New "comfy" pace!! (Read 1153 times)

Big grin I'm really very excited about this. I have finally moved my comfortable pace into the 8-9 minute per mile zone ! I was in the 9-10 minute zone for the longest time and I didn't see an end in sight but then something changed recently and I find that my runs are mostly closer to 8:00 minutes per mile. It's such a good feeling to see improvement. So whether I'm running my short 3.1 mile course or venturing into my longer courses, I maintain an even speed, even on the hills, and it feels great!! Yesterday I ran 7.5 miles on a course with 5 fairly steep long hills, and I kept my pace on all of them. That's all. I just wanted to share that with RA since I have made this change since belonging to RA...It's that incentive thing! Smile

Michelle

Scout7

Has it been about 6 weeks since your last significant improvement? I'm asking because I've read that it takes about 6 weeks to have significant increases, so I was curious as to how this jived.
        Good question - looking back at my calendar it's only been about 5 weeks, checked it again, actually only about 4 weeks. Ask me again in two weeks! Big grin I don't plan on backing down now.

Michelle

muse_runner

keep running.

Awesome Mississippi! I have slowed my comfy runs down. And I am waiting for something magic to happen like suddenly I'll get faster? I dunno. I run the same pace as last year but with much less effort. So I am not sure what that means. At this point I'd take anything less-- mere seconds per mile. Congrats on the improvement. This is a huge deal, well, at least it is for me!
          running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.
            I am waiting for something magic to happen like suddenly I'll get faster?
            I keep waiting for magic for my 5k goal time (21 minutes) and so far magic isn't quite doing it's job!! Seriously though, I'm happy with this new time. It's not so much the time as it is the effort, like you were saying. I am running this pace with easy effort, that is what has me so happy about it. If I were huffing and puffing through my runs I wouldn't feel so happy about reaching this new pace...Of course then I wouldn't be able to call it a comfy pace. I made up the "comfy" pace (Probably not a real runner's term!) Tongue for my workout summary page. The huffing and puffing pace is what I put under Tempo--- may not be the correct way to use Tempo, but I understand what I mean. Roll eyes But of course, now I have to wonder if in another week that means that it should be time to "kick it up a notch" and make it so I'm huffing and puffing through my comfy runs, or rather, do more temp runs. I still need to work on my workout schedules and figure out when to do intervals, hills, tempo, and easy runs. Running on the treadmill I was doing more speed workouts than I have been while back to running outside. I think the speed workouts help me in a big way so I need to make time for them.

Michelle

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I run the same pace as last year but with much less effort. So I am not sure what that means. At this point I'd take anything less-- mere seconds per mile. Congrats on the improvement. This is a huge deal, well, at least it is for me!
              That's kind of what I am finding since 6 months ago. My pace hasn't picked-up, but I feel a little like my "speed" (heh, still slow as hell) is taking less effort. So I'm hoping that this means race pace will be faster. I'm definitely faster than when I started a year ago (I think I was probably in the 13 minute/mile range)...but 11 minutes for a typical run is still FAR slower than I'd like. I'd really like to be in the single digits. I hope regular speedwork will be the key to that. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I think I'm not as excited now, Scout7 brought it to my attention that it hasn't been that long. Maybe it's just a fluke! I'll have to work hard to make sure it's the real thing. *sigh* It's still a good sign that I'm getting a little better at least. Undecided

Michelle

Zoom-Zoom---- Isn't that a great feeling to know that you are much faster than last year!?! I looked at some of my 5k times from 2003 and 2004 and I've taken off a good amount from the final time. Seeing that made me feel great.

Michelle

wtg! that's gotta feel great! I, OTOH, was looking at my training runs from last year vs. training runs this year and Sad For instance, I ran 18 miles 2 weeks ago. exactly 4 seconds faster than last years 18mile training run. Dead Although, now I can cruise the 2.4 miles of hills that used to have me taking walking breaks. So I guess I got that goin for me... I think I've just found this comfortable place that will take a lot more *work* to push through. Not sure I want to do that, LOL.

Jennifer mm#1231

Scout7

I think I'm not as excited now, Scout7 brought it to my attention that it hasn't been that long. Maybe it's just a fluke! I'll have to work hard to make sure it's the real thing. *sigh* It's still a good sign that I'm getting a little better at least. Undecided
                      If it helps, you should see some level of change after around 3 weeks of steady running. So there should be a change at around 3 weeks, and then a more significant change at around 6 weeks. Of course, those numbers are precise, so there could be some variance, and it's based on consistent running at about 6-7 times a week, so I would expect those to be longer for someone doing less mileage or less running sessions. So 4 would be about right.

Prophet!

nice job on the new 'comfy' pace miss-iamgoingtoshortenyournametojustmisscauseittakestoolongtotype...do you go just by perceived effort or do you use HRM too ? i am waiting for that same magic to happen to me after my mileage bump to 40 - 46 mpw the past 5 weeks, just in time for this week's 10K race. My 'comfy' pace actually went up (slower) a bit when i bumped the mileage and now have slowly gotten back down again to pre-bump level. I am definitely getting comfortable at current mileage range so we'll see if it translates to race pace. Keep on keepin on..
                        muse_runner

keep running.

This is totally random and weird but my heart rate monitor helps me learn how to feel running. I learn what should be comfy from it. I love my HRM... I should serenade it.... told ya I'm a gear dork. I need that Garmin 205 and I'd clean up my look so much more!
                          running until I hit 1900 miles for the year. whether fast or slow I will just run.

Prophet!

I need that Garmin 205 and I'd clean up my look so much more!
                            yeah you do. Its all about the style. How do you get your HRmax ? the simple 220- age thing seems to work fine for me based on comparing it to perceived effort and breathing..
                              I too am so glad I purchased a HRM. It's the only true way to "listen to your body". Considered around Christmas getting A Garmin because of all the talk, but found this site with mapping [I never knew existed] and got the "MUCH" smaller Polar RS200 instead. The only thing I'm lacking that the Garmins have is "pace", but I've been contemplating getting the "shoe pod"for my Polar, ....but the cost of $130, when the mapping lets me know where all the 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile and 1 mile splits are. Hey, I can quickly do the math! Always knowing if I'm doing 6, 7, 8 min. miles and times between. And knowing how stronger and efficient my heart is working is "PRICELESS". Wink

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

WHERE WAS I....oh I was going to reply and say that I don't own a heart monitor. I usually judge how tired I am by how much more I'm huffing and puffing. If I have to slow down going up a hill then I know I'm going faster and getting tired. When my husband and I run together I think he purposely speeds up the hills because he knows I can't talk then. Big grin Maybe I'll ask for one of those gadgets for my b-day.

Michelle