Running going very good! Can I train for a Marathon now? (Read 2095 times)

Jess Causley

I have been writing here before and last time I was proud of myself for the simple fact I was running. I have 4 kids under 7 and 4 busineses and a husband who works 100 hour weeks. I started running when I got post natal depression a bit over a year ago. Then life got in the way and I started running again in February this year.

I know it is not impressive in runner's standards and I know I run slow. But I feel so fast and it is so easy to run now. And thanks to running I am not depressed and am off the antidepressant drugs.

In 4,5 weeks time I am attempting to run a 1/2 marathon and I never though I'd get there. I was running for 3 months almost everyday and I didn't get any better and then all of a sudden I started running better. I cut the time on my long run by 30 minutes one week and another 10 the next.

Any ideas how to keep motivated after the 1/2 marathon? I have dreamt about running a marathon since I was 8 and I really would like to finish one in July next year. Do I need to keep running long runs every week or can I take it easier for a few month and start building the distance 6 months ahead of the race? Is a 1/2 marathon a good enough base to start thinking about a full marathon or do I need to run more first?

My husband and his parents, my only babysitters, can't understand why I would waste a good 2-3 hours on a run when I should be playing with the kids, doing housework, improving the business etc. So I feel very selfish going for a run. The only way of not using babysitters is to run around the backyard when the kids have their afternoon nap. Then noone even has to know I have been for a run.

Anyway, I just wanted to tell someone who understands running how good it is going for me. Most people around me think I am weird for running 23 km and they are not impressed at all, so there is no point in telling anyone. So thank you for listening!!

Selfish?  They need to understand what running has done for your life physically and mentally.  Don't ever feel selfish about trying to do something for yourself.  4 young children along with 4 businesses.  I can't even imagine how hectic your life must be.  It's awesome that you have found an outlet that you enjoy that improves your life. 

Regarding training for a marathon...IMO, you need to get your husband and parents on board with your running and get them to understand what it means to you and how it has helped you.  I ran my first in December and it was a pretty big time committment for 18 weeks of training.  I don't think training for a marathon is something that you can do without your family really knowing.  Before I started my training, I discussed with my wife my schedule so she would understand and not be surprised.  I was also training with a group though and we met a couple days a week for group workouts.  She had no problem with it.  In fact, I inspired both her and my sister to start running and they trained with a group and ran their first HM two months ago.  Maybe running is something you can get your husband into.  Try and get him to do some running with you.  Put the kids on their bikes or strollers (not sure of the ages) and get out as a family a couple nights a week and exercise.  Is this something that's possible?  Would your husband even consider running with you?  Regardless, keep at it and explain to your loved ones what running means and does for your well-being.  This is something they should understand.  

Jess Causley

thanks for that. Yes, I guess you are right, I shouldn't keep running a "secret", I should let them all know how happy it makes me and ask them nicely if they'd support me training for a Marathon.

We live in th bush and can't go running at night time. And only two kids can ride bikes. I often take the 6 and 7 year olds with me on their bikes for my easy runs. And I will not get the husband running. I used to be a runner when we met and I have tried to get him running for 15 years.

A Saucy Wench

To the more specific question In the time after your half marathon until 4 months before your marathon instead of thinking about the long run, think about the other runs more.  Run a long run of 8-10 miles most weeks, but dont sweat if some weeks it is only 6.  If you have a week with more time maybe you go 12...but look at getting more out of your midweek runs and be moreconsistent if you can. 

Right now your weekly mileage is all over the map and overall on the low side for marathon training.  Dont think so much about one specific run and just overall try to get consistent. and try to slowly ramp your overall miles, not the long run.  

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I understand the selfish feeling.  My wife has many of the same feelings.  I try and help to not feel selfish but in the end it must be her motherly instincts. 

Just right it all out and communicate it to all the adult famlly members so they can understand or at least accept your running.  I know I am a much better person when I am running.  Keep at it and help the peices of your life fall into the right place.  Run on my friend!

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas"  Davy Crockett

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Selfish?  They need to understand what running has done for your life physically and mentally.  Don't ever feel selfish about trying to do something for yourself.  4 young children along with 4 businesses.  I can't even imagine how hectic your life must be.  It's awesome that you have found an outlet that you enjoy that improves your life. 

+1

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Jess Causley

Yes, I guess it is normal for us mums to feel selfish for running. The funny thing is that my kids love it when I run. Even my 3 year old asks how many km I did and if I felt fast. I soppose they know they will have a happier mum when I have been for a run.

Stranger than you know

Yes, I guess it is normal for us mums to feel selfish for running. The funny thing is that my kids love it when I run. Even my 3 year old asks how many km I did and if I felt fast. I suppose they know they will have a happier mum when I have been for a run.

Well said. Time spent on your happiness is time spent on the happiness of your family Smile Running lets you unwind and restore energy at the same time.

I started running to combat depression too ... while it hasn't been a 100% solution, it certainly helps.

Dont worry, your mileage is definitely impressive for someone with such a short running 'career' and so many other responsibilities! I can hardly keep up and I am a single guy working half time! I have yet to do a 23 km run (but ask me again on sunday Big grin).

If you like running,  your kids like you running, and your husband doesn't mind having a wife with nice shapely legs, I see no downside Wink.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

1. Don't feel guilty about running.  You need to run.
                    2. Don't let others make you feel guilty.  Don't apologize, but try to help them to understand why it's so important to you.  If they can watch your HM, that should help.  They'll see a lot of people who think running is important.
                    3. Having said #1 & 2, try to work with your husband and in-laws so that you're there when they need you.  In my case, changing to an early-to-bed, early-to-rise person helps to avoid the "running widow" syndrome.  I don't know if that will work for you.
                    4. You mention cutting the time on your long run a couple of times.  That worries me that the guilt thing is pushing you to run faster, but what you need is the time on your feet, not more speed so you hurry home to do more chores.
                    5. While the marathon goal is admirable, you might be setting yourself for unnecessary frustration if you choose a specific race right now.  You're better off concentrating on working running into your life; then, when you find yourself running, say, eight hours per week, week after week, you'll know that running a marathon is something you can do.

I'm a little under the gun time-wise, but I read the first paragraph of your post. I'm impressed and wish you all success. 

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

ymmv

Show them this

I'm a little under the gun time-wise, but I read the first paragraph of your post. I'm impressed and wish you all success. 

Good effort, Nader. 

"Because in the end, you won't remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn.  Climb that goddamn mountain."

Jack Kerouac

Jess Causley

Thanks for all advice.

When I started running everyone was really supportive as they noticed how much happier I got. But now they have all forgotten that I was depressed.

My husband does hardly anything for himself, he works 14 hour days,so it is a bit unfair that I run an hour a day. Imagine if he went to the pub everyday, I wouldn't be too impressed and I guess this is almost the same. But at least he gets to go to work, I mainly work from home while looking after the kids.

Good idea to bring husband along to watch the HM, to see there are more people like me. And yes, he is not complaining about my "hot runner's body". Hahaha!

The problem is that I have to run at daytime. We live in the bush with no street lights and there are so many kangaroos. (I am Swedish and living in Australia).

Yes, a marathon might be pushing it, I should perhaps run a few years just for the sake of running. A marathon is a very long way and even training for the HM I get frustrated when I can't run everyday.

Jess Causley

by the way, does 2.20-2.30 seem an OK goal time for my first 1/2M. Am I going to be in last place and are people going to laugh at me? I wanted to run it in 2 hours, but realise that is never going to happen.

by the way, does 2.20-2.30 seem an OK goal time for my first 1/2M. Am I going to be in last place and are people going to laugh at me? I wanted to run it in 2 hours, but realise that is never going to happen.

That certainly won't be last in any decent sized field, and in any case people are generally very supportive for all participant irrespective of their time.

For your first HM I would pick a pace that you're pretty confident you can maintain and stick with it. If you feel you can speed up in the last few miles then go for it.  It's very hard to know exactly what you're capable of on your first one, you have to take a guess from your training runs. But once you've done one then you have a target to aim at next time!