TMJ (Read 993 times)

Bugs

Those of you that have it, do you think running makes it worse? Have you found any treatment for it? What kind of docs did you see? My family doctor said see my dentist. My dentist said that he has it too and there is nothing he can do. I have a retainer for braces, it helps. I have a chiropractor that does graston treatment and it helps. I want to prevent it. Accupuncture did nothing for it. My cheek bone looked like there was a gum ball in my mouth tonight. I was at expo. and had chiropractor massage it. He said that he has never seen a mass so big. My jaw is sore still, but range of movement in jaw seems better, but should make it through the race tomorrow but I may live on a diet of GU for the next three months. If you don't have TMJ, feel blessed, it is evil.

Bugs

Another Passion

Good luck tomorrow. Sorry about the TMJ. Sad My wife deals with it as well, but not as badly as your's. Have a great race!

Rick
      "The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." - Juma Ikangaa
      "I wanna go fast." Ricky Bobby
      runningforcassy.blogspot.com

Bugs

I found the cure for TMJ. Run a marathon. Really loosened it up. Who would of thunk?

Bugs

Another Passion

Well... how'd it go?!? Besides loosening up the jaw?

Rick

Bugs

I posted in the race forum. It was really an unfun race. I don't think I run the best in freezing rain, but honestly not sure why thinks fell apart at the end.

Bugs

Another Passion

I know your freezing rain pain. Wink

Rick

Bugs

I know your freezing rain pain. Wink
                Maybe I'm just a wus. I really thought I'd stay warm, I wasn't.

Bugs

pitrunner

I've been diagnosed with severe grinding and clenching at night which may or may not be related to TMJ. One thing that really helped me was getting off of caffeine. I have no idea why, but ever since I stopped drinking it my jaw pain is much less in the morning. In fact, Saturday morning I had a super yummy pumpkin spiced coffee - full caff - and when I woke up Sunday morning it felt as if I had been punched in the face. The whole right side of my face hurt for the whole day. Still does actually.
                    My TMJ acts up with stress and nerves. I think for me it helps to acknowledge the stress or nerves before I fall asleep and it seems to help with it while I sleep. Confused Crazy but it seems to help. I have worn a "bite plate" made out of epoxy plastic (super hard) since I was 15. I actually wore a whole in the back molar section of it. My Dentist was amazed! Ubber painful and NOT covered by my medical insurance or by my dental insurance! Good luck!
                    pitrunner

My TMJ acts up with stress and nerves. I think for me it helps to acknowledge the stress or nerves before I fall asleep and it seems to help with it while I sleep. Confused Crazy but it seems to help. I have worn a "bite plate" made out of epoxy plastic (super hard) since I was 15. I actually wore a whole in the back molar section of it. My Dentist was amazed! Ubber painful and NOT covered by my medical insurance or by my dental insurance! Good luck!
                      I just got one of those last year. I gnawed some nice grooves in it already, but thankfully not all the way through...yet. My clenching is definitely anxiety related. I'm guessing that caffeine makes me even more anxious than usual, which is why I notice a difference when I'm off of it.

Bugs

I don't drink caffenine so that's not a factor but stress does. I my TMJ started up bad when my taper started. I kept feeling a little whoozie like an illness was setting in, I think it was internal inflammation pain. My throat was sore last week, now I'm certain it's from the TMJ. I saw a chiropractor today and he massaged it only a little and I was ill the rest of the day. However at least for once my aches and pains are not blamed on running.

Bugs

Bugs, Former Dental Assistant here that has dealt with TMJ forquite some time. Use Ibuprofen when it flairs up. Mosit heat( soak a washcloth in hot water, hot as you can stand, and then wring out and fold lenght wise, put under your chin and up both sides of your jaw to temples) keep there until it cools. Change often for 10- 15 mins. I suggest a mouth guard as well for night. They have some you can soften in hot water for hockey players. These help if you are a clencher or ginder while you sleep. Mediatation also might help to relax. Those are my suggestions. They all help but nothing really fixes the problem. I have even undergone orthodontics. Expensive and did help a bit but not cured. Hope this helps. Corrinabear

12-week layoff

Also, if you chew gum...don't. I had problems as a teen, and actually wore a splint daily for years. It wasn't working, so the doc was talking surgery. I never went back, as I'm not fond of being cut open, but I did quit gum, and it worked. Even now, if I chew gum for more than about 15 minutes, I'm in pain for days.

Bugs

I think it was bronchitis that started it. I don't chew gum, or drink caffenine normally. I eaten something hard that set it off, one ops and it went into a spasm. My TMJ is finally managable. Not running did not help one bit. My chiropractor did graston on it, and you hear the grit being scraped. My ears still ring and hurt though. Sad

Bugs