Will running help my hiking? (Read 381 times)

sport jester

Biomimeticist

I did understand your question.

The answer is that it only requires two toes in balance, no different than this picture. Given its 23,000 years old, the print clearly shows our historical weight distribution was much more refined than a simple mid or forefoot landing as its currently preached.

http://michaelamendolia.photoshelter.com/gallery-image/Australian-Fossil-Footprints/G0000wGbVgKl8Gkg/I0000t2rS0LdxBmk

While I agree that surfaces vary in trail environments, the natural balance points on a concave surface would put the point of contact still between the two toes for landing balance.

Its a very different way to move, so I understand your puzzlement to it.

The T-Rex videos on my Youtube channel build from the masking tape to explain it better.

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

I did understand your question.

While I agree that surfaces vary in trail environments, the natural balance points on a concave surface would put the point of contact still between the two toes for landing balance.

Most real trails have more rocks, roots, and mud than concave dirt.   So how exactly do you land on your toes on a pointy rock, narrow root maze, or mud?

xhristopher

sport jester, you spoke of concave trails and tip toe running evolution in birds. Can you tell me what happens with goats running upon the convex ridgeline?

Feeling the growl again

Most real trails have more rocks, roots, and mud than concave dirt.   So how exactly do you land on your toes on a pointy rock, narrow root maze, or mud?

Let's stop talking about T-Rex and ostriches...you need to run like a Himalayan tahr to train for Superior 100M next year.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

xhristopher

Let's stop talking about T-Rex and ostriches...you need to run like a Himalayan tahr to train for Superior 100M next year.

Goats (mountain and domestic) are very evolved. On the internet I've learned goats can fly and they can sing.

Goat racing used to be about developing the goats...until COMPETITOR RG took it over. BASTARDS!!!!! It's just a hodgepodge of midpackers now. There's no hay for the elites, no petting. Zilch. Just pay for your own oats, and clean up your own shit on the way out. FU very much.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
              We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Feeling the growl again

Goat racing used to be about developing the goats...until COMPETITOR RG took it over. BASTARDS!!!!! It's just a hodgepodge of midpackers now. There's no hay for the elites, no petting. Zilch. Just pay for your own oats, and clean up your own shit on the way out. FU very much.

Deserving or not...

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

xhristopher

Ostrich runner

Toe striking works great if you have two six inch long toes. If you have those, toe strike. Also, grow knees in your abdomen.

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

Feeling the growl again

Toe striking works great if you have two six inch long toes. If you have those, toe strike. Also, grow knees in your abdomen.

I would settle for growing an extra liver in my abdomen.  So far, no dice.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Goats (mountain and domestic) are very evolved. On the internet I've learned goats can fly and they can sing.

I don't know; I think I learned that that goat couldn't fly.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xhristopher

I don't know; I think I learned that that goat couldn't fly.

Uh, I didn't see it that way. I sure do think they are shit for landing tho. It's a fatal fault actually. They will probably get eaten for that.

I just got back from a 20 mile run on single track in the dark.  I would have done much better with sonar.  I think what SJ needs to add to his training arsenal is learning to see in the dark like a bat.  Just think how goddamn competitive we could be as a goat-bat-ostrich!

sport jester

Biomimeticist

If you truly want to discuss goats, that's not hard for me. To make it easy, I suggest you go find a pair of the Nike Air Terra Goatek  shoes if you want goat inspiration to your next run.

http://www.sneakerarchive.com/nike-air-terra-goatek/product4598

For me, I wear the Vibram five fingers regularly on trails for hiking or speed hiking workouts, and I'm able to land and balance myself on rocks, logs, roots, or any other protruding surfaces quite easily.  I even climb indoor rock walls wearing only my VFF's and can balance using my toes to grip.

It takes a lot more control than most, and that's what you're most likely lacking. If navy SEALs can figure it out, and entire football teams can figure it out, then its not what I write, but your willingness to integrate it.

If you're serious about improving your running skill, then start with the masking tape exercise and work from there

Experts said the world is flat

Experts said that man would never fly

Experts said we'd never go to the moon

Name me one of those "experts"...

History never remembers the name of experts; just the innovators who had the guts to challenge and prove the "experts" wrong

xhristopher

To make it easy, I suggest you go find a pair of the Nike Air Terra Goatek  shoes if you want goat inspiration to your next run.

Do you recommend these Goatek shoes for hiking?