10k in May (vs. Wife) Advice needed (Read 774 times)

matthewrozon

I need some advice. I'm a novice runner (I ran one 10k last year). As I stand right now I can't run the full 10k without walking once or twice. I'm pretty slow in that my natural pace seems to be 12mpm. Since the race is 20 weeks away I was wondering if I should start by building up my endurance by running far and slow for now and then worry about speed in a couple months or if I should mix speed work and endurance work for the whole time.

comments?

This is also my first post so.. HI!

Hey Matthew, I would build up your volume gradually.  Every so often, maybe once a week, if you're feeling good, open it up and run fast for a bit.  

You have a nice chunk of time.  Let us know how you're doing in a few weeks.   

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Hey Matthew, I would build up your volume gradually.  Every so often, maybe once a week, if you're feeling good, open it up and run fast for a bit.  

+1 and Welcome!

IMO, racing your wife is a lose-lose proposition Joking.

Feeling the growl again

This, plus lose gracefully no matter how much faster than her you are.  Wink

You'll get a lot more benefit now from running more and running consistently, than worrying about fitting in "speed work".

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

matthewrozon

haha, she "should" win anyway but i'd like to put up a fight. Also the running on my profile isn't the only running i've done. I just transferred from a different site. 

So i'm thinking 6 weeks of 3runs a week + 1 day cross training with the main goal of keeping my HR in the aerobic zone for an extended period (45min-1hour)?

does that sound reasonable?

haha, she "should" win anyway but i'd like to put up a fight. Also the running on my profile isn't the only running i've done. I just transferred from a different site. 

So i'm thinking 6 weeks of 3runs a week + 1 day cross training with the main goal of keeping my HR in the aerobic zone for an extended period (45min-1hour)?

does that sound reasonable?

Sounds like a good start, but don't put artificial limits / rules on what you should be doing. If you feel like you could do more, do more.

And I wouldn't sweat it about HR and zones...if you can do it for 45-min / hour, you probably won't be doing it fast enough to have to impose yet another limit.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

There are a lot of good 9-week 10K training plans floating around online. So you've got plenty of time to build up some weekly mileage, get comfortable with longer distances, and then decide whether you want to step up the intensity a bit with a more structured program.

Also, if you can swing it, throwing in a fourth day of running (five days total with your CT) could work wonders for you.