IPOD vs. whatever (Read 903 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

What rgilbert said.  I bought a sansa 8GB at Costco over a year ago for $40.  It works great, and yes, survived a bunch of rain this year in Sacramento.

+3.  I love my Clip.  Robust, great physical and audio quality.  No iTunes or Media Player needed; just drag your music to it like you would a flash drive.

No more marathons

Thanks for the suggestions.  My Ipod 5th gen video is overkill for what I use.  I'm mostly a book on tape listener, and music when I want some inspiration to run fast.  Right now I've lost the right channel (unless I have the ear jack just barely inserted) - which is fine for the books, but sucks for music.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

Clint2

Hello everybody, I am a RW cast away.  I am in need of a new player as well.  I was wondering if anybody has xm radio player?  I think I would like it but have not heard anything about it.

joescott

ipods = too expensive, too hard to manage everything through the Apple ecosystem (pain in the neck).  also, I usually end up destroying an MP3 per 2-3 years due to sweat/rain/etc, and therefore did I mention ipods are too expensive.

Love my little sansa clip.  Does everything I need.  Cheap.  Very easy to manage all the media.  And I can replace it 3 or 4 times (more?) before it would reach the cost of a device with that little apple with the bite out of it.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

Julia1971

Julia--I have the new iPod Nano and I ordered a very lightweight clip case on Amazon for $7.99.  Problem solved!  I had the last generation iPod too, but it was so tiny overall that I just found it to be unwieldy.

That's good to know.  I was so sad to see the new one didn't have a clip.  I find the current Nano is just right.  I also have two shuffles.  My only complaint is not being able to jump to a song easily.  Otherwise, they're great little players.

an amazing likeness

Lots of us have sung the praises of the Sansa Clip previously here on RA.

My poor little clip is old and tired, the clip spring is rusted from sweat, rain and snow, the case seam is opening up from being dropped a gazillon times.but...it still works well. Easy to sync (I use iTunes to download podcasts and WMP to load to the Sansa).

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Coastal

Check out the Sansa Fuze.  Next step up from the Clip.  However, mine is starting to have issues with the headphone jack socket but that is probably related to abuse.  Might go for the clip next time as it is a bit cheaper.

fellrnr

I also prefer the Clip over the Shuffle, though the latter is not bad. My rationale and reviews - http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Best_Running_MP3_Player

Julia1971

Interesting.  The touch screen on the new Nano doesn't bother me (and I'm not a fan of touch screens which is why I'm clinging to my Blackberry like grim death).  I only need it to change playlists and I rarely do that on a run.  But, I also have the earphones that have buttons that allow you to skip or replay songs.  Also, there are volume control buttons on that Nano.  So, even when I'm not wearing those headphones, I can change volume without the touch screen.

I also prefer the Clip over the Shuffle, though the latter is not bad. My rationale and reviews - http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Best_Running_MP3_Player

Julia1971

Yeah, I could see a Nano being overkill.  Especially for the price.  It looks like the Sansa Clip everyone seems to like is pretty inexpensive.

Thanks for the suggestions.  My Ipod 5th gen video is overkill for what I use.  I'm mostly a book on tape listener, and music when I want some inspiration to run fast.  Right now I've lost the right channel (unless I have the ear jack just barely inserted) - which is fine for the books, but sucks for music.

I'm glad to hear that a couple like the Shuffle- I just bought a used one on ebay for $10.50.  My thought being that if I don't like it, or kill it in the rain, it won't hurt me too much to replace it.  I really just want to listen to a book or podcasts now and then.

"...You have to have faith, to know that you can do what you want to do."  -Joseph Nzau

Another vote for Sansa Clip.  I usually ruin players periodically (dropped in rivers, caught in storms, lost in drop bags at races, etc), so cheap is great.  Love'em... especially when I can find them on Newegg refurbished for $15-20/ea.

Better I Leave

Another vote for Sansa. I've had a Fuze for years and just got a Nano for Xmas. If it wasn't for the Bluetooth I'd have kicked the Nano to the curb. ITunes is the worst POS I've ever worked with. The Sansa is easy to use and durable.

an amazing likeness

Another vote for Sansa (Clip). I don't think they make the model I have any more...but for years, this poor little player has taken on the elements, being dropped, kicked, sweated on, soaked in the rain, snow, sleet....John Cameron Swayze would feel at home talking about it.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

lagwagon

agree, sansa clip ftw!