Product Idea (Read 183 times)

BreezeBlue

I'm new to this forum and I'm just looking for some feedback on a possible idea of mine.  I'm currently a bussiness major in college and I was thinking of creating a product that is essentially disposable water pouches that are only a couple of fl. oz.  I thought of this idea on a run once and when running long distance there's only a couple of options if one wants to drink water: to carry a camel backpack, carry a water bottle, or suffer through a long run until it's over.  I'm sure there's more ways, but every way is inconvenient and me personally hate carrying around anything when I run.  That's why the running pouches would be very small that one could put in their pocket and not feel like they're carrying anything, and it will have just enough water to quench there thirst and allow them to push through long runs.  It would be disposable so you just stop for a second, tear it open and drink and then throw it away or put it back in your pocket.  I know small disposable water pouches already exist, however they're only marketed as survival rations and so there's no product in the running market as of now.  If I have a need for this I'm sure others do too, I'm just looking to get feedback on this idea.  So below I created a poll to see what the demand for something like this is and any feedback is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

running metalhead

http://www.fitnessdigital.nl/powerbar-powergel-hydro-24x70ml-sinaasappel/p/10005903/?ct=99&gclid=CjwKEAjwv8iwBRC35-_e8aPqwCESJAB8khP9b_Mvd9bKwlQC25pn_fzRGsthQq-ky0Cy4W9IfBP4eBoCI87w_wcB

Anyway, I don't even bother carrying water for anything shorter than 40K. Why?

Unless you live in a very hot zone it's not strictly necessary. They science behind the whole hydration is old and based on studies made on threatmills, thus exagerating the loss of fluids. And to make matters worse it seems that our body is quite able to cope with less fluid blood serum.

Do you know what would be a great idea? 

Something like that but made of a piece of plastic or paper and that you could use to carry a gel or two and an eventual plastic pncho for the rain and just toss away when used: 

http://www.bigsales88.com/shop/image/cache/data/Fitness_Equipment/SP-06-680x520.jpg

It could be made of corn based plastic and thus be biodegradable. and instead of wearing it around your waste it could be worn over your shoulders. 

I would love to have such thing during a marathon. For the trails and trainings, either nothing or my camelback where I can put much more than just the bladder with water (If I carry such).

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
      - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
      - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
      - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
      - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
      - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

BreezeBlue

http://www.fitnessdigital.nl/powerbar-powergel-hydro-24x70ml-sinaasappel/p/10005903/?ct=99&gclid=CjwKEAjwv8iwBRC35-_e8aPqwCESJAB8khP9b_Mvd9bKwlQC25pn_fzRGsthQq-ky0Cy4W9IfBP4eBoCI87w_wcB

Anyway, I don't even bother carrying water for anything shorter than 40K. Why?

Unless you live in a very hot zone it's not strictly necessary. They science behind the whole hydration is old and based on studies made on threatmills, thus exagerating the loss of fluids. And to make matters worse it seems that our body is quite able to cope with less fluid blood serum.

Do you know what would be a great idea? 

Something like that but made of a piece of plastic or paper and that you could use to carry a gel or two and an eventual plastic pncho for the rain and just toss away when used: 

http://www.bigsales88.com/shop/image/cache/data/Fitness_Equipment/SP-06-680x520.jpg

It could be made of corn based plastic and thus be biodegradable. and instead of wearing it around your waste it could be worn over your shoulders. 

I would love to have such thing during a marathon. For the trails and trainings, either nothing or my camelback where I can put much more than just the bladder with water (If I carry such).

Can you elaborate on what you think is a good idea that you would buy?  And do you think it's relevant to other competitive and recreational runners?

Hoban-Jay

A couple of ounces is utterly useless.  Either it's a short run and you need no water, or it's a long run and you need to carry 12-16 ounces or so...   If you've done any running at all, you would know that.

kcam

A couple of ounces is utterly useless.  Either it's a short run and you need no water, or it's a long run and you need to carry 12-16 ounces or so...   If you've done any running at all, you would know that.

... or it's a long run and you don't need to carry ANY water.  If you'd done any running you'd know that.

Long run with no bottle or pack? I guess that depends on one's definition of long.  That's what she said...

Half Fanatic #846

I like corn, but anything carried around my waste I probably wouldn't drink...

"I don't always roll a joint, but when I do, it's usually my ankle" - unk.         "Frankly autocorrect, I'm getting a bit tired of your shirt".                  I ran half my last race on my left foot!                                  

Hoban-Jay

... or it's a long run and you don't need to carry ANY water.  If you'd done any running you'd know that.

Most people aren't camels...or Rarámuri/Tarahumara and do WANT if not need water on a long run.

My daughter is a camel. In fact, I'll be at Connecticut College for family weekend on Friday.

Anyhoo, the poll appears to be a landslide.

Runners run

I am looking for a product that could do the following:

1. Allow me to run forever injury free
                      2. Make me 70% faster 
                      3. Reduce my calorie intake requirements by 90% during long runs/races (>20 miles)
                      4. Reduce my water intake requirements by 50%
                      5. Make me impervious to heat exhaustion

I could be convinced to settle lower on the percentages.  How quickly can you develop this product?

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I am looking for a product that could do the following:

1. Allow me to run forever injury free
                        2. Make me 70% faster 
                        3. Reduce my calorie intake requirements by 90% during long runs/races (>20 miles)
                        4. Reduce my water intake requirements by 50%
                        5. Make me impervious to heat exhaustion

I could be convinced to settle lower on the percentages.  How quickly can you develop this product?

I'd kill for  #1.

steph