Too nuts (Read 876 times)

http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/news/story?id=2772368 These 3 ran from the Atlantic to the Red Sea

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

JakeKnight

Thanks for posting that Gregg. I knew they'd started on their journey, wasn't sure if they'd finished. Awesome.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
      -----------------------------

The guy in the next cube is a runner too and sent this to me this morning. What the hell were they thinking? This make the Bad Water Basin to Whitney Portal run look like a walk down the drive way on a cool Sunday morning

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

JakeKnight

What the hell were they thinking? This make the Bad Water Basin to Whitney Portal run look like a walk down the drive way on a cool Sunday morning
          I'm guessing there wasn't a whole lot of "thinking" involved. I'm with you, man. I could envision going on one of these long distance treks at some point in the future ... but through the middle of the Sahara Desert? No, thanks. Same thing for Badwater, for that matter. Long distance, hills, mountains, rivers .... fine. Doing it in an oven? Um, no. There's a fine line between challenging and masochistic, and that's just jumping right over it. Inspiring, though. Good for them. Bet they got great tans.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

There will be a movie.
            JakeKnight

There will be a movie.
              Will it have monkeys? Jessica Alba?

I'm guessing there wasn't a whole lot of "thinking" involved. I'm with you, man. I could envision going on one of these long distance treks at some point in the future ... but through the middle of the Sahara Desert? No, thanks. Same thing for Badwater, for that matter. Long distance, hills, mountains, rivers .... fine. Doing it in an oven? Um, no. There's a fine line between challenging and masochistic, and that's just jumping right over it. Inspiring, though. Good for them. Bet they got great tans.
                I have been to Whitney Portals. IN A CAR!!! And the climb from the 395 is pure hell!!! I actually hiked from the Portals to Trail Crest at 12,500 feet then got very very sick and didn't make the summit. I do remember a Jar Head RUNNING to the summit and about 90 minutes later running back to the Portals. THAT is nuts!!! Too much alt change in too short a time under stress!!

You'll ruin your knees!

For Badwater this year, I have a friend who will be chief crew and pacer for a guy planning on running Badwater, running the summit and back to the finish of Badwater (portals) and then reversing the Badwater course for a Badwater Double with a summit inbetween! They are looking for additional crew/pacer types...but my summer plans don't allow me to consider it! Dang! Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You'll ruin your knees!

His name is Mark Cockbain from the UK. He has two Badwater finishes, along with a number of additional endurance accomplishments. Here is a link to my friend's post on the RW forums...http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/698106477/m/5421033542 If I hadn't already signed up for a big one this summer, I would seriously think about jumping at this chance... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

You know they call Death Valley for a reason.

JakeKnight

His name is Mark Cockbain from the UK. He has two Badwater finishes, along with a number of additional endurance accomplishments. Here is a link to my friend's post on the RW forums...http://forums.runnersworld.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/698106477/m/5421033542 If I hadn't already signed up for a big one this summer, I would seriously think about jumping at this chance... Lynn B
                        I followed your link and read the thread. That. Is. Insane. Once he got to the part about axes and crampons, I just started giggling. That insane asylum sort of giggle. Because that's insane.

I don't understand the axe etc. Whiteny is NOT a tech climb. There is a trail from teh portals to the summit and back. 90 year olds hike each year

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I don't understand the axe etc. Whiteny is NOT a tech climb. There is a trail from teh portals to the summit and back. 90 year olds hike each year
                            Try to climb Whitney immediately after running to its base from Death Valley, 135 miles away, several thousand feet lower, and at a time of year when it is 135 degrees out.
                              Try to climb Whitney immediately after running to its base from Death Valley, 135 miles away, several thousand feet lower, and at a time of year when it is 135 degrees out.
                              No thanks!!! I was born and raised on the western edge of that waste land, I fully understand the heat. Don't miss it even now in the dead of a very cold winter. Your friend should take it easy. That is a lot of alt in a very short time under a horrensous amount of stress. And although 14600+ ft doesn't sound like much it IS. So watch him carefully please!