The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes, there has been a long-standing shortage in healthcare workers. But it is worse now because of the conditions we are working under are fairly brutal. Lots of healthcare workers are out at any given time either due to quarantine or being infected, and many have simply walked off the job because it’s so difficult right now.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I see that Andrew Cuomo is set to receive an Emmy award for his leadership during the covid pandemic and masterful use of television to inform and calm people around the world. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/andrew-cuomo-new-york-governor-emmy-award-covid-19-briefings-2020-11?r=US&IR=T

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I see that Andrew Cuomo is set to receive an Emmy award for his leadership during the covid pandemic and masterful use of television to inform and calm people around the world. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/andrew-cuomo-new-york-governor-emmy-award-covid-19-briefings-2020-11?r=US&IR=T

Why stop there? Why not give him a Nobel prize?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Maybe one of the docs can help clarify this:

Part of "Warp-speed" was to drop FDA regulations in order to accelerate finding a vaccine.  Assuming the regulations were in place for safety, when would the negative impacts be realized that would have been prevented by those regulations?  And what might those be?

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Half Crazy K 2.0

Maybe one of the docs can help clarify this:

Part of "Warp-speed" was to drop FDA regulations in order to accelerate finding a vaccine.  Assuming the regulations were in place for safety, when would the negative impacts be realized that would have been prevented by those regulations?  And what might those be?

So piggybacking on this (sort of). I read somewhere that the trials did not include people who previously had covid. Is this an issue? I assume that there are more cases from the spring when testing was limited to those with severe symptoms.

Nothing I've read or heard about warp speed indicates that dropping FDA regulations was part of it. Mostly what the government seems to be doing is *adding* oversight in the form of government reviewers in place of outside review boards, fast tracking review, and providing shitloads of funding so that companies with promising drug candidates can a.) conduct massive clinical trials much more quickly and b.) manufacture large quantities of drugs that may never get approved.

Runners run

rmcj001

Interesting article in Washington Post today, https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2020/11/20/new-zealand-flight-covid/?itid=hp-top-table-low, helps explain why you test AND quarantine to enter countries.  Of, course, if you didn't understand the concept to begin with, you probably won't understand this article either.  So, quick synopsis, people traveling to New Zealand must test negative with a PCR Covid-19 test AND quarantine for 14 days on entering.  A passenger coming from Switzerland test negative and was asymptomatic on flight, yet through genetic analysis infected 4 other passengers on flight to New Zealand.

On another note, I passed a preliminary screening to enter the Pfizer Vaccine test. Still waiting to be contacted by doctors doing the study. I guess I'm part of the demographic that is understudied...

Ray

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

FDA regulations remain in force. Warp Speed is more about resourcing.

The current vaccine trials exclude those with known prior COVID disease. That leaves a gap in our knowledge that we will have to address with further study.

Running Problem

Problem Child

FDA regulations remain in force. Warp Speed is more about resourcing.

The current vaccine trials exclude those with known prior COVID disease. That leaves a gap in our knowledge that we will have to address with further study.

So at some point their trials could be pointless because of the number of people who HAVE had Covid 19 exceeds those who haven’t?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Half Crazy K 2.0

So at some point their trials could be pointless because of the number of people who HAVE had Covid 19 exceeds those who haven’t?

The issue I saw was that they don't know if those who already were infected would have severe side effects from getting a vaccine.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Hard to know. We do not know if immunity from infection (or vaccination, for that matter) is long lasting. It may be that this will require boosters after some period of time, such as a year.

The issue I saw was that they don't know if those who already were infected would have severe side effects from getting a vaccine.

This.

Of, course, if you didn't understand the concept to begin with, you probably won't understand this article either.

Savage

Runners run

Running Problem

Problem Child

My Governor’s last ole to self quarantine for 2 weeks ends Tuesday. he is holding a speech today and I expect him to close everything back down to April levels, and say he can’t ACTUALLY make Thanksgiving illegal he wants you to not celebrate outside your house. I expect NO announcement of NOT having Christmas Tree lightings or canceled New Years parties downtown. I think he should cancel Christmas and New Years at this point as well as Valentine’s Day because nothing says we will have a vaccine by then. It’s also easier to allow it than it is to wait until people make plans and then cancel everything for them.

VDOT 53.37 

Runners run

My Governor’s last ole to self quarantine for 2 weeks ends Tuesday. he is holding a speech today and I expect him to close everything back down to April levels, and say he can’t ACTUALLY make Thanksgiving illegal he wants you to not celebrate outside your house. I expect NO announcement of NOT having Christmas Tree lightings or canceled New Years parties downtown. I think he should cancel Christmas and New Years at this point as well as Valentine’s Day because nothing says we will have a vaccine by then. It’s also easier to allow it than it is to wait until people make plans and then cancel everything for them.

Black Friday is going to result in more cases than MAGA emotional support rallies and BLM marches combined. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a "strong request" for business to keep their doors closed this weekend. I never participate in those consumption orgies, anyway, and find it disturbing that so many of the unwashed masses show up and act like starving people at the back of a relief truck throwing out loaves of bread. Just to get $50 off on a TV that they probably don't need. Or a free keychain flashlight or some other rubbish that will just go to the landfill in a month. And watch, people will bring along their entire brood of 5-6 kids, too. And their "service animals". And Grandma in a wheelchair.

But yeah, if stores ARE open, stay way.

Black Friday 2011 - Urban Outfitters crowd rush fight - YouTube

Look for another  CV19 surge starting about one week from today.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying