2019 3:20, And Beyond (Read 444 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

What? What kind of nonsense is that? It's 160 TDP here and I can run 10 miles without water. Unless you're doing long runs with your team, that policy makes no sense.

When you run with lawyers I'm sure LOTS of things don't make sense...like conversations, or doing anything that might give you a reason you could sue someone.

AS for me personally...While it has been a while since I've run in actually HOT weather I'd personally take a water bottle for anything that's 1+ hours. It's not becuase I need it. It's for a few runs. Easy runs are supposed to be easy and carrying a water bottle (ultimate direction AMP) is easier when you have a nice one, drinking water is never a bad thing, and after "needing" to buy all this cool running gear I feel foolish/stupid when I have it and don't use it...almost like I'm wasting money. I might be like omr and recognize how dehydrated I am when I have water. Plus it is a good time to try new nutrition (Nuun, tailwind, gatorade, etc) and I probably drink during a run if I carry water. If I don't I won't. I can ride a bike to work but I don't. Mostly because I don't like cycling...doesn't make me right or wrong.

What would you do on race day? Run 9-16 miles without water? Why not train similar to how you race?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

OMR

Drive-by to post my week:

M:  8.2 @ 8:35

T:  11.3 @ 8:54 w/3 x 0.5M @ -2%

W:  4.1 with a 5K at tempo effort

T:  5.3 @ 8:31

F:  17 @ 9:11

S:  10 @ 8:54

S:  Rest

Total:  55.9

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

What would you do on race day? Run 9-16 miles without water? Why not train similar to how you race?

I have run a 15k without water before - temps were in the low 40's, though.

How were the wedding and the long drives?

DWave, OMR - Nice weeks.

School needs to start. DD1 and DD2 have been spending a bit too much time near each other, and while they typically get along quite well some fights have been getting rather intense and it makes me want to drive 20 miles through 3 different construction zones to go to the office rather than work from home.

Last week was a bit rough after having almost all of the prior week off. HR way too high for the effort, feeling like I had lost all my heat acclimatization, etc. I didn't get a LR in, but not too worried about that since I'm still nearly 15 weeks out from my goal HM. Today's run was SO much better than anything last week. Temps/humidity were still poor (~73* & 71* respectively) but I felt much better. HR was low at the end of the first mile (I figured it was just the tailwind), but that held on. I even tacked on an extra mile since I got out a bit early today. Saving a workout for tomorrow since temps should be even better then (63* predicted).

Monday, Jul 15, 2019 thru Sunday, Jul 21, 2019

<tfoot> </tfoot>
        Day Miles Pace Description HR Link
        Mon 10.7 7:29 Practicing my "W"s at M effort 161 (82%) strava
        Tue 11.1 8:23 2 rabbits, 1 heron, and 2 oddly cool pockets of air that felt great 154 (79%) strava
        Wed 8.3 8:29 Running down the road yelling "Foghorn Leghorn! His name is Foghorn Leghorn!" Happy the gang figured it out 155 (79%) strava
        Thu 9.4 8:07 5x 1k at a bit over threshold effort 156 (80%) strava
        Fri 9.4 8:34 2 hawks, 1 scissor-tailed fly catcher, and the XC coach setting up a water stop 149 (76%) strava
        Sat 6.4 8:02 Not sure what this run was for other than testing the new shoes 153 (78%) strava
          55.3 8:08

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen replace ‘drive’ with ‘run and you could probably have coworkers saying they’d want you to work from home. Wedding went well. 30 minute delay due to times being different depending when and where you checked. Sound guy didn’t check the same one. Drive was okay. Apparently letting a fat kid dance and stay up 2 hours past his bedtime helps with traveling.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

I have a week to drop off! What a time to be alive.

Mo 5mi@8:25
            Tu  9.5mi@8:44
            Wed 6mi@8:25
            Thu 4.8mi@8:14
            Fri off (1hr weight training)
            Sa 9.6@8:24, hilly
            Su 7 incl 3@7:15,7:14,6:50
            = 42 for the week

coming back? my 3mi "tempo" on sunday, or whatever it was, was pretty hard. but we're getting there.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

kcam

Excellent weeks, folks.  I'm still just walking for now.  My hip is much, much better and I can actually run but I am holding off until I see my cardiologist (8/12), not sure I can make it that long.  I still have numbness on the skin where I hurt the hip but no more nerve pain going down my leg and in my glute.

22.5 miles walking including a 5K 'racewalk' on the track Sat morning.  It was my club's semiannual 5000 on the track.  In deference to the runners I meant to get out on the track at 7AM to be sure I was done clogging up lane 1 by the time the club started at 8AM.  Set my alarm for 6:45AM and got up and out the door.  When I hit my car I realized it was actually 5:45AM (I had screwed up setting the alarm)!  At that point, it's like what the heck just get out and get 'er done.  Started at 6AM and finished way, way ahead of time.  Race walked 38:51 which is 12:30/mile.  I tell ya what, it's not physically taxing at all as my HR barely got to about 120 at the very end when I went all out but the focus required to maintain a fast walking pace is unbelievable.  A little day-dreaming and your pace falls off by a minute or more just like that.  Very difficult.

As far as the water intake y'all were talking about - I really hate carrying anything with me.  On some very long runs I'll carry a water bottle and drop it off about a quarter of the way out (out and back run) and then pick it up on the way back in for a little fluid intake.  I'm talking 18 or 20 miles here.  Wouldn't bother at all with anything less than that.  If I can catch a water fountain once or twice that's more than enough.  I've run many f 10miles and 13.1 mile races and I NEVER drink any water in those.  My personal feeling is that it slows me down more than it's worth.  Now, I run mostly in NorCal where the weather is almost never super hot and humid like some of you folks deal with so that's a factor.  I suspect if I were racing in some of those places I might need water more often.  For marathons I usually skip the first couple stops and then get water every other stop.  Good enough for me.

Running Problem

Problem Child

kcam locally (Tahoe Rim Trail, about a 90 minute drive) there was an ultra marathon this weekend and one lady literally walked the whole thing and came in a few minutes under 12 hours. She had foot pains. Walking isn't always the worst thing in the world. You could do 34 miles walking. I'm sure the cardiologist would have a problem with it unless the test results come back good.

keen my heartrate was okay today (took water) but at the end I was pushing 170 and I felt horrible. I don't know how I did 180+ for an hour. I did about 3 minute sof 169+ today and quit early.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Brew - Once upon a time I did use Strava to calculate a course I could run to work. It would be about 28 miles, and I'd be on roads for a bit over half of it before getting to a dedicated running/biking trail. Nothing like a nonchalant mini-ultra before work. Too bad the shower facilities at work are sub-par at best.
                  Good that NeRP slept while you drive. This past week my almost-sister-in-law flew to Japan to see her mom with her two sons - ~3 & 14. From when they left until they got there was 21 hours of travel, and the little one didn't sleep at all.

KCam - That is some aggressive walking! Glad the hip is feeling better, and hopefully the checkup with the cardiologist goes well.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Speed Surplus

Wow, kcam, I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to hear you're up and walking at least! Scary stuff.

Will post my cholesterol numbers later. Like some of you, I have high overall numbers but a good "ratio." Also had a doctor tell me that the ratio is what really counts. I don't really have heart disease in my family, but it's still something I worry about a bit.

Oh, wondering where I've been? I quit running and started triathloning, so I exclusively post at TriathloningAhead.com now.

Proof?

Just kidding. I seem to be making a habit of getting tagged in photos just by running at the park down by my house when there's an event going on.

Really, I've been extremely busy, both personally and at work. My brother got married the other week, so I was traveling and doing all kinds of related events.

I've scratched from two 5ks in the past month Big grin but I hope to do another one...eventually.

And I hope to catch up and begin posting regularly here again.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Hey to everyone.

My week:

M: 8 easy + weights

T: 7 with track intervals 12x400@1:33

W: 7 easy

Th: 11 with tempo in the park 2x2mi@7:15

F: 6 easy

S: rd

S: 11 easy

total = 50

Running Problem

Problem Child

I've scratched from two 5ks in the past month Big grin but I hope to do another one...eventually.

And I hope to catch up and begin posting regularly here again.

I see that sub 19 5K really has you scared.  UPenn. I'm impressed. I'm a little surprised at the lack of a bib getting you photographed. I guess the "back bib" isn't only a charity 5K thing. Oh and the 2018 female winner for that ran a 6:15/mi pace. You'd TOTALLY be able to hang with her.

This will be the first weekend I'm home. I'm motivated to sit around instead of do a Saturday morning long (15ish mile) run.

VDOT 53.37 

mattw4jc

Delurking for moment.

@SC - love the photo. Appears as though you're singing. Lemme guess: "I've got sunshine, on a cloudy day... When it's cold outside..."

@Carrying Water discussion - If it's hot, I can make it about 8-10 miles without water. In cooler winter temps, easily 13-15 miles without.

Otherwise I avoid carrying by one or more of the following.

• Running a smaller loop back to the car
                          • Running through a park with bathrooms and fountains
                          • Running past my house
                          • Running past a friend's house who works at a water bottle distribution facility and places a cooler in his driveway filled with cold bottles
                          • Running by the church that has a hose outside and (I think) doesn't mind runners and bikers using it
                          • Running past the fire station that puts out a water cooler and those small cone paper cups

I've also done what kcam described, carry part way and drop somewhere, but that's only if I know my route has none of the above.

So last week started 18 weeks of training for the Charlotte Marathon for which I am registered. My mileage has been decent leading up to this and I hit 60 miles last week. However, I'm much slower these days than I was 2-4 years ago so I'm keeping my optimism in check on what kind of cycle I'm going to have.

I also have the Blue Ridge Relay in September. I'm one of a 12 person mixed masters team. It will be hilly.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

As noted, I often carry, even if there are fountains on my route.  a) those fountains are not reliably on; b) since I race anything 10 miles and up carrying a bottle, I like to be familiar and comfortable with it.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Running Problem

Problem Child

As noted, I often carry, even if there are fountains on my route.  a) those fountains are not reliably on; b) since I race anything 10 miles and up carrying a bottle, I like to be familiar and comfortable with it.

I didn't know you carried a bottle for marathons. Guess you passed me so quickly at CIM I didn't have time to check. Is it a habit, or is it because you have a certain blend of drink you know works for you?

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I didn't know you carried a bottle for marathons. Guess you passed me so quickly at CIM I didn't have time to check. Is it a habit, or is it because you have a certain blend of drink you know works for you?

I only drink water.  But...cups just don't work for me.  I know the pinch and sip technique, but I can't gulp water that quickly - I need to gently sip it.  So...I carry a small handheld and refill it as needed.

This post gives a little more detail about what I carry.  As you can see, it's very small and unobtrusive - probably why many don't notice I'm carrying one.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.