Sub 1:30 Half Marathon in 2018 (Read 704 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

CFarr - Yeah, my race is on the 17th. Nice week.

JMac - Simply phenomenal. I'll have to give that RR a read when I have a bit of time.

First week of the taper is done for me. Bleh. Low volume, easier workouts (shorter duration, not lesser intensity), and cool temps are leaving my HR really low for the paces I'm running. If I were to go "by the numbers" it would look like my fitness is taking a nosedive. Life got in the way a bit and I missed ~10 miles compared to what I planned, but I'm not concerned about it. I'll likely have a pretty tough workout hitting all the paces on Thursday as a final big stimulus, but other than that it's just by the book.

Weekly Summary
    Monday, Oct 29, 2018 thru Sunday, Nov 04, 2018

<tfoot> </tfoot>
    Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
    Mon 13.3 7:23 Daniels 3E, 2T, 3T 142 (72%) strava
    Tue 10.1 8:07 TJM Ep. #88 happenings - Was Sam's first thought "Aaron just needs to stop talking"? 136 (69%) strava
    Wed 10.2 8:09 How many little packages of Dots, SweetTarts, or Smarties does this buy me? 138 (70%) strava
    Thu 8.1 7:17 Daniels 3T 147 (75%) strava
    Fri 5.1 7:14 One Repetition and one Interval. Decidedly not Daniels. 145 (74%) strava
    Sat 13.3 7:45 10E, 2T, 1E 146 (74%) strava
      60.1 7:41      

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

watsonc123

JMac - awesome marathon.

Mark, Steve, Piwi - good weeks.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - great RR over on the other thread.  Man that is some battle dealing with stomach cramps for that much of the race, that must've been mentally really tough dealing with that on top of the usual marathon stuff.  Crazy also that tail end of the race where you thought you were slowing right down but actually were holding up really well.

And I think your result is also a good reminder that it's no big deal if you end up with a long injury-enforced break like you had after NYC last year, if you put the work in you can get into even better shape fairly quickly.  Awesome effort and congrats on a massive PR.

It's interesting to hear your comments that you're not really a pack runner and will just pick your pace and go for it, because I'm very much the same.  I've only run a handful of races where I ended up with others for most of the race, and that was largely just because the pace was working for me or it was giving me a little extra push.  Normally I'll just lock in a pace and go for it and not really worry too much about others (unless there's a podium spot in it haha).  My wife always tells me to 'run your race' and not worry about anyone else, she doesn't really know much about running but she's got that right.

Keen - nice week.  I love how your taper week is still bigger than my biggest week all year!!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - Great RR, and a very gutsy race (sorry...).  While a positive split sucks, it's something to put in the bank to remind yourself what you're capable of enduring.  And in your case, you still got your goal and more.  That guy in the last mile would have been on the end of a torrent of abuse if I had any energy left, but I guess getting to the finish was the key at that point, and once you're there, no point letting some muppet ruin the moment.

Me - Calf is still a bit sore, possibly from over rolling.  Didn't run last night as I ended up at the 24 hour surgery with my Mum most of the night (just a scare), but did try a 100 metre jog and it feels okay.  5km is tomorrow and I haven't written it off yet, however the sub 90 HM 2018 has always been my goal so if in doubt I won't compromise it just to beat all my workmates...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

I had stomach issues too and only raced a half. Tell me once you find the cure Jmac. And get yourself those vaporfly's 4%. You would have broken 2:45 Smile

Nice read, your RR. Really enjoyed it.

HM: 1:47 (9/20) I FM: 3:53:11 (9/23)

2024 Goals: run a FM & HM + stay healthy!

Jmac my initial reaction to your marathon was that all was smooth and no dramas but of course most marathons are not as your race report shows.

I still think positive splitting is fine as long as its not too biased and course dependent on hills. My first marathon was 1.27/1.32 but all the hills were in the first half so I was dying in the end. I watched NYC marathon on youtube this morning and there looks to be plenty of hills.

Keitany wasnt wearing Vaporfly she is with Adidas  so good to see they are not vital to success.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - fair enough, plenty of opportunity to do 5k's with regular parkrun events and so on.  Go for a light jog and see how it feels before the race.  I am looking forward to the Corporate Challenge up here in a couple of weeks.  We have a friendly rivalry with another part of the firm that is also entering a team.  Their organiser has been talking up the chances of someone from their team beating me based on the fact he did Round the Bays last year in 32 minutes.  I suspect she hasn't clicked to the fact that RTB is only 8.4km.

MJ - I think I must have somehow got lucky to largely avoid stomach issues during races.  I had one race where I'd eaten something that didn't agree with me, and the only other issue I've had is where I took a gel and then grabbed an empty water cup!

Piwi - I ran a positive split at Auckland Marathon too, to be honest I can't blame the hills for my poor execution as I really did go out too fast!  If there is a marathon course that is made for negative splitting, it's that one.  Take it easy on the hills in the first half and blast the second half.  Incredibly none of the top 10 in this year's race ran a negative split.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark thats so funny and reminds me of a Waihi beach funrun 10k i did a few years ago. I ran 32 mins but measured it at 8kms  i could hear others skiting of their new 10k pbs

Marky_Mark_17

Mark thats so funny and reminds me of a Waihi beach funrun 10k i did a few years ago. I ran 32 mins but measured it at 8kms  i could hear others skiting of their new 10k pbs

Haha I know sometimes courses run a bit short to make people think they're fast... but 20% short is just hilarious!  JMac will go to town on this...

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

JMac11

RIP Milkman

And I think your result is also a good reminder that it's no big deal if you end up with a long injury-enforced break like you had after NYC last year, if you put the work in you can get into even better shape fairly quickly.  Awesome effort and congrats on a massive PR.

Quoting this out specifically for this forum because I know a lot of people are going through injury stuff. If you guys remember, I ran a 10K in April at 6:10/3:50 pace. My marathon? I ran it at 6:20/3:56 pace. So within a span of 7 months of training, I converted my 10K pace into my marathon pace. I never would have thought that was possible when coming back, so for everyone dealing with injuries, just keep the spirits up!

Short Courses - That, and high dew point, are my main enemies at this point. I ran the tangents so perfectly on Sunday and still came up long by almost 400 meters on my GPS. I guess I can claim I'm a sub 2:45 marathoner now because my Strava gave me it at 2:44:53!

Also, thanks everyone for the congrats. I really enjoy the community here.

Keen - As my fellow Daniels aficionado, you're up next 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Jmac - that sounds like standard 1% deviation for GPS measurements. When you check marathons it's common to see 42.4 to 42.6km.

If you can keep healthy and follow this very victorious cycle with another similar one (no need to be much better, just the same), I believe you can still see some break throughs, especially on the shorter distances.

me - we tried running this morning here in Belfast, we ended up turning back half way cause we're not fans of the ice bucket challenge LOL

Cold rain and 10c 50F is not my favorite running weather. Hopefully we get better luck tomorrow. I sent a message to Marco, but not sure he's in town this week.

I got curious about the weather here and the yearly average is 3h of sun light per day. That's just so sad.

My home town is 6h40 for comparison, with 8h30+ of sunlight per day on the summer months.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - And I'm SO ready for race day to be here! Some of those weird "can I even run that far?" thoughts have shown up, but I'm doing my best to just dismiss them. After all, the training (better than any before) is already done, so it just remains to actually execute on the race. While I do think I could make an honest attempt at ~3:00, I'm not going for it since it would be far from a sure thing. I'll probably just aim to keep things between 6:55-7:00/mi, which I certainly think is doable, so I can get a solid BQ and worry about sub-3 another day.

Flavio - Just 3 hours of sunlight per day? Sounds like what my uncle and his family put up with in Alaska.

Weather forecasts are accurate 1.5 weeks out, right?? Looks like it will be ~34F/1.1C to start with a slight wind. A touch colder than I'd like, but I've run marathons in colder weather.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - That's classic, and a good opportunity for some foxing.  You should convince him he's faster than you then place a bet but insist on odds because of his great "10km" time.

Keen - I see no reason why the forecast could be wrong!  I like when the 10 day forecast stays the same for 9 days then suddenly is completely different...or even better, when it gets changed on the day after someone has looked out the window and worked out their modelling is wrong.

Me - Definitely not doing the 5km tonight.  Calf is still just as sore as it was 2 days ago but with 4.5 weeks to go I'm not going to panic just yet.  Usually the pain lingers for what feels like forever then suddenly disappears.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Bugger on the calf Steve. Ive been running a safe route near home so I can bail when my calf hurts. Monday it was 3km Tuesday 5kms and today felt good so did 10kms. I chucked in 3kms at 3.40/km but had 1km rest between. I did this just to try and make 10k pace feel easier as im running a 10k on saturday and gunning for my 1st sub 40 as a 50 year old.

The course is the flattest 10k course I will have ever run. All my past 10ks have had hills.

Flavio that weather reminds me of the UK grey and miserable and why people leave and move over here 

Keen you have put in the training and deserve a good result. I see OKC Thunder have a 5k run soon. You should enter. I want to see some selfies with you Westbrook, Adams and PG. They just won 5 in a row after 4 losses 1st up.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - you should definitely place a bet. It'd be funny though if for some mysterious universe reason the other runner is actually fast 

I'm sure you have stalked all his race results ever by now though.

Piwi - Wow a flat 10k. Will there be a train tracks crossing though 

I estimate you in between 37:30 and 38:30 depending on whether the calf is a bother. You're welcome for this completely unsolicited advice 

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly