get it!

Very early indications for Boston look pretty chilly.  Who knows on the specifics regarding timing of fronts with wind and rain, but the pattern for the northeast looks below normal through the next 10-15 days.

As long as it doesn't rain, I'll take chilly all day long. Chilly for you (low 40s) is perfect for everybody else! I ran in low 60s this weekend I realized why people fry at Boston after coming off of winter training. I used to look the conditions in 2016 and think "why was everyone so bad" but it was from my lens of fall marathon training, where low 70s with low dew points feels like the winter.

ETA a few more comments:

Fin - My taper madness is my cold. I got over the fever/chills on Tuesday, but now I have the dreaded lingering cough/sore throat. My last cough lasted 4 weeks, so it better not be that bad. The things we put ourselves through...

Madison - Best of luck. You seem to always hit the weather jackpot.

DW - You're racing this weekend right? If so, good luck!

JT - How's your taper going?

Gels - I had originally planned on taking 4 gels at 5, 10, 15, 20. But I realized taking a gel at mile 20 is going to be impossible or lead to horrible consequences at Boston with the Newton hills. So I've edited it to take my last gel at mile 18, with other gels at 3, 8, and 13. I just don't see my stomach recovering from mile 20 such that I could try to squeeze one in later than that.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)