Another *basic* shoe question! (Read 766 times)

JakeKnight

A simple question: when it's new shoe time, do you go to the running store and trust the experts to recommend a shoe? Or - if you have a shoe you like - do you always stick with that shoe? I'm currently running on Nike Pegasus and Asic Gel Cumulus. The Asic's are my favorite - and I'm tempted to just keep buying them. Is that smart? Or should I keep looking for better, or lighter, (or cheaper?) Or whatever? (Sidenote: I have this exact problem at my favorite Italian place. I always order the Zita alla Pavarotti. Shrimp on ziti in a spicy cream sauce. It's awesome. But every time I go there, I wonder ... do I go with what I love, or do I try something new - and maybe find something better. And look ... I made a metaphor. :rollSmile

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
    -----------------------------

You'll ruin your knees!

If the shoe works for you AND they are still making the same model without "modifications", stick with it. IF you are listening to the staff at the running store, make sure it is a RUNNING store and not a general sporting goods store that sells running shoes! They can guid you, but I would put a lot of weight in what is already working for you. If they have changed your shoe model, the experts at the RUNNING store can give you a good idea of what other models are most similar to the one you like. For the record, I have 3 pairs of shoes still in the boxes (seven "active" pairs). When my shoes go on sale, if I don't have any in reserve, I will buy multiple pair to make sure I don't run out of my favorite models. Good luck, Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Prophet!

i mentioned this somewhere else before but i listened to a good running store's (bad) staff and he recommended a shoes that I found later through my own research and actually looking at my own feet, that's completely wrong for me...two severe ankle sprains later and months of recovery i gave those shoes away and went back to my old Asics 1080...then I bought the Asics Cumulus and am lovin it...is anybody wearing the Nimbus...i'm thinking about trying that one next...
          All this talk has made me put "SHOES!" on my to-do list. When I get home, I'm checking out the model of my shoe and seeing if I can order another pair from somewhere. I'd like to have two pair in rotation, for those days when I go running in the rain and such.
          Wingz

Professional Noob

I second the idea that bad staff at a specialty running store can make your visit worse than unproductive!!! Wherever you buy shoes you have to remember that you're the one who's going to end up logging hundreds of miles in these things, and if they don't fit right either you're going to hurt for hundreds of miles or you're going to have to exchange them... perhaps several times... until you get something that fits and works for you! ARGH! Need I say more? Roll eyes

Roads were made for journeys...

I used to run in the same kind of shoe each day (Asics Kayanos, well-cushioned for mild over-pronators), but now go every other day with a more neutral shoe (Saucony Grid Trigon Ride). I was told by a couple of long-time runners that switching the type of shoe will cause slight differences in muscle/tendon/ligament use and can help prevent overuse injuries. I don't know if that's true, but I've avoided injuries so far. Any other opinions?
              JakeKnight

I used to run in the same kind of shoe each day (Asics Kayanos, well-cushioned for mild over-pronators), but now go every other day with a more neutral shoe (Saucony Grid Trigon Ride). I was told by a couple of long-time runners that switching the type of shoe will cause slight differences in muscle/tendon/ligament use and can help prevent overuse injuries. I don't know if that's true, but I've avoided injuries so far. Any other opinions?
                Interesting. I do rotate shoes pretty much every day - but only because I've heard that (supposedly) it'll make your shoes last longer, because they have more time to re-expand (is that a word?) to their normal shape, after being pounded on for a few miles. And I do have two different kinds of shoes. Maybe I should stick with that idea. I just wonder if it's ever worth it to try new shoes once you find something that works. Part of me says no. Part of me wonders if there isn't an uber-shoe out there somewhere that will shave half an hour off my marathon time. And then there's part of me that wonders if I just drink too, much. Tongue

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
                -----------------------------

I have a serious running shoe fetish. I pour over new shoes in stores and running magazines looking for the ultimate, perfect shoe. So I tend to try different types of shoes when the old ones need retiring. I recently bought a lighter pair of training shoes to "race" in and do faster training runs. But they're only a few ounces different from my usual trainers, so I think the boost is psychological. If I cut my brew and junk food intake and lost 5 pounds, I'd probably run faster than with lighter shoes.