Strengthen ankles? (Read 179 times)

Seattle prattle

Just about all the ankle exercises I know of have been covered already except for jumping rope (esp.side to side and forward/backward) and writing the alphabet in the air with each foot.(flexing at the ankle and holding the leg still).

RunningMongoose

I had issues with my peroneal tendon as well , started doing more trail runs, built my ankles up and have not had any issues since.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

So...a) it wouldn't hurt to develop a yoga practice (in classes) with a regular focus on balance poses.

b) I have awful ankles - stretched out ligaments mean that my muscles have to be very strong to compensate.  So I do 4 minutes daily on a wobble-board.  I stand on it with both feet - the first minute I rack the board to tap the ground front and back, the second minute I tap side to side.  Third minute I tap around the world one way - tap front, one side, back, other side, repeat; fourth minute I go round the world the other way.

[BTW, you'll likely need to build up to this.]

I'm a huge believer in that exercise - it strengthens ALL the muscles in your ankles and also in your feet.

OMG this is Tara's issue. I'd love you to talk to her.

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

Rajneesh Jha

haminacan
          mikeymike

My RA spam is starting to merge with my work spam. This can't be good.

Runners run

sport jester

Biomimeticist

and said I overpronate.

That statement defines your problem. You don't have weak ankles (well technically you do). The issue for you is biomechanic and with overpronation comes instability due to the restricted natural movement of the ankle, which causes the muscle weakness. What you need to correct is your running form in relation to forward lean.

Correcting your running form, will reintegrate the functional use of the muscle, and strength will return naturally. All the exercises will be useless to you unless you mechanically improve in how you run.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

rlopez

The comet is actually named neowise.

Rajneesh Jha

Since 2016, Imaginesales has been creating innovative call centre software with lead management systems, auto calling programs, Imaginesales is guaranteed to have a product to suit your computer calling needs. Imaginesales has close to 4 years of experience in the CRM software industry and has researched and developed feature, efficient, cost-effective products. Imaginesales products meet all industry standards and go beyond them to offer you the latest in CRM and Auto Dialer technology. Imaginesales knowledgeable technical support staff is always available and ready to answer all of your questions.