Anterior Ankle Impingement - Anybody?? (Read 49 times)

It's the closest thing that I can figure for what happened to me yesterday and I'm wondering if anyone has dealt with this.

I was laying on my stomach for about 10 min reading, had my toes pointed down at a 90 degree angle for a few minutes, then laid my fleet "flat." Something I've done, I don't know, hundreds of times in my life (?).  Got up after about 10 min, walked into the kitchen and my ankle started to feel tight, like it needed to pop.  Even commented to my husband that it felt weird.  Fast forward about 4 hrs and the soft spot in the front of my ankle bone is slightly swollen, it feels like someone is tightening a noose around my ankle, it hurts up the side of my calf, I can't put any weight on my foot, and I'm shaking and near tears from the pain.  One of the worst pains I have ever experienced.  Seriously considered going to the ER because I just knew my foot was going to fall off from restricted blood flow or something. I couldn't even have my foot under the blankets in bed.  Elevated, iced, ibu'd, and my husband convinced me to take half a Percocet (have a few left from a hamstring surgery 1 1/2 yrs ago) which, after an hour alleviated some of the pain - at least enough so I could get somewhat comfortable in bed.

Today it's MUCH better.  It's not near 100%, but at least it doesn't feel like I could possibly lose my foot. It's still slightly swollen and is painful to walk down stairs or up or down an incline (our driveway is at incline), but I can walk fairly normally on flat.

Am I exaggerating? No.  I have a pretty high pain tolerance.  Did I do anything to cause this? No.  I merely was laying on my stomach with  my feet at 90-degree angle. I told my husband over and over, "I don't understand, I didn't do anything!"  All I can figure is somehow, some way, something got pinched with my foot in that 90-degree position and it didn't bother me until I started putting weight on it.

If anyone else has gone through something like this, I'd sure like to hear about it because I am completely stumped.  I could try to get into an orthopedist, but it'd take 6-8 weeks.  If it doesn't clear up after a few days, I might try to get into my PT.

From my darling husband, "You sure do have weird things happen to you."  True tat, babe, true dat.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SMART Approach

Definitely use your H-Wave on LOW as much as you can as movement and active recovery is the best way to speed up the process and reduce swelling and congestion. I have had something like this happen to me where sore for an hour or two but then resolves pretty quickly. You  likely pinched a tendon, perhaps tendon got slightly off track or being in that position overstretched for a lengthy time overstressed your muscle/tendon attachment so you created some minor damage so your body responded with an inflammatory response sending in troops and fluid to start the healing response. There may have been a nerve involved as well. In these scenarios you are looking for progress within 1-3 days as your body does what it does....it has an amazing ability to heal. Your body has done a good job thus far.  I think you are on right track and likely you will be good to go in 3-7 days. If not, then get it checked out.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Thanks, Chuck.  At the time, all I could think was "Holy Mother of **&%$!!"  Yesterday it was better, so far today it's even more improvement.

Aging is not for sissies . . .

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

SMART Approach

Awesome. You will be good to go soon. As you know and we all know that tweaks, soreness, pain, surprises can be scary for many reasons with a big one being we get worried we can't get back to exercising.  Those first 3 days after tell us a lot.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

kilkee

runktrun

I have definitely done weird stuff like this, hobbled around for a day after bending my  knee wrong sitting or something stupid.

I would add to gently distract your foot - sit in chair with feet on ground, pick up and cross bad foot over your opposite knee so that foot hangs off a bit, and using both hands (one at heel and one at top of foot in front of ankle, but not ON the hot spot) gently push your foot away from your ankle.  This will help open up joint spaces and get better blood/fluid flow.  It should not hurt and you really shouldn't perceive much movement.  Stop if it hurts.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.