Cross Country Skiing (Read 832 times)

I have bought a pair of cross country skiis to keep me motivated during the winter months.  As a complete newbie to the sport I am looking for some pointers.  Trying to figure out how to take on a hill and any other good info someone could share.

Thanks!!!!

Genipher 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." –-Dean Karnazes 

"There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" Dave Landgraf

flatland mountaineer

You can herringbone up, think pigeons feet and roll your ankles in, steeper slopes you can sidestep up, also climbing wax and climbing skins. What kind of skis and bindings did you get?

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Feeling the growl again

Classic or skating?  Groomed trails or off-trail?

It's great for your running, at the lattitude I went to college we barely ran in the winter but skiied 2-3 hrs/day.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

aellopous

Good for you! I was hoping to do a lot of cross country skiing this year at the nearby state parks/metroparks, but we've had a really dry winter so far. I suppose there's still all of January and February left, but I'm a bit disappointed!

R2farm-I bought a pair of used skiis at a ski swap.  Went cheap to start out with just in case I didn't really get into it.  Doing classic, waxless skiis, with SNS Profile bindings. 

Planning on doing mostly groomed trails.  But since I live in Birkie country there is not a lot of easy trails.  But I am still looking. 

We got 6 inches of new snow that I was hoping to get out on but looks like it's raining now.

Genipher 

"Run when you can, walk when you have to, crawl if you must; just never give up." –-Dean Karnazes 

"There is no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing" Dave Landgraf

Good stuff... I love XC skiing, and have since childhood.  The waxless skis will be a good help to you starting out; the waxing can be a pain in the ass with different types of waxes for different temperature ranges.  Someday I'll modernize my gear... I still use old-school skis from the 70s, but they do just fine.  

In terms of tips, I say just have at it and see how you do.  Keep a slight forward lean and the movement as smooth as possible... you'll be surprised how little time it takes to feel natural (-ish...).  

Oh, and try not to cross those skis... you look like a jackass when you fall over in slow motion for no apparent reason.  

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Mariposai

I love Xcountry skiing as a cross training for my running. If you are a newbie I would suggest you sign up for a lesson to really learn the ropes. Xcountry skiing is a simple sport, but it is best to learn how to go downhill and how to navigate sharp corners and such.  Good luck

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Carl A

I learned to cross-country ski by walking around for a while in the skis. After a while you'll start gliding and going faster because that's what people do. One thing I remember learning (in addition to the vital Ghostbusters "don't cross the skis" wisdom): Instead of gripping the poles tightly, let the hand-ties around your wrists take the down-force.

Groomed trails would make the whole process easier. Uphills will probably be the most difficult thing--the V-pattern and rhythm that will get you up them can be tricky. Also, you'll probably fall often, and you'll likely use the hit-the-deck method of emergency braking, so you may want to prepare yourself for that by wearing cushy clothes.

Try watching some videos to get some visuals on what you'll be doing.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.