"Lose It" App and Calorie Tracking (Read 522 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I don't run to lose weight, but my gf started using this app to track her daily calories.  She urged me to do the same (she's worried I don't get enough).  I just wanted to see if others are aware of this app...its really easy to use and it seems like a great way to lose weight (I've heard numerous success stories).  If you have a smart phone, most foods can be scanned in by their bar code.

**Ask me about streaking**

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I've used it in the past to great success.  In fact, I was going to start it up again this week, now that my marathon is over (I think I may have actually "overfueled" a little in the last half of the training cycle).

It is pretty handy.  Every once in awhile I'll scan a food that it wants to measure in some goofy unit of measurement (I don't know how many grams of turkey I'm putting on this sandwich and I don't have a kitchen scale!), but I can get a close enough approximation in those instances.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

dutz

I have used/tested a dozen calorie/food logging apps, and I have found LoseIt works most like the way I think. It seems to be designed "by" the type of people who use rather than "for" them.

Chasing the bus

Just agreeing with all of the above.

“You're either on the bus or off the bus.”
          Tom Wolfe, The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

My Fitness Pal app is also very good.  Very deep food database, has scanning barcodes from the app.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

bhearn

I've tried all the calorie-counting apps, and they all suck. None will carry over daily caloric surplus / deficit to the next day... really a mandatory feature for me. I used to do tracking with my own spreadsheet. I still do, but now also use calorie count.com (and sometimes the app, but that's more awkward) to record what I ate, so I can have a record of my diet instead of just weight and number of calories. Then, I transfer daily calories from that to my spreadsheet.
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I've tried all the calorie-counting apps, and they all suck. None will carry over daily caloric surplus / deficit to the next day... really a mandatory feature for me. I used to do tracking with my own spreadsheet. I still do, but now also use calorie count.com (and sometimes the app, but that's more awkward) to record what I ate, so I can have a record of my diet instead of just weight and number of calories. Then, I transfer daily calories from that to my spreadsheet.

My Fitness Pal does have a weekly view. which is effectively a carryover feature over a 7-day block.  Most often for me, it's a chance to discover that I've already eaten my full week's allotment by Thursday.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

As a follow up...how crazy does anybody go with what they track (by food groups? nutrients? sodium? protein? etc).  I generally go a little overboard with numbers (like tracking my running manually and on 2 websites).  I think I need to do a little more research into what I should be eating on a daily basis before I start adding that stuff in.  Does anyone do anything like this and if so how do you go about the tracking?

Best Present Ever

If you have a smart phone, most foods can be scanned in by their bar code.

Only if most of your food comes in a package with a bar code. 

Strict WTF adherent

Loseit also has a weekly view

I only use it to count calories, which helps to prevent me from being too much of a fatass. You know, like when you have a dozen buffalo wings, half a bottle of rum and two cookies for breakfast, you know you can't eat again for three days.

bhearn - like others have mentioned, they do have a weekly view. Both MyFitnessPal and Loseit will keep track of how in the red or green you are for the week. They may not move the surplus/deficit to the next day but definitely give you an idea of how you are doing over a 7 day period. 

Lose it and MFP are both the top 2 best calorie tracking apps available, and by far. I've used them all and actually track at both of these since I can't seem to choose which one is better, haha. 

Running my way to being a little less fat.

I've use it when I want to lose weight. It really helped me.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

You can also scan the ingredients you are using (like a bag of flour) and it banks all the foods you've eaten, so you only have to manually enter 1 large egg/Apple/Banana/Carrots 1 time.

You can also scan the ingredients you are using (like a bag of flour) and it banks all the foods you've eaten, so you only have to manually enter 1 large egg/Apple/Banana/Carrots 1 time.

For people who use a lot of recipes, this can get really cumbersome, especially when you make something complicated.  It's why I don't use it or any other tracking app--my spreadsheet is just easier..  I mental math the calories in my head as I go, looking up ingredients when I have to.

The only thing I record is calories.

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
                              Emil Zatopek

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's not too difficult to build a recipe, then figure #s for a single serving and make a custom entry.  I've done this many times. 

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay