Planning to train for marathon (Read 131 times)

zzwerling

Hello all,

I am planning to train for marathon. I worry that the runs will get long and I will struggle. Any words of advice to help me finish those 26.2 miles? I am quite an avid runner, I run track and I have run multiple 5k/10k races. I plan to use Higdon's novice supreme plan. Some feedback? I start tommorrow.

Date of Week Start WEEK MON TUE WED THU FRI SAT SUN
    23-Mar 1 Rest 1.5 m run 3 m run 1.5 m run Rest 3 m run 30 min walk
    30-Mar 2 Rest 1.5 m run 3 m run 1.5 m run Rest 3.5 m run 35 min walk
    6-Apr 3 Rest 1.5 m run 3 m run 1.5 m run Rest Rest 4 Mile Race
    13-Apr 4 Rest 2 m run 3 m run 1.5 m run Rest 4 m run 30 min walk
    20-Apr 5 Rest 2 m run 3 m run 2 m run Rest 3 m run 45 min walk
    27-Apr 6 Rest 2 m run 3 m run 2 m run Rest 4.5 m run 30 min walk
    4-May 7 Rest 2 m run 3 m run 2 m run Rest 3 m run 50 min walk
    11-May 8 Rest 2 m run 3 m run 2 m run Rest 5 m run 30 min walk
    18-May 9 Rest 2 m run 3 m run 2.5 m run Rest 3 m run 55 min walk
    25-May 10 Rest 2 m run 3 m run 2.5 m run Rest 5.5 m run 30 min walk
    1-Jun 11 Rest 3 m run 3 m run 3 m run Rest 3 m run 60 min walk
    8-Jun 12 Rest 3 m run 3 m run 3 m run Rest 6 m run 30 min walk
    15-Jun 13 Rest 3 m run 3 m run 3 m run Rest Rest 10-K Race
    22-Jun 14 Rest 3 m run 3 m run 3 m run Rest 7 m run Cross
    29-Jun 15 Rest 3 m run 4 m run 3 m run Rest 5 m run Cross
    6-Jul 16 Rest 3 m run 4 m run 3 m run Rest 9 m run Cross
    13-Jul 17 Rest 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 10 m run Cross
    20-Jul 18 Rest 3 m run 5 m run 3 m run Rest 7 m run Cross
    27-Jul 19 Rest 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 12 m run Cross
    3-Aug 20 Rest 3 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 13 m run Cross
    10-Aug 21 Rest 3 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 10 m run Cross
    17-Aug 22 Rest 3 m run 7 m run 4 m run Rest 15 m run Cross
    24-Aug 23 Rest 4 m run 8 m run 4 m run Rest 16 m run Cross
    31-Aug 24 Rest 4 m run 8 m run 5 m run Rest 12 m run Cross
    7-Sep 25 Rest 4 m run 9 m run 5 m run Rest 18 m run Cross
    14-Sep 26 Rest 5 m run 9 m run 5 m run Rest 14 m run Cross
    21-Sep 27 Rest 5 m run 10 m run 5 m run Rest 20 m run Cross
    28-Sep 28 Rest 5 m run 8 m run 4 m run Rest 12 m run Cross
    5-Oct 29 Rest 4 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest Rest Half-Marathon
    12-Oct 30 Rest 5 m run 8 m run 4 m run Rest 8 m run Cross
    19-Oct 31 Rest 4 m run 6 m run 3 m run Rest 8 m run Cross
    26-Oct 32 Rest 3 m run 4 m run 2 m run Rest Rest Marathon

Thanks,

zzwerling

32 weeks is too long to keep focus, I'd break it up into two cycles, maybe a 12 week half plan, take a week or two off, then start a 18 week marathon plan based on the result from that half.

GinnyinPA

What kind of mileage are you currently running?  Is this plan a cut back or a continuation of your current level of training?

Do you really think you can follow a plan for 8 months?  That's a really long time to stay focused on one race.

zzwerling

I had recently stopped for about a month or so after some mental running disappointments. I am ready to get back on track. I was currently running 3 miles during the week, and 4-5 on sunday

Christirei

I don't want to sound harsh, but with your current low mileage and your upcoming very low mileage marathon plan, it might be better to step back and focus on just running more this year, set a goal half marathon instead and look forward to having a better marathon experience in the next two years or so. I'm sure you could finish a marathon based on this plan, but the mileage is so low and the build up so long, I think you will get bored quickly and if you do make it to race day will be disappointed in the experience.

DigDug2

I don't want to sound harsh, but with your current low mileage and your upcoming very low mileage marathon plan, it might be better to step back and focus on just running more this year, set a goal half marathon instead and look forward to having a better marathon experience in the next two years or so. I'm sure you could finish a marathon based on this plan, but the mileage is so low and the build up so long, I think you will get bored quickly and if you do make it to race day will be disappointed in the experience.

+1 to everything Christirei said.  After 12 weeks, this plan only has you doing 15 mpw; at 20, it's still only 25 mpw.  This is not a good recipe for an enjoyable, successful first marathon.  I think training for a half marathon (or two) is a great goal and will get you used to running more mileage and training for a longer race.  Then, when running 25-30 mpw is no longer a big deal, start a marathon training plan.

hectortrojan

I had recently stopped for about a month or so after some mental running disappointments. I am ready to get back on track. I was currently running 3 miles during the week, and 4-5 on sunday

You have 32 weeks. Why not build base first? Just focus on 1-2 weeks at a time and see how things go.

As others said, your base is low and most people who train for marathon have bigger base. But if you really want to run marathon in 32 weeks, its not that hard.

Increase your weekly mileage a bit - no more than 10%. If it is not feeling comfortable, do the same next week. When if feels comfortable, increase your mileage for next week again - no more than 10%.

It a good idea to add one more day than adding mileage per day if your schedule allows. The more # of runs/week, its better.

RunNow

Then, when running 25-30 mpw is no longer a big deal, start a marathon training plan.

Agreed. Some of Higdon plans are decent for experienced runners but his novice things are really pretty bad. Unless your just looking to be another one of those people to just check a marathon off a bucket list, actually do real training for it. Your milage should be at least 25-30 a week for several weeks before beginning a buildup plan.

I have a different take.

But yes, your runs will get long, and yes, you will struggle. So, no need to worry about it any more!  Accept it as fact, and run along.

Higdon's plans, and this plan, should get a determined person to the finish line.  I believe this to be true.  On the more snooty side, though, I am going to say, you should train to run a marathon in 4 hours or less, and if you don't think that is possible, you should wait until you think that is possible.  I understand that is not the prevailing opinion, but I think it is one which will lead to greater satisfaction with running.

Lastly, I will agree with everyone else that running plan you have presented is pretty light on the miles

RunNow

I am going to say, you should train to run a marathon in 4 hours or less, and if you don't think that is possible, you should wait until you think that is possible.  I understand that is not the prevailing opinion, but I think it is one which will lead to greater satisfaction with running.

A time that would lead to "greater satisfaction with running" really depends on the OP's age, gender and experience. There's nothing magical about 4 hours or less.

hectortrojan

I understand that is not the prevailing opinion, but I think it is one which will lead to greater satisfaction with running. 

Lets focus on OP's original question.

He is asking about training for marathon in 32 weeks. Lets try to help OP to achieve his goal.