2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

OMR

Jmac: Thanks.  It’s funny, I carry a GoPro with me so I can stop a few times and take a few photos.  I usually have it set up so that I just need to push a button, it automatically turns on and snaps 10 photos in 3 seconds, then shuts off, so it is a very brief stop.  Anyhow, looking at them this morning, almost all of the photos I took were of easily runnable surface (which was early in the run, because after a while, I was too crabby to take photos).  Wow, that’s a nice week, with the 20 @ 6:43 to cap it off.

Brew: Yeah, I think that’s one of the interesting aspects of ultras; how variable the trails can be, making comparisons difficult.  Thanks for the pacing offer, should I get in, I will seriously consider that.  But right now, my chances are what, 1 in 4,000 or something?  Not to concerned at the moment.  We have a local brewery called Junkyard, so when you said “Junkyard Adventures,” I assumed you meant consuming large quantities of beer.

Keen:. Yikes on DD2 bringing the cold to bed.  I suppose this is one nice thing about having cats rather than children.  ;-) Oh, but then my cat has diarrhea about 80% of the time, so...

I’m getting the itch to start running again, but I probably should wait one more day.

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

dps Saw the run on Strava this morning. The heart rate looked good. I couldn't really see the pace all that well but it looked like you had to slow down. Do you just adjust the speed on the treadmill for each half mile? Oh and my comment of "snail" was Snow + Hail = SN-ail. Not calling you slow

No I ran it as described. My garmin just does not sync with speeds on treadmill. It bases it off my cadence and average stride, so when I change paces it doesn't really detect it. Wu/cd were at 7:03 pace....the rest at 6/6:30 every mile. I think snail is a good name. Normally I would call it sleet but it looked like tiny tiny peuces of white foam. It was really weird. Like perfect snowballs for a 2mm tall person.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

dpschumacher

5 months til Masters

Stats on usa marathon trials qualifiers...

https://www.atlanta2020trials.com/qualifier-statistics

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brew: Yeah, I think that’s one of the interesting aspects of ultras; how variable the trails can be, making comparisons difficult.  Thanks for the pacing offer, should I get in, I will seriously consider that.  But right now, my chances are what, 1 in 4,000 or something?  Not to concerned at the moment.  We have a local brewery called Junkyard, so when you said “Junkyard Adventures,” I assumed you meant consuming large quantities of beer.

See the source image

I'm not sure I'd want to drink a beer called Junkyard. I did see a bottle of "This One Goes To 11" and I had to double check. 11% abv Imperial Red IPA (I think) from Bells. Four Pack. Told the wife "Oh I'd get DOWN on that. Back in my prime around number 2.5 I'd be thinking I'd get through the whole 4 pack because what am I going to do with just ONE 11% bottle of beer?"

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

I'm not sure I'd want to drink a beer called Junkyard. I did see a bottle of "This One Goes To 11" and I had to double check. 11% abv Imperial Red IPA (I think) from Bells. Four Pack. Told the wife "Oh I'd get DOWN on that. Back in my prime around number 2.5 I'd be thinking I'd get through the whole 4 pack because what am I going to do with just ONE 11% bottle of beer?"

big malty beer that is absolutely worth trying.  in fact, I need to get another bottle or two!

Cyberic

JMac That's quite a week. Kudos on doing 1000s for which I can understand the pace without converting from imperial Smile  The 400s I understand too! And also, that's quite a LR!

About my training vs Spring marathon, as you say, I'll see how it goes. I've gone 2 straight days without running before, after a marathon for example, after getting my wisdom teeth pulled out, but it's the first time it's happened by lack of motivation. But yeah, those two days off worked wonders on my mood.

kramrunner

*** Toledo 2020, Week 13 ***
                M       02/10             00 43 00    5.22 sore & watch kaput Sad
                T        02/11             01 00 10    7.08
                W       02/12             -- -- --        URD        +31min bike
                Th      02/13            00 34 18     4.2    some fartlek as bloody cold
                F        02/14             -- -- --        URD  sore again
                S       02/15            01 47 32    14.04 
                S       02/16            00 58 54       7.15
                                                                   ====

Week went ok. Slow enough improvement brought to a halt by a spontaneous ~0F weather induced fartlek on Thur evening in an effort to keep warm. Ankle/calf was not happy on Fri, despite zero discomfort whatsoever while running. The ankle brace turns out to not be worth a shite, so I've bought some new compression calf sleeves. Let's see how that goes. Suunto 5 arrived on Fri and I gave it a spin over the weekend, dodgy enough +0.1mi on Sat, but I believe that might be due to not having the GPS acquisition fully locked/updated when I started. Much better and more understandable +0.03mi on Sun. Otherwise, does what it says on the tin, but with much more modes and such nonsense in comparison to the old TomTom. Much time wasting ahead at some point down the road!

Jmac & Andres: Cheers lads... plugging away, annoying but sitting around drives me stir crazy!

Mikkey: Careful you don't hurt your back carrying all that sand.

Slammin: That 7 yearly Illuminati ceremonial achilles sacrifice or some such is weird. You should try opt out, though I'm sure the small type might be quite tight. Running is great, especially when it's bright out and you get back after an hour and only remember anything about the run because the gps watch logged it. Well, that and the feeling of absolutely burying yourself from time to time... alive, very fooking alive! Really strong week, those back to back LRs look like someone is going to crush an ultra later this year.

Cal: Stay safe auld fella! I do love how colds are so much shorter when you run as much as we do though. This time of year, it's a reason to be a little smug!

Marky: Nice build up in progress, with some really fast stuff in there.

JT: Yup, if you can mentally handle the tm, nothing like the comfort of it compared to a miserable dark cold morning. Solid week.

OMR: Sounds like an interesting adventure at least. Nice job!

DPS: Great week. How are you reacting to those doubles?

Dwave: Burn that scummy companies shoes! Solid week of running.

Weather: blah, blah, blah... "I'm right back at it, smashing out great workout and mileage again".

Jmac: That's a fantastic long run. How are you planning additional LRs. Assuming this as a quality run, next one in 1/2/3 weeks or 3 weeks per month of LR quality?

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ve got no idea what that means. I prefer to lie on the sand rather than carry it. 

I had a phone call from the pace team organiser for my local half yesterday (the race is this Sunday). How are you doing Mikkey!!!  No word from him during the months that I’ve been injured and I never let him down in the previous 5 years as a pacer. One of his new guys has just pulled out with a sore back. Thanks for asking, but no thanks.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

For all the shit Mikkey gives to others on this thread, I'm glad someone is dishing it back 

Kram - I'm only doing a big long run (20+) every 3 weeks. I don't think they're as valuable as others think they are, as long as you're getting a steady diet of 16-18 mile runs with quality. 2 hour runs with big quality is much better than just slogging away at 3.0 hour long runs. I've read a lot of research on this that there doesn't seem to be much incentive to go that long anyway besides just building muscle strength to take the beating of a marathon, so every other week is about the max I would ever do. I know a lot of people on these boards disagree with me on that one though.

Cyberic - I took 3 weeks off after my marathon. It was nice 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JT - what's the goal for the race?

JMac: To finish with my dignity intact and my legs still attached. Not really sure what pace I can/should target now. Great week btw; when I saw that long run I though there must be a block of MP in it, but you went all Pfitzy on that one!

Weather: Nice even split on that 10k! And very strong finish. You're looking good for a sub 75 this weekend.

Dave PNW: I'm a fan of the Mona fartlek as well; just started doing it last year. I would like to also put it in as a 2nd workout in my weeks; it's tough but not overwhelming like some of the big LT workouts.

Keen: Enjoy the taper and hope you evade the sickness.

Brew: Nice week. Loved the Dumb & Dumber reference...the TurboLax thing always cracks me up 

Kram: That is crappy news regarding the ankle. I hope the calf sleeves help solve the problem. What steered you to a Suunto watch and not another Tomtom?

Andres: Nice job on that 8k! And thanks for the feedback on the Floatride. I've worn them primarily for track workouts, though I did race a 10k in them last year. I think I may go with them Sunday.

2:52:16 (2018)

DeadRunner

Me: Training going very well. Did 5x1K yesterday which felt great (personally like longer speed intervals and less of them, feels like it goes by faster). Struggling to settle on a good speed shoe, ive had the pegasus turbo 2 for speed but giving me blisters on heel. Gonna try the skechers gorun hyper razor 3 again for next speed session. Doing 8 mi tempo tomorrow. Feeling very good with my goal pace of 8:20. Already thinking beyond NJ marathon in april, if it goes well I know I can get to sub 8 min mile pace for next marathon (hopefully NYC). First bigger long run this sunday of 15 mi and I can't wait, my 3 yr old daughter is gonna make signs for me and wait on the steps for me to finish with her mom.

Jmac: wow thats a crazy week. Here I am worrying about my 50 mi weeks lol

Kramrunner: Good luck on the ankle, I had ankle issues last year with training and it was miserable. Never under estimate the power of rest though, it sucks to not run for a few days but worth it to have healthier ankle by race day.

I know I'm faster.

Mile 6:03, HM: 1:50:56, M: 4:01:54

Next Race: NJ Marathon 4/26, Goal: 3:39:00

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Yesterday was a great day, I doubled down on 2k Tuesday, you see the plan was to run 5 x 2k at two different peoples paces. Ali in the morning and Oscar in the evening.

So at 5:00 AM I Paced my friend through her workout.

5:OO AM Workout 5x 2ks we ran 8:08, 7:55, 8:03, 7:50, 7:58 w/ Ali

Mile splits @ 6:18, 6:01, 6:15, 6:07, 6:13  (this is bullshit GPS splits about 30-40M out.

Then in the evening I was going to pace Oscar but he bolted took off, started without me so I got mad and took it out on the workout. if he figured I'd lap him I'll forgive him but I didn't want to run alone. I felt so unfulfilled being left on the track. Rather than running unfulfilled, like a California bear I opted for stupid fast hobby TRexxing. Tuesday ended up being great day for some Trex walking my freaking hips hurt so bad immediately after. Damn you Sport Jester this is so hard I better get 20% efficiency but ill take a 2:28 at London.  I didn't even eat dinner. I ate two slice of whole wheat toast and went straight to bed. I slept in thinking I'd be sore but I feel amazing.

8:00 PM Evening 5x2k @7:10, 6:58, 6:52, 6:46, 6:33

Mile splits @ 5;29/5:21/5:15/5:10/5:07 more bullshit.  When in a pace calculator its actually 5:46/5:36/5:32/5:27/5:16

Thinking should be done first, before training begins.

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Someone recently took a dig at me about the Mona.  like I give a flying Ruccus. I love Mona we are in a physically abusive relationship I suffer the brunt of the physical abuse almost every week. I stay with her because she is so emotionally rewarding. She wraps me in a pain blanket and I get stronger. Its over so quickly I hardly remember the abuse but the feels after wards are so amazing and so rewarding so every week I stumble out of bed and go to her, my lovely mistress for that sweet physical abuse that leaves me emotionally satisfied. You wouldn't understand. No workout has ever challenged me so much. I wouldn't give her up for the world she gets me and I get her even though were often both misunderstood we make it work she is my muse and I am her submissive.

Back to my thoughts on Mona.I 'll go into the details a little later in a chart.

Last week I did Deek Quarters for the group but if its up to me I'd make Mona moan every Thursday. Just so many ways to run it and to be honest none of them wrong. I make the two ways I do it serve a purpose, some days I go maximal distance other days I go maximal speed.  On maximal speed its my own hurt locker I think that's when Mona makes me moan, especially towards the end so that its an anaerobic effort.

I love to look at my data I run on feel but I like to have the data to interpret you can learn so much about yourself or your athlete.

You never get stale with the Mona as a staple. If its boring make the heffa more challenging she loves when you get rough and hard with her that's when the latex gloves comes off she will nail you, kick you in the guts, choke you, have you gasping for air at the end.  Get aggressive with her too early she kicks you back in the nuts those 30-15s are pure suffering. The more you do it the more you find your rhythm the more you can make the workout more challenging. Steve Moneghetti did them weekly and he ran faster than any of us can ever hope. Maybe I'm on the spectrum cause I love repetitive workouts that provide measurable results and statistics. As you get stronger increase the loads.

Anyway there are days my athletes fall flat on their face after a good Mona.

I smile and say that's a good girl. She gets it done. Then all day my phone is beeping because the peacocks are excited about Mona. That rarely ever happens on long interval days no one raves about 2ks, 1ks, or 800s.

Here is my data table from a Mona workout  notice the average pace towards the end its a surging float. When I go for maximal distance I will crank float keep it around a minute slower. I'm running by feel not watching the watch its hard enough paying attention to the frenetic beeping.

btw - If my post offends you, you're missing the point.

TIME Cum. Time  Distance  Avg. Pace Avg HR  Max HR
                            1:30 26:25 0.31 4:54 108 130
                            1:30 27:55 0.25 6:01 143 158
                            1:30 29:25 0.32 4:42 132 136
                            1:30 30:55 0.25 6:00 140 159
                            1:00 31:55 0.22 4:29 149 157
                            1:00 32:55 0.16 6:10 154 158
                            1:00 33:55 0.22 4:39 145 154
                            1:00 34:55 0.16 6:15 150 156
                            1:00 35:55 0.22 4:36 149 157
                            1:00 36:55 0.17 6:02 153 159
                            1:00 37:55 0.22 4:36 146 149
                            1:00 38:55 0.16 6:24 152 158
                            0:30 39:25 0.11 4:34 154 160
                            0:30 39:55 0.08 6:21 156 159
                            0:30 40:25 0.11 4:45 156 159
                            0:30 40:55 0.08 6:00 155 159
                            0:30 41:25 0.11 4:39 155 161
                            0:30 41:55 0.08 6:22 155 158
                            0:30 42:25 0.11 4:29 163 172
                            0:30 42:55 0.08 6:26 158 161
                            0:15 43:10 0.05 4:51 163 170
                            0:15 43:25 0.05 5:20 164 167
                            0:15 43:40 0.05 4:35 169 173
                            0:15 43:55 0.05 5:23 167 169
                            0:15 44:10 0.05 4:39 169 172
                            0:15 44:25 0.05 5:12 169 171
                            0:15 44:40 0.05 4:36 167 170
                            0:15 44:55 0.04 6:06 162 164
                            20:00 20:00 3.81 mi 5:19 avg pace 153 Avg HR 159 avg Max HR

minmalS

Stotan Disciple

Kram its called the 7 year scourge its real.

Brew I love your post. I wouldn't drink a bear call Junkyard either. I was on IPAs for a while but now I'm into Ciders and recently Mead.

JMAC amazing week.

DArkwave Nice week you've been racing a lot. What's up with that. I feel like  if I race more frequently its hard to get in the quality of training. How does that affect your decision process. I love racing but don't want to get side tracked even though I'll train through races its still a lot to ask. There was a time I trained lightly and raced a lot 2-3 times a weekend. Then it was my weekly quality I was decent but one dimensional like fast at mile\5k only now I feel like I have more range. From 400M to a 50K just my thoughts not a criticism.

WeatherBoy Nice week as well. Boy you must have been suffering on those two climbs lol. Seriously Bridges are hard I think that's why NYC is so much harder than Boston those climbs don't look like much but you do quite a few before heading up 5th Ave and into CP.

kramrunner

Kram - I'm only doing a big long run (20+) every 3 weeks. I don't think they're as valuable as others think they are, as long as you're getting a steady diet of 16-18 mile runs with quality. 2 hour runs with big quality is much better than just slogging away at 3.0 hour long runs. I've read a lot of research on this that there doesn't seem to be much incentive to go that long anyway besides just building muscle strength to take the beating of a marathon, so every other week is about the max I would ever do. I know a lot of people on these boards disagree with me on that one though.

There was a great OT qualifier study from a bunch of years back and the variability in >16mi runs was impressive, right from exactly zero to every week, and all resulting in something <2:20.

Nimmals: The on/offs are mi pace/something respectable or mi-pace/something-specific like Marathon-pace?

JT: TomRom are basically bailing out of the wearables business, so I didn't want to invest in their system as they could decide to pull their servers and support any day. Was a decision between the garmin245/suunto5 and suunto5 dropped in price last week, so I pulled the trigger. A lot of bad reviews of screen brightness (don't get this at all) and that they are moving from their old very popular online platform online. Means zilch to me, as I just fwd. everything to strava. I suspect many who buy this are trying for an all day watch as they look quite stylish, I haven't adopted that mindset yet, F-91W ftw!

5k: 17:32 (11/18) -- 10k: 38:47 (07/17) -- 10m: 60:23 (08/17)  -- 1/2: 1:22:32 (11/17) -- full: 2:49:26 (04/17)

2020 Goals: Assault on 2:40!         Next up: Toledo (Apr 26)