3 Days of Syllamo - Stage Race Report (Read 831 times)

You'll ruin your knees!

Here is a report from a three day stage race I completed in Northern Arkansas last month. Short story, finished 50K stage on Friday, 50 Mile stage on Saturday, 20K stage on Sunday. Ran well, food/hydration was spot on, smiled almost the entire weekend. Slept in my truck each night witnessing the fury of electrical storms and thunder, rain and some hail. Race peeps were incredible, race course was phenominal! Report WITH Pics for JK

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Lynn, That is the best race report, EVER! Great job on the race. I'm going to pencil this one in for next year.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

3 days of ultra craziness? Dead And, you're not the only ultra nut who did this! Surprised Thanks for sharing your report and giving me a Hi5 at Grasslands.

Vim

Really enjoyed your race report, and those beautiful photographs. Congratulations!
          Dorsey

San Diego 1997: 4:59:59, San Diego 1999: 4:37:23, Carlsbad 2008: 6:32:21, America's Finest City Half Aug 2008: ??

"Run if you can. Walk if you must. Crawl if you have to. Just don't give up."

Another Passion

Nice, Lynn! I really enjoy reading your reports, my friend. I can only imagine (right now) completing such a race, but I am intrigued. Well done on both the race and the report. Your camping style harkens me back to my father and my early days of salmon fishing trips on Lake Michigan. He had a pair of bunk beds he had made in the back of his '78 Suburban which were quite comfy, some screen velcroed to the windows to allow for mosquito-less ventilation, and cooking on the tailgate on a Coleman stove. I don't recommend frozen Banquet fried chicken cooked in foil on a Coleman stove though. It made me ill. Great memories. Thanks.

Rick
            "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
            "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
            runningforcassy.blogspot.com

JakeKnight

Okay, comments and questions: * Great report, great race! * Where exactly is it? Arkansas isn't all that far from here, and I'm hungry to start joining you. That one sounds like a blast. I'm a little bummed about missing my first ultra this weekend (ahem), even though its probably a good thing for my poor legs. Reading your report, running vicariously through you, makes it a little better. * As much as I like the pictures ... it wouldn't kill you to take a couple of your face, you know. * What kind of camera do you use? Trent has a little one that works well, and I want something like it. Something small enough to stick in a very small pocket, good enough to take good pics, and tough enough to be dropped a few dozen times. * Did I already say great report? Wink Thanks, Lynn.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
              -----------------------------

You'll ruin your knees!

Okay, comments and questions: * Great report, great race! * Where exactly is it? Arkansas isn't all that far from here, and I'm hungry to start joining you. That one sounds like a blast. I'm a little bummed about missing my first ultra this weekend (ahem), even though its probably a good thing for my poor legs. Reading your report, running vicariously through you, makes it a little better. * As much as I like the pictures ... it wouldn't kill you to take a couple of your face, you know. * What kind of camera do you use? Trent has a little one that works well, and I want something like it. Something small enough to stick in a very small pocket, good enough to take good pics, and tough enough to be dropped a few dozen times. * Did I already say great report? Wink Thanks, Lynn.
                Where? Just to the left of this arrow, bout a hunnerd miles north of Little Rock. One guy said it was less than 2 hours from Memphis. There are some good races in Ark, Feb in the area where this 3 day race was held, March for this 3 day race, April for a 50K/50 Mile just outside of Little Rock and a hunnerd in Oct just outside of Little Rock. My face? Camera? See above, just below my "face"... It's been dropped, sweated on, rained on, etc. Sometimes it stops working, but has always come around to my way of thinking after a while... Casio Exilim Thanks for the good words, Lynn

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

JakeKnight

Nice map. Thanks. That can't be 4 hours from here. Meet you there next March? Do you ever repeat these things, or is it always onto the next newest thing? And, uh, nice face.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                  -----------------------------

Sandi Sue

Great Race Report JLynn. I have a question though. How do you build up your stamina to do such long haul runs? I looked at your running log and other than the races, I don't see you running over the top mileage. What's your strategy? Just wondering.

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

Thanks for the report.  I am thinking about signing up for this one!