Hamstring injury (Read 921 times)

Shells

I am a new runner (about 3 months) and I injured my hamstring about a month ago Its healing is very slowly. I have continued to run 3 times a week (light runs) for about 20 minutes each time and do about 40 minutes of strength training at the same time. I am getting anxious to increase this. Has anyone had such a slow healing injury or is this normal? I do find that it seems to feel better if I do my strength training before my run instead of after (outside) but its not what my group does so I have to follow them. Any thoughts?
      I injured my hamstring back in April and am just now getting back to where I can run pain-free. From what I understand, hamstrings are notoriously slow to heal. My sports doc had me stop biking for awhile and walking instead of running because aggravating the injury was keeping it from healing. Hang in there! It might take awhile but it'll get better. Teresa

Sandi Sue

You may want to back off of the strength training or running if it causes you any pain whatsoever. I've also been battling it for the last month and I've been told that resting it is the only way to heal it. I'm swimming, biking (within reason) and walking. No strength (especially no lunges), no running until it's pain free. Have you been to a Physical Therapist yet?

Races for 2013:

Kluane Bike Relay (4 legs 70 miles)

Calgary 70.3 (72.3)

Aukeman Sprint Triathlon 8/6/2013

Pain is Temporary  Pride is Forever

Shells

Thanks so much for your responses. Sounds like the "slow to heal" is pretty normal. I haven't been to see a physical therapist yet. $$$ plays a factor in that. I am also reluctant to back down any more as I just lost 30 pounds and have 30 more to go. I worry that I could start to gain if I stop all together. Have either of you had any success in applying cold or heat? Perhaps I'll go onto swimming laps for the next week or so and see what that will do. Shells
            I have a crappy case of hamstring tendinitis which is slowly healing as well. PT claims that after a few weeks of stretching and taking it majorly easy, I will be good to go. I would suggest resting until you can run without pain. After about three weeks, I am now up to a ssssslllllooooowww run, which is just because I am afraid of messing it up any further. It sucks though and I feel your pain!
              I second the advice about taking some time off. If I'd just taken it easy for a week or so when I first got hurt, I'd be typing in my race report on my first marathon by now. Sad I just kept trying to push through it because I was afraid to lose the conditioning I had. After all it didn't hurt *that* bad. ::sigh:: If it hurts at all, don't do it. If you are feeling pain then that means you are aggravating the injury. By continuing to run on it, I went from a slightly painful slight hamstring pull to an excruciatingly painful, fall-down-on-the-track clutching my hamstring and sitting on the sidelines for months kind of injury. (Oh yeah, did I mention that I've gained about 10 pounds back as well? Grrr!) Better to err on the side of caution, imo. Teresa
              jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Also, very important to not stretch an injured hamstring. In my opinion and experience, this makes things worse, especially if it's cold stretching. It's okay to stretch tight muscles, but not injured ones. Another thread (which links to some others) on hammy issues.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Shells

jeff some great reads there. Thanks. I have taken it easy for a couple of days but come off meds for it. It really reacts bad when I go up stairs or put a lot of weight on it and is still very sore. I can see how a bit of light stretching would help but nothing big and definately agree on the cold stretching. I had made that observation and noted it to our trainer. I'll give it some more time despite missing running. Shells
                  Gig

An update on my hammy: I still feel where it was injured, but it doesn't actually hurt. (RICE really helped. (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) I still ice it a few times a week, along with my knees and one ankle. Pretty soon I'm going to need a pair of pants made out of ice packs! So Shells, ice and rest, along with elevaton and compression. Light running a few times a week when it starts feeling better.
                    jcasetnl

You may want to back off of the strength training or running if it causes you any pain whatsoever. I've also been battling it for the last month and I've been told that resting it is the only way to heal it. I'm swimming, biking (within reason) and walking. No strength (especially no lunges), no running until it's pain free. Have you been to a Physical Therapist yet?
                      You took the words right out of my mouth. I'd run maybe once per week on an injury like that and do cross trainng to take up the slack. Swimming is a really great all-body workout. Particularly if you don't mix a little weight training into your running routine, swimming is great for your posture and running form.