On Wisconsin! (Read 2075 times)

I hear from Fox news that the protests are getting terribly violent.  And this footage proves it... 

http://wonkette.com/439639/yes-wisconsin-now-has-palm-trees

and apparently the National Guard is being called to land on the shores of the lake to confront the heavily armed protesters as you can see in this footage...

http://www.flixster.com/movie/saving-private-ryan-videos/omaha-beach-opening-scene-saving-private-ryan-10988543

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I hear from Fox news that the protests are getting terribly violent.  And this footage proves it... 

http://wonkette.com/439639/yes-wisconsin-now-has-palm-trees

And yet people will still defend FOX News (FAUX News) to the ends of the Earth.  I really can't wait to see what John Stewart does with this.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Prince of Fatness

Heh.

Not at it at all. 

And yet people will still defend FOX News (FAUX News) to the ends of the Earth.  I really can't wait to see what John Stewart does with this.

Here's another take on this:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/no-fox-news-did-not-lie-with-wisconsin-palm-tree-violent-protest-video/

Note:  I don't have cable, so I don't consider myself a Fox news defender...

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Here's another take on this:

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/no-fox-news-did-not-lie-with-wisconsin-palm-tree-violent-protest-video/

Note:  I don't have cable, so I don't consider myself a Fox news defender...

Yeah...well, I've seen the entire clip.  The talking heads at FOX are very clearly talking about the protests IN WI while they show footage of unrelated protests in tropical climes.  They also talk about signs saying "FOX Lies" while showing footage of signs having nothing at all to do with FOX News.  One would think that in the digital age that SOMEONE at FOX could have snapped even one photograph of these signs referred to by the remote guy in Madison, right...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

One of the comments says, "This really reflects poorly on Fox News.  They will lose credibility over this."

Hah hah.  Good one.

Runners run

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

One of the comments says, "This really reflects poorly on Fox News.  They will lose credibility over this."

Hah hah.  Good one.

This made me laugh out loud. Nice!

TRUST THE PROCESS

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

How could Fox News possibly lose credibility??

I dunno, maybe it's because I don't have cable, but I just don't get bent on what is said on OPINION shows.  Right wingers O'Reilly, Beck, Hannity and their liberal brethren like Ed, Maddow, Olberman are all in the business of "info-tainment", not news.  The most entertaining clips are from Stewart though, IMHO.  But I don't watch any of these shows (youtube clips) for news.  Another topic for a new threadJoking

2014 - Get 5k back under 20:00.  Stay healthy!

Why is it sideways?

I dunno, maybe it's because I don't have cable, but I just don't get bent on what is said on OPINION shows.  Right wingers O'Reilly, Beck, Hannity and their liberal brethren like Ed, Maddow, Olberman are all in the business of "info-tainment", not news.  The most entertaining clips are from Stewart though, IMHO.  But I don't watch any of these shows (youtube clips) for news.  Another topic for a new threadJoking

Right, but you did link to a wacky info-tainment website in order to attempt a justification of Foxnews, which is a strange thing to do given the above sentiment.

Further, even opinion shows (maybe especially opinion shows) have a duty to get the facts right and not doctor information or video clips in order to justify their opinions. They ought to be criticized for such acts. It is a performative contradiction to criticize the folk who point out egregious errors and defend people who twist the truth.

Plus, this thread is already "another thread."

Prince of Fatness

Plus, this thread is already "another thread."

Agree.  So rather than discuss the merits of Fox News I'll try to swing this back toward the original topic.

Interesting article here.

This is a valid argument from the union.....

The New Jersey Education Association Wednesday issued a statement saying tying performance reviews to standardized test scores could narrow curriculum in schools and reinforce teaching for the sake of passing a test.

Measuring teacher performance will not be easy to implement.  Inflammatory statements such as this one from our Education commissioner will not help.

"They are just fundamentally opposed to having teachers accountable for student learning. And that’s not in the best interests of children," Cerf said.

And to be fair, the union is doing their fair share of stirring things up.  From this article.

“All of New Jersey’s middle-class is hurting, but this governor and his right-wing supporters are trying to start a middle-class civil war,” said New Jersey Education Association President Barbara Keshishian.

I am really concerned that the polarization in this country has gone too far, and that there will never be an environment for civil agreements to occur.  Lots of work to be done.

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

Agree.  So rather than discuss the merits of Fox News I'll try to swing this back toward the original topic.

Interesting article here.

This is a valid argument from the union.....

The New Jersey Education Association Wednesday issued a statement saying tying performance reviews to standardized test scores could narrow curriculum in schools and reinforce teaching for the sake of passing a test.

Measuring teacher performance will not be easy to implement.  Inflammatory statements such as this one from our Education commissioner will not help.

"They are just fundamentally opposed to having teachers accountable for student learning. And that’s not in the best interests of children," Cerf said.

And to be fair, the union is doing their fair share of stirring things up.  From this article.

“All of New Jersey’s middle-class is hurting, but this governor and his right-wing supporters are trying to start a middle-class civil war,” said New Jersey Education Association President Barbara Keshishian.

I am really concerned that the polarization in this country has gone too far, and that there will never be an environment for civil agreements to occur.  Lots of work to be done.

Good stuff!

I really liked this statement from the article:

According to Sean Corcoran, a researcher and assistant professor at New York University, the best the current testing models can do is identify those teachers who are systematically very high or very low performing after multiple years of observation. “Didn’t we already know who these teachers are?” he asked.

One of the problems with evaluation is that folks try to take a method that works very well in a laboratory setting in the natural sciences and then simply shift that method to something like a classroom--when they forget that the success of the method of isolating a variable in the natural sciences is totally dependent upon the laboratory apparatus, which allows for the repetition of an experiment. Ironically, because folks are trying to follow the methodology of natural science, you unfortunately get a method of intelligence that is costly and gives you stupid and inflexible answers.

What is a good method for inquiring into the effectiveness of a teacher? Actually, human beings who have been around teaching practices are pretty good at it. The human brain is really bad at taking one variable apart from the rest and analyzing it. Computers are really good at this. But humans are much better than computers at the practice of synthetic judgment, which requires looking at a complex practice and drawing general conclusions from it. 

The best method for determining who the best teachers are? You ask the administrators, students, parents, and their fellow teachers. Though it seems subjective, it is actually the most objective and scientific measure of performance because it is able to account for a multiplicity of variables instead of reducing a very complex thing into one variable.

Prince of Fatness

The best method for determining who the best teachers are? You ask the administrators, students, parents, and their fellow teachers. Though it seems subjective, it is actually the most objective and scientific measure of performance because it is able to account for a multiplicity of variables instead of reducing a very complex thing into one variable.

I agree.  I do not think that it is something measurable, at least not something that we are used to from an HR perspective.  When asked I am confident that these folks will know the answer, and it will be as accurate as we are going to get.  I also believe that you may have a difficult time getting the answer to why.  They just know.

At least that has been my experience as a student and someone who knows quite a few folks that have worked in schools over the years.

Not at it at all. 

Why is it sideways?

At least that has been my experience as a student and someone who knows quite a few folks that have worked in schools over the years.

Yes, this is the way that the American university system--which happens to be the greatest educational apparatus ever built in the history of the world--evaluates its educators. Simply through students surveys and inquiry into their colleagues perceptions of their teaching.

Why is it sideways?