what is the ideal mileage on a pair of shoes you wear to go for a marathon? (Read 842 times)

jingchunyu

Do you need to arrange for such mileage?

A Saucy Wench

I like ~ 100 but I would do probably 50-150 I have achilles issues so I need to break in shoes before going fast or long

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ed4

Barefoot and happy

I'm going to Baystate in a couple weeks with shoes over 900 miles. It all depends on how efficiently you can run.
        Curious about running barefoot? Visit the new barefoot running group.
        TJoseph

I'm going to Baystate in a couple weeks with shoes over 900 miles. It all depends on how efficiently you can run.
          I think it would depend more on your foot physiology than on your running efficiency, but maybe that is what you meant. I am a severe overpronator. If I tried to run a marathon in shoes with over 900 miles on them, it would trash my knees and probably end my running for a long while. I can tell if my shoes are worn out when my left knee starts to bother me. That is usually around 400 miles.
          BostonRnr

jingchunyu, thanks for posting this. I had the same question. I'm running my first marathon in 3 weeks and will have about 200 miles on my shoes by that date. I asked the same question at my trusted running store yesterday. They suggested that I stick with the shoes I have. I'd love to hear more experienced marathoners weigh in on this issue.
              I'm with Ennay on this one. I've heard 100 miles is considered nicely broke in. I'd plan to have a pair of shoes that are broken in for a marathon. I think typically, 100-200 miles would be ok.
              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Was it all a dream?

I'd say between 50 and 150 miles.
                  I like between 30-50.
                  DoppleBock

I would suggest 20-50% of the life of the shoe in mileage. For me that is 100-250 miles. I have a pair of racing flats I wear when I am not so fat that have 500+ miles on them, I think they still have a race or 2 in them but it may be a little risky.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Hey Ed, nice to hear you'll be up in the Mill City. RA will be well represented, I'm going to post a roll call about a week out.
                      I'm running my first marathon in 3 weeks and will have about 200 miles on my shoes by that date. I'd love to hear more experienced marathoners weigh in on this issue.
                      If it's 199 or less you should be OK Susan, but at 200 or better I wouldn't even head for the starting line. Wink (Oh, almost forgot...best of luck with the BAA half this weekend!)

E.J.
                      Greater Lowell Road Runners
                      Cry havoc and let slip the dawgs of war!

May the road rise to meet you, may the wind be always at your back, may the sun shine warm upon your SPF30, may the rains fall soft upon your sweat-wicking hat, and until you hit the finish line may The Flying Spaghetti Monster hold you in the hollow of His Noodly Appendage.