Hello everyone! I need help(IT Band issue) (Read 725 times)

Yeah, I tried to avoid coming over here. Not because I don't enjoy you guys' company(because I do) but in an effort to spend less time on the computer wasting my life away. But........... well I need you guys too much, and well here I am.

So those of you that read my RR on the Route 66 HM, I injured my IT band running down a hill WAAAAY too fast, then made it 10 times worse by finishing the race(6 miles).

So I took a full week off, and then started running again. For the first week, I could go around 2 without pain, and now I'm at 3. I run "to the pain" but once I feel pain, I stop and walk. But I'm wondering if I'm delaying my recovery by running at all?? I know for a fact that running through IT Band pain is a big no no, but most say that running up to the point where you feel pain is ok.

So would you continue to run "to the pain" or take a few weeks off completely?

I really don't have any big races for the next few months, but I'm concerned that if I take a month off, I'll lose a lot of my run fitness.

#artbydmcbride

Do you ever read those 'running' magazines?  They always have these articles about elite runners who get an injury.  It seems like all of the time, while they wait for the strain and inflammation to heal, they mix it up with pool running, elliptical etc. so that they don't lose fitness.  Crazy, huh!?  Big grin 

Runners run

sugnim

Yay!  Julebag!

Listen to your own body & instincts.  If it were me, and it was not healing with plenty of stretching, ice, tart cherry juice, and epsom salt baths, I'd take some time off of running & do other things for a while.

Where's the pain? Hip or side of your knee?

Last Wednesday my right IT band started hurting. It got worse as the day went on. I woke up Thursday and limped all day at work. When I got home, I massaged the hell out of my outer quads. The muscles was so tight that I could see it buldging out about 6 inches above my knee. After some very painful massage, the tight muscle released and my pain went away immediately.

I'm trying my best to stay healthy for my upcoming marathon by stretching and massaging my legs everyday. However, I neglected my IT bands and I think that's why I had the IT issue. Now, I stretch and massage my hips and quads everyday and it's is holding up.

This is my 3rd attempt at the marathon. I got injured the last 2 attempts. I just need to stay healthy for a few more weeks.

aponi

never runs the tangents

I don't have anything useful to add. Thankfully this is the one injury I haven't had...yet. I just wanted to say hello there old bean, sorry about the injury.

“Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan!” Doctor Who

alex-o

Yeah, I tried to avoid coming over here. Not because I don't enjoy you guys' company(because I do) but in an effort to spend less time on the computer wasting my life away. But........... well I need you guys too much, and well here I am.

So those of you that read my RR on the Route 66 HM, I injured my IT band running down a hill WAAAAY too fast, then made it 10 times worse by finishing the race(6 miles).

So I took a full week off, and then started running again. For the first week, I could go around 2 without pain, and now I'm at 3. I run "to the pain" but once I feel pain, I stop and walk. But I'm wondering if I'm delaying my recovery by running at all?? I know for a fact that running through IT Band pain is a big no no, but most say that running up to the point where you feel pain is ok.

So would you continue to run "to the pain" or take a few weeks off completely?

I really don't have any big races for the next few months, but I'm concerned that if I take a month off, I'll lose a lot of my run fitness.

Have you tried ART or Graston?  I don't know what others experiences are like, but this stuff has been a miracle for me no matter what type of running injury it is.  Worth checking out in my opinion.

Jeff F

Free Beer

So you took some time off from running, but did you determine the root cause of your issue.  It appears you have not.  I am not an expert but when I have had ITB issues it wascaused by a variety of issues; a muscle imbalance, tight hips, tight hamstrings, etc.  Until you deal with the root cause which may require a combination of solutions such as rolling your legs and hips, stretching, and strengthening you are not going to achieve a full recovery.

Find a good trainer or massage therapist they might be able to help you solve your problem; that is what I did.

JML

Have you tried ART or Graston?  I don't know what others experiences are like, but this stuff has been a miracle for me no matter what type of running injury it is.  Worth checking out in my opinion.

+1 on ART.  I had ITB problems a few years ago and found an ART practitioner who was able to dig out the knots and help it to get better.  Be advised that ART is not what I would call a pleasant experience but the results are worth it.  After a couple of ART sessions, I learned the fine art of foam rolling to keep my ITB issue at bay.   

FWIW - you probably need to take some time off and deal with the problem through massage / stretching etc or else it may turn into a chronic condition.

Good Luck.

Rebuilding my aerobic base....racing next year.....nothing to see here....move along now.

Look into the meaning of this word.  

Pilates

You tube all exercises  dealing with core down to  toes....Then work it!  Even when your healthy!!

I had IT band issues last year after my first marathon.  I'm another fan of ART.  I went to several sessions over about a 6 week period.  After the ART sessions, combined with stretching and strengthening exercises of hips/glutes at home, I had no more problems.  I was also able to continue running my usual mileage through treatment (though my pain was never during runs, always after).

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

tomatolover

My IT band is my "achilles"...the first thing that goes to shit when everything goes to shit and it's put me out of running for 2-3 months before

Somethings I've found that help:

1. core work : for real- more than anything, this helps to stabilize all the stuff that's going on in your hips that's causing the flare.  PT gave me several core workouts to do, none of which involve "crunches" (which always seem it irritate my neck)

2. graston- my pt does it, but i've taken to grastoning myself with cocoa butter & a  butter knife along the band...looks funny -is funny- but it works

cookiemonster

Connoisseur of Cookies

What makes you think it's your IT bands?

As with any injury, taking time off is important to the healing process.  As with any injury, identifying the cause and working to correct the issues are important.  Rest, then gradual stretching, strengthening and return to activity is what's going to work.

Find a good PT or massage therapist.  Work on improving your strength and flexibility.

Hope you feel better.

***************************************************************************************

"C" is for cookie.  That's good enough for me.

Work on your glutes.  Underlying glute weakness or lack of/improper recruitment is the most common cause of ITB/TFL issues. 

Shakedown Street

I would go talk to an ortho.

Started-5/12, RWOL refugee,5k-24:23 (1/12/13),10K-55:37(9/15/12),HM-1:52:59(3/24/13)

DavidLamoureux

I had really bad IT band issues in the past.  The obvious answer is lots of rest but I can't stand that.  The best thing for me to be able to keep running was a it band strap.  It works right away.  As always ice and motrin helps too. 

http://www.cho-pat.com/products/itbandstrap.php