Any one doing or having done the Chicago Distance Classic? (Read 520 times)

wbertha

Was wondering if anyone has done this race in the past or is planning on doing it this summer. Am being told that it is very flat but wondered how the wind is and the temperatures. This half marathon takes place in August Shocked. But because of that it would fit into my schedule. Thanks for the info, wbertha
    protoplasm72

I've done it the past 2 years and will probably do it again this year cause it fits in the schedule. It starts at like 6:30 am to beat the heat but it's still hot and humid. I think it was almost 70 at the start last year at close to 80 by the end and humid of course. I'd much rather run the Chicago HM in september but it is to close to the Chicago Marathon.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I've also run the CDC the last two years, and I echo protoplasm's comments. Its a race in August in Chicago, so you take your chances on the weather. My log show the temperature as being 70 degrees in both 2007 and 2006 -- certainly warmer than ideal. Wind isn't really a big deal since the CDC is essentially and out-and-back loop - you run just as far south as you do north. Over by the lake front, its 50-50% whether the wind blows north or south on any given day, so its just not an issue. On the plus side, its a very well staged race: good organization, nice course, nice race-day set-up. It starts and finishes at approximately the same places as the Chicago Marathon, so its an excellent opportunity to "visualize" for the full marathon if that is in your plans for later in the year. Its also designed to be the last race of the year to qualify for a preferred corral at the Chicago Marathon, so I think a lot of people go into the CDC with the goal of getting a needed seeding time as opposed to an outright PR. I've had good experiences the last two years, and enjoyed the race despite the warmer temps. I will almost certainly run again this year.

How To Run a Marathon: Step 1 - start running. There is no Step 2.

wbertha

Thank you very, very much for the information. Is this the type of race that I should be sending in my entry $$ for right away or does it not fill quickly due to the August date? wbertha
            In 2006 registration was still open as late as a week before the race. In 2007 I know that registration was still open in mid-July, but I don't recall how late after that it filled (if at all).

wbertha

Thanks, maybe I should play it safe and get my registration in soon. My DD and I are both planning to run it. However, we will each be going at our own pace (hers much faster than mine) and then meeting up afterwards. She of course has already registered. Any of you ever use their pace team??? wbertha
                Thanks, maybe I should play it safe and get my registration in soon. My DD and I are both planning to run it. However, we will each be going at our own pace (hers much faster than mine) and then meeting up afterwards. She of course has already registered. Any of you ever use their pace team??? wbertha
                I have run with a pace team in the CDC, but never signed up for it formally. I tagged along with one of the groups for about the first 5 miles, mainly to keep myself from going out too fast. After mile 5, I decided I felt ok so I left them behind. You are free to sign up at the expo for any of the pace groups, of course, but you can also just tag along too.

The Greatest of All Time

Just found another Chicago M tune-up race. Thank you!!!!
                  all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be

Obesity is a disease. Yes, a disease where nothing tastes bad...except salads.

50 halfs by age 50

I did it last year. For a FL girl, the temp wasn't a problem. Training down here through June and July was a bit...stickier. I enjoyed the relaxed atmosphere of the race. There was a distinct lack of porta potties on the course. I can run a half without stopping but a lot of folks were complaining.

*Mel* //  "A lot of people run a race to see who's the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts." - Steve Prefontaine