I've Lost That Loving Feeling...? (Read 1577 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

April, what if you went to Portland and volunteered at the race, if you decide that you don't want to run it?  That way you don't waste your tickets and hotel reservation.  Make a vacation out of it.

Smile That seems like a great option!

noahsd

When running feels like another job to me I give myself a break.  Sometimes it is a few weeks or a few months or even longer but I always seem to come back to running.  We are not paid athletes we are doing this because we want to be runners.  I have been training hard since Feb and I am pretty burned out right now as well but this is the cycle of being a runner.  When I have a bad run, the next run I just go and run for fun.  No watch, no mileage requirement, no planned route, just go there and have fun.  Good luck!

Wow, first of all, thank you SO much to everyone for your opinions and feedback. It was great to see how different people look at the situation differently, and to especially hear some of your stories about how you went through and handled something similar. It's nice to know you're not alone and not crazy!

To answer some of the questions, shamefully, yes, I have logged all of my runs. Trust me, I'm not proud of it. I already know 100% that I have not trained adequately for this race and I did plenty of research ahead of time on the risks, etc. and I had decided I would try anyways (whether that was smart is another thread topic). But like I had said, my post was more about how I was feeling and not how I had trained -- although, I am realizing now through your feedback that how I feel could very well be coming from how I trained. And that makes a lot of sense!

I spoke to a few people in my support system today (husband, mom, sister in law) and each of them supported me 100% either way, which was really great to hear. That I wasn't letting anyone down if I decided not to run, and that I shouldn't be ashamed if I choose not to, and that it is all about me, and how I feel and what I want to do.

My sister in law brought up the best point (she's done two marathons and numerous other road races herself), which really clarified some of how I was feeling, which was that the thrill of the race isn't there as much, and it makes the knowledge of the inevitable pain, the grueling last few miles, etc. less bearable. I think I'm wimping out! My first marathon, I didn't know how much pain I'd be in - and the thrill of finishing 26.2 for the first time was all I could think about. The second marathon, the thrill of the race was still there, and the prospect of running faster was in my mind and proving that I could do it again, and it overcame the thoughts of pain. But this time around, I think I realized I'm not getting as much payout on my long runs as I need to be in order to be willing to tolerate the abuse I put my body through in running such long distances.

I've done a lot of reflecting over the past few days, and I keep swinging from "NO, I am not running, I just don't want to" back up to "YES, I am going to run, I've done this twice before, this will be my 'adieu' to 26.2 for a while, and I am just going to take my time, not worry about pace and finish the race and only worry about taking it in and enjoying it". Right now, I'm on board with running the race and calling it quits for awhile afterward, trying to get better at some shorter distances (1/2 m max and 5k, 10k) and trying new events (a sprint tri, perhaps).

I am sure many of you frown upon my decision to run, given my horrible - and trust me, I know just how horrible it is - training but we all know running a marathon is not the same formula for everyone, and that we are all the best judge of how we are feeling physically; which, to be honest, is the best I've ever felt training - physically - but not mentally. My mental is my problem right now, not my legs!

I just read this article (sent from mum) http://oregonsportsnews.com/team-news/fitness/make-some-noise-for-the-2012-portland-marathon.html and it got me more excited than I have been. I think right now, I just need to focus on channeling my energy into positive thoughts and feelings, rather than doubt myself and feel bad about my poor preparation.

Thank you all so much for the feedback and support, it is really great to have this as a resource and I appreciate you all helping me through this process!

2012: Just run.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I am sure many of you frown upon my decision to run, given my horrible - and trust me, I know just how horrible it is - training but we all know running a marathon is not the same formula for everyone, and that we are all the best judge of how we are feeling physically; which, to be honest, is the best I've ever felt training - physically - but not mentally. My mental is my problem right now, not my legs!

Pretty sure there are lots of RA regulars who have finished 26.2 on worse training.  No judging from where I sit.  I hope you enjoy your temporary adieu to the marathon.  I like your plan to try other things.  Life's too short to get hung up doing something you don't really love most of the time.  Too many other great things worth giving a try at least once. Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

If a continous 20 mile run is too hard, can you do a back to back 2 hour ( or about 12 miles each day) runs, say sat/ sun, will probably be similar training stimulus, lot less mental anguish, and likely lesser injury risk. Do another one hour run in the middle of the week and you should be able to finish the marathon just fine.
              If a continous 20 mile run is too hard, can you do a back to back 2 hour ( or about 12 miles each day) runs, say sat/ sun, will probably be similar training stimulus, lot less mental anguish, and likely lesser injury risk. Do another one hour run in the middle of the week and you should be able to finish the marathon just fine.

Wow, wow, wow!!  HappyFeet; what are you trying to do?  Push her deeper in a hole?  Portland Marathon is on 10/7/2012.  She's only got less than 2.5 weeks.  Why try another super effort when her signs clearly indicate she's physically AND mentally tired?  

Most people training for a marathon are over-trained.  They pick a bogus training plan ("this one looks good...") and their goal invariably turns into completing that plan regardless of what instead of running a marathon well.  How many times have you come across someone who would say; "Oh, I was so busy last few months but I'm determined to do those three 20-milers this month..." a month before the target marathon?

Is she trying to do another 20-miler (which would be the biggest mistake) and what's the merit of doing back-to-back 12 milers 2 weeks before the marathon when all the signs in the world are screaming "ENOUGH!!"  She needs easy jog--a half an hour easy jog as OFTEN as possible--and some strides to refresh her legs.  Fartlek would be best if she knows how to do it right...

My bad Nobby, I thought this marathon was sometimes later in the winter, I got this mixed up with some other thread.    

#artbydmcbride

.....Most people training for a marathon are over-trained.  .....

All due respect, Nobby, whatever is the issue here, I don't believe it is being overtrained.    Given the amount of running she has been doing, I don't think one 12 mile run one day and another 12 mile run the next day, done this weekend, would over stress her.  And it could certainly make her marathon much easier on the 7th.

Runners run

All due respect, Nobby, whatever is the issue here, I don't believe it is being overtrained.    Given the amount of running she has been doing, I don't think one 12 mile run one day and another 12 mile run the next day, done this weekend, would over stress her.  And it could certainly make her marathon much easier on the 7th.

You might want to look at her log a little closer. She has 6 weeks where she logged more then 12 miles a week in the last 52 weeks. Back to back 12 milers sounds pretty stressful.

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

2014 Goals:

Stay healthy

Enjoy life

My bad Nobby, I thought this marathon was sometimes later in the winter, I got this mixed up with some other thread.    

Makes sense.  Of all the people here... ;o)

All due respect, here's Training 101.  For some people, running 100 miles a week is not "over-training".  For others, doing a single 20-miler can be over-taxing.  The difference is not in the genes; but the difference is in the background of training.  Just because someone "hasn't run much", that does not qualify for "under-trained".  On the contrary, BECAUSE she hadn't run much, sometimes a simple run of 12-miler to some could be toxic to some other people.

As for OP, since beginning of July till the beginning of September (for 2 months), she has run 13 times.  That's 13 times out of 60 days.  That's less than once in 4 days; or less than twice a week of running.  That, to me, is serious under-prepared state to attempt a marathon.  So, yes, in THAT sense, you're right.  However, of those 13, 4 are over 2-hours; one over 3-hours and one close to 3 (2:43).  Prior to that, the last 2-hour run she did was June 2011.  Most of her runs were LESS than an hour.  That, to me, is a SURE sign of the exact example I had given earlier; "Man, I'd better start cramming in long runs to get ready for my next month's marathon...!!"  Result?  Over-trained.  The worst solution=let's do another long run to make up all the lost training earlier...!

#artbydmcbride

You might want to look at her log a little closer. She has 6 weeks where she logged more then 12 miles a week in the last 52 weeks. Back to back 12 milers sounds pretty stressful.

Yes, I looked.   I guess you guys are right, she should just taper now and then run 26.2 miles.  That would be the less stressful thing to do.  Smile

Girl, I think you have the right attitude, don't mind our squabbling.  Run and walk it and listen to your body and have a good time.

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

Dear OP -- there will be future marathons (I hope!) My vote is for skipping this one and concentrating on becoming a runner for the long haul, which would obviously be even cooler than running a marathon.

The paces on your training runs are actually pretty quick. I bet there is some talent in there. If you train smart, you will not just be completing marathons, you will be kicking ass.

Cheers!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Girl, I think you have the right attitude, don't mind our squabbling.  Run and walk it and listen to your body and have a good time.

+1

(And I think the squabble was just over terminology.  Training, a long-term thing, vs. cramming in a couple of over-taxing runs.)

L Train

Dear OP -- there will be future marathons (I hope!) My vote is for skipping this one and concentrating on becoming a runner for the long haul, which would obviously be even cooler than running a marathon.

The paces on your training runs are actually pretty quick. I bet there is some talent in there. If you train smart, you will not just be completing marathons, you will be kicking ass.

Cheers!

Maybe the most painful advice to hear, but also maybe the best, partricularly if you aren't loving it right now.