2012 Sub-3:00 Marathon Goal Thread (Read 6881 times)

DoppleBock

Abe - May the weather be cool and your stride efficient

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

I didn't call the right race, I guess, but I got 'er done yesterday at Sioux Falls:  2:51:38

As indicated originally, I still have Dallas in my sites, however.  I even registered and everything.

Nice run!  A big sub 2:50 in Dallas looks good then...

Hello sub-3'ers

Stopping by to ask a question. I just looked at the new NYC standards for guaranteed entry (starting 2013). Not sure for all the age groups, but for men's 40-44 the marks are 2:50:00/1:23:00

Any wonders about the equivalency?

Hello sub-3'ers

Stopping by to ask a question. I just looked at the new NYC standards for guaranteed entry (starting 2013). Not sure for all the age groups, but for men's 40-44 the marks are 2:50:00/1:23:00

Well, it seems to me like a 1:23 1/2 does not equal a 2:50 marathon.  The other consideration is that there are more people that can pull of fast 1/2 times than the equivalent marathon time.  I would probably go the other way and skew the harder time to the 1/2 distance not the marathon.  So I would go with 2:50/1:19...

Did my last real run today before Chicago. Did 4 wup easy then 14 at 6:48 pace with 2 c/d. Felt tough. i was ready to slow down. I had a rough work weekend with little sleep and I have been really tired these past couple days and think it took some out of my run. We will see. I feel close but am not sure I have the stamina yet.

joescott

2:50 is way harder than 1:23.  At least it sure is for me.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

jjameson

Did my last real run today before Chicago. Did 4 wup easy then 14 at 6:48 pace with 2 c/d. Felt tough. i was ready to slow down. I had a rough work weekend with little sleep and I have been really tired these past couple days and think it took some out of my run. We will see. I feel close but am not sure I have the stamina yet.

Nice run.  You are probably looking good for Chicago.  Hope for cool weather and a lot of rest.  Do you have call the week before the race?  Also noticed you do a lot of training on treadmill -- any idea how that translates to outdoor running?  Is it the same?  I don't do any treadmill and am curious ...

kcam

Hello sub-3'ers

I agree that, personally, a 1:23 would be much easier than a 2:50 marathon. 

I added a column to the NYC Men's qualifying table called Equiv Marathon (equiv marathon based on the 1/2 time).  The entry for each Age is the average of the race times predicted by Daniels, McMillan, Reigel, Tinman, and WAVA.  If you truncate the times down to the minute (2:45:31 becomes 2:45) then 5 of the 8 age groups are exact matches.  40-44 and 60-64 age groups will be a good bit easier to qualify with a 1/2 marathon.  

Age Marathon 1/2 Marathon Equiv Marathon
                  18-39     2:45     1:19 2:45:31
                  40-44     2:50     1:23 2:53:54
                  45-49     2:58     1:25 2:58:06
                  50-54     3:06     1:29 3:06:29
                  55-59     3:14     1:33 3:14:51
                  60-64     3:24     1:39 3:27:26
                  65-69     3:35     1:42 3:33:43
                  70+     3:46     1:48 3:46:17

Jjameson I have no further call until after the race. I am not sure how my performance on the treadmill will affect my overall time. I do run a lot on the mill mostly for covience.  I have decided to adjust my goal. I really want sub 3 but am not sure I am there. I will start out at 7 min pace and see what happens. I have had some really good training but I still do not feel that my body has adjusted to the higher mileage very well. I am amazed at some of the volume of some of the posters here. When I get a little tired I always come here for inspiration and see that I am still nod running all that much. Hope your training is going well. 

No dice.  Weather was perfect temp. with a little headwind coming back towards the finish line, but it wasn't my day.  Made it to 20 before falling off pace.

2:43:24.

There was a point in my life when I ran. Now, I just run.

We are always running for the thrill of it

Always pushing up the hill, searching for the thrill of it

No dice.  Weather was perfect temp. with a little headwind coming back towards the finish line, but it wasn't my day.  Made it to 20 before falling off pace.

2:43:24.

A pretty impressive effort though - great run.  You'll get it next time.

foooster

good effort  what age?

+1

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Thanks.  Two weeks off, then I start working on next time...again.

good effort  what age?

Thanks. 35.