Best Running Plans (Read 168 times)

BobScott

Just wondering what running plans/training guides are used around here. I am going to train for my third half marathon inside of a year coming up and have used a runner's world guide as well as a Hanson's Running plan. Are they're any guides/plans that are widely considered as really good or conversely bad? If it matters my goal is to break 90 minutes in the next half. Thanks!

CalBears

Just wondering what running plans/training guides are used around here. I am going to train for my third half marathon inside of a year coming up and have used a runner's world guide as well as a Hanson's Running plan. Are they're any guides/plans that are widely considered as really good or conversely bad? If it matters my goal is to break 90 minutes in the next half. Thanks!

I find it absolutely the best - "Faster Road Racing: 5K to Half marathon". I recommend you to buy that book - it's not only contains very detailed training plans for different weekly mileages and different distances with an explanations, but it also gives you a lot of additional information that will help you understand how you can become faster and why you become faster. Seriously - best $18 you would spend on running education.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Christirei

I think it kind of depends on what type of runner you are and what type of running you most enjoy doing. Do you like high mileage? find a high mileage plan? do you like to mix it up alot with different types of workouts? Do you like to run in phases? I personally have had good success with Lydiard plans. But popular plans are Hansons, Pfitz and numerous others. Did you enjoy something about the previous plans you used? What did you not like about them? Is there a method you would like to try ?

BobScott

I think it kind of depends on what type of runner you are and what type of running you most enjoy doing. Do you like high mileage? find a high mileage plan? do you like to mix it up alot with different types of workouts? Do you like to run in phases? I personally have had good success with Lydiard plans. But popular plans are Hansons, Pfitz and numerous others. Did you enjoy something about the previous plans you used? What did you not like about them? Is there a method you would like to try ?

So far my mileage has been running around 30-45 miles per week which is fine by me right now. I really like a routine to be set and for each week to kind of look the same with the exception of my two speed/tempo days a week. Basically I do one long run a week, 2 speed/tempo day and 3 easy days to build mileage. I think one thing I'd like to change to is running less miles on speed days but running for faster tempos/speeds. I'd rather push myself to run harder for 3 miles than less hard but get in 6 miles of tempo work. So I think I'd like to adjust those two days a week to a "less is more" approach when it comes to miles.

CalBears

So far my mileage has been running around 30-45 miles per week which is fine by me right now. I really like a routine to be set and for each week to kind of look the same with the exception of my two speed/tempo days a week. Basically I do one long run a week, 2 speed/tempo day and 3 easy days to build mileage. I think one thing I'd like to change to is running less miles on speed days but running for faster tempos/speeds. I'd rather push myself to run harder for 3 miles than less hard but get in 6 miles of tempo work. So I think I'd like to adjust those two days a week to a "less is more" approach when it comes to miles.

Ha-ha - I am surrounded by the results of this approach .

Then there is THE ONE AND THE ONLY magic book with magic plan for you young man - Run Less Run Faster - enjoy!

Half Crazy K 2.0

I'm using a 5k plan in the book Calbears recommended. I also like Brad Hudson's book Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon. I've bought most of the training books used onn Amazon, I think I usually pay more for the shipping than the actual book--so if you want to sample several books/plans, go used. Some local libraries have the books, not sure if they are accessable on-line though..

With both Hudson & Pfitz, for a half, typically you will do a long run & a "not quite as long run". Depending on the plan/mileage, it may look something like a long run of 14 and a medium long run of 10. Hudson often has you do HM pace work in the not-quite-long run.

CalBears

I'm using a 5k plan in the book Calbears recommended. I also like Brad Hudson's book Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon. I've bought most of the training books used onn Amazon, I think I usually pay more for the shipping than the actual book--so if you want to sample several books/plans, go used. Some local libraries have the books, not sure if they are accessable on-line though..

With both Hudson & Pfitz, for a half, typically you will do a long run & a "not quite as long run". Depending on the plan/mileage, it may look something like a long run of 14 and a medium long run of 10. Hudson often has you do HM pace work in the not-quite-long run.

Yes, Hudson is great in letting you understand how you can tweak your "plan" on any particular day depending on the way you feel. He also very good in explaining different element of the training - really good book, some consider it as the best in its field.

BobScott

Ha-ha - I am surrounded by the results of this approach .

Then there is THE ONE AND THE ONLY magic book with magic plan for you young man - Run Less Run Faster - enjoy!

Thanks for this suggestion. I have this book already....is it similar?

https://www.amazon.com/80-20-Running-Stronger-Training-ebook/dp/B00IIVFAEY

Resident Historian

Thanks for this suggestion. I have this book already....is it similar?

https://www.amazon.com/80-20-Running-Stronger-Training-ebook/dp/B00IIVFAEY

No, definitely not like "Run Less..." which is essentially 3 runs per week with a lot of cross-training.
                    But that Matt Fitzgerald 80-20 book is a very good approach

And Calbears suggestion was (I think) a joke. (note the facepalm emoji)

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

thediamonddog

interesting recommendations here, I may well take a look at some of these!

I've actually found that the running plans on RunKeeper Go (the premium subscription) are actually really good.

You tell it your goal, when you want to complete the goal, how often you can run and your recent PBs & voila, you have a tailored training plan!

I used this for my first marathon and it got me across the line at the exact time I aimed for!

Running Problem

Problem Child

Hanson's marathon or half marathon training plan. Honestly it's pretty much the same as any OTHER training plan. Speed work, hard runs, long runs, and lots of easy running. Finding one that you enjoy is important. I wouldn't think that running less is more. I'd think you're running 40 miles and if you changed one day to speed work, or added it in you'd be doing good. You could add some tempo runs one day a week for 45 minutes with a warm up and cool down and get that "run less frequrently but run more miles per day" thing going as well.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

nika

I used Hal Higdon's plans for most of my runs. Currently this one: https://www.halhigdon.com/training-programs/half-marathon-training/intermediate-2-half-marathon/

I bought and tried "Run Less Run Faster" book two or three years ago, but was annoyed at having to pay attention to running pace during each run; I missed the relaxing "base runs" where I would just spend 30min or 1 hour running at a feel-good pace and letting my mind wander. That's part of what I love about running, I'm not ambitious enough to make every single run a performance exercise.

If you are interested in differences between different training plans, the fellrnr website has a very good comparison.  http://fellrnr.com/wiki/A_Comparison_of_Marathon_Training_Plans . The rating on there might or might not agree with your philosophies, but you get a good overview what plans are out there and how they differ.

an amazing likeness

This comparison and analysis by bhearn and follow-on discussions might be of interest -- there's a lot of experienced RA runners in the discussion.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

SMART Approach

How about an approach where you have 2 hards work outs a week and every other day is comfy with perhaps some striders? This works very well for Half and Marathon training. You do quality work within a mid week semi long run and on your long run. The quality work varies each week and can also include multipace work within it. This helps you prepare for the demands of Half racing and works very well on your miles per week.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

davidg123

I've been trying to make plans, but they don't help me much. If I make plans, something usually goes wrong. Preparing for the last marathon took three months, and training was not regular. I realize that's not good.