Runner dies taking ibuprofen + supplements (Read 656 times)

sugnim

For those who have questions about what is and isn't an NSAID: NSAID stands for Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug.  So, basically all of your over-the counter pain pills will fall into this category.  Some people (especially those with a history of GI or liver troubles) are pretty sensitive to them.  If you have questions about whether you should be using these or how much you should take and when, you should probably check with a doctor.

For those who have questions about what is and isn't an NSAID: NSAID stands for Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drug.  So, basically all of your over-the counter pain pills will fall into this category.  Some people (especially those with a history of GI or liver troubles) are pretty sensitive to them.  If you have questions about whether you should be using these or how much you should take and when, you should probably check with a doctor.

Tylenol (Acetaminophen) is not an NSAID, but has it's own set of risks. My layman's understanding is that NSAIDs are more often associated with kidney failure and Acetaminophen with liver failure.

Runners run

Can't believe that someone can argue along the lines of  "I have been using some substance for years and it has not yet killed me so its safe for everyone, don't believe all the warnings as every product has side effects". with a straight face.

My grandfather drank a pot of Palm wine (over a gallon as a rough conversion, a couple of glasses would get me drunk) and smoked 4-5 packs a day of unfiltered cigarettes for 40 years, yet died after he quit both those activities (he quit because of diabetes). Should he have not quit and we promote the use of that wine and smoking as healthy activities everyone can follow and it's the diabetes and the medications for diabetes that caused his death?

Do the two nots cancel each other out in that sentence?  At any rate, I had nothing to add to the conversation that had not already been said.  I am pretty good at what I do for a living, but that has nothing to do with medical science, so I am willing to give Trent the benefit of the doubt that he is good at what he does for a living.  I could be wrong.

No, the two nots do not cancel in this case. I could draw a Venn diagram to illustrate, but I won't--and not just because it's Monday.

Trent may very well be good at what he does for a living. But I have participated in some really idiotic adventures with and because of Trent. So being good at whatever it is he does for a living and being an idiot are not mutually exclusive.

Runners run

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

That Trent is an idiot does not preclude those from following Trent's lead from being bigger idiots.

That Trent is an idiot does not preclude those from following Trent's lead from being bigger idiots.

Agreed but don't the two froms cancel each other out in this sentence?

Runners run

Why is it sideways?

It's possible to be confused by this thread and not be an idiot.

DaBurger

does P=NP?

Know thyself.

Joann Y

What a mistaken bad rap for motrin that "YOU" all are jumping on.  No where in the actual report does the corner say the ifoprofin (motrin) was the major contributing factor in his death.  It's the last thing he listed out of something like 8 factors.

"Cause of death was contributed to by an "idiosyncratic reaction" to hyperthermia, dehydration, endurance exertion, hyperosmolar sports supplements and ibuprofen, she said"

I'll continue to use my Motrin, recommended and approved by my DR as needed and not only as needed, but in advance of activities that I believe will require it.

The cause of death here is "bowel ischaemia and a gastro-intestinal haemorrhage" (aka dead bowel). There are 5 contributing factors listed here (dehydration, ibuprofen, supplements, exertion, hyperthermia). Having seen plenty of dead bowel with my own two eyes, I can tell you that there is no way of differentiating which factor contributed most to the dead bowel. We can say, however, that ibuprofen and supplements, in the context of running, are two more easily controlled variables in the equation and the reason for putting the attention on ibuprofen.

In general, I think the fact that there is such a long list of effects associated with any medical intervention (or surgical for that matter), and these effects can be reasonably hard to keep track of (good or bad), should be all the more reason to be hesitant to put anything into one's body (or undergo any kind of surgical procedure) unless you know what it is and have a very good indication for doing it. Like a medical indication from a well-trained reasonable medical doctor, for example. If your DR recommended it for you, go for it, but I believe we are discussing being cautious when combining running and ibuprofen in general, and I think being cautious with "medicine" is a wise thing.

The cause of death here is "bowel ischaemia and a gastro-intestinal haemorrhage" (aka dead bowel). There are 5 contributing factors listed here (dehydration, ibuprofen, supplements, exertion, hyperthermia). Having seen plenty of dead bowel with my own two eyes, I can tell you that there is no way of differentiating which factor contributed most to the dead bowel. We can say, however, that ibuprofen and supplements, in the context of running, are two more easily controlled variables in the equation and the reason for putting the attention on ibuprofen.

In general, I think the fact that there is such a long list of effects associated with any medical intervention (or surgical for that matter), and these effects can be reasonably hard to keep track of (good or bad), should be all the more reason to be hesitant to put anything into one's body (or undergo any kind of surgical procedure) unless you know what it is and have a very good indication for doing it. Like a medical indication from a well-trained reasonable medical doctor, for example. If your DR recommended it for you, go for it, but I believe we are discussing being cautious when combining running and ibuprofen in general, and I think being cautious with "medicine" is a wise thing.

Thank you for your post and clarifying what was not stated earlier.  (I didn't look back at the posts)..

I like how you described the things that we can control within the equation.

My 20 year old son is very active, and is a NSAID user due to 'arthritis type' condition that causes limited joint movement and severe pain (he has periostosis and clubbing).  He's been on high doses of NSAID's for the past 18+ years.

He runs.  He swims.  He plays baseball / basketball / volleyball / etc daily.  He's not an endurance athlete, but has run 5k's, 10k's, sprint triathlons, and a 15km race.  He has no aspiration to be an endurance athlete, but will be active throughout his life.

He takes NSAIDs on DR's orders, but limits it as much as he can based on specific pain and painful days.

He goes to the DR to have blood tests frequently due to his medication.

It's troubling to see such 'quick posts' by some people.  Oftentimes, it's the part that's not said within their thoughts that has more value than what is said through their quick post.  Thank you for your thoughtful post.
                      Cheers,
                      Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

It's possible to be confused by this thread and not be an idiot.

"MAYBE"

L Train

does P=NP?

If either P or N or both = 1.

Helpful

and also if P =0

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

All medicines (Regulated) have more positives vs negatives and despite what we believe in their regulation it doesn't come easy.

I disagree with the above statement. While I do not have a Dr. before my name, all drugs are chemicals (naturally derived or man made) designed to manage a "problem." The liver, kidneys, and other organs did not evolve along side these modern drugs. While drugs may be needed or beneficial to manage medical issues, they all also have side effects and most of them will cause added stress on body systems. We get enough chemicals in our body through breathing (air pollution) and eating (pesticides, fertilizers, etc.) that adding more chemicals that are not necessary, just isn't prudent. Sure, they may make us feel better, but in general, all drugs should be avoided unless you are under a doctor's supervision and you have a chronic medical condition that requires such use.

Doctors over subscribe. Kid misbehaves, put 'em on Ritalin. Got a pain, take two of these and let me know. Doctors are frequently clueless as to what is wrong as the body is one complicated thing. Sometimes the answer is it hurts because the body is under stress and it is supposed to hurt.

If you need something for chronic pain, then by all means take it. But if you are just uncomfortable because you are working out, I suggest a cold bath followed by elevation of the legs and rest. Give your liver and kidneys a break until you REALLY need medication.

The above is just my non-professional non-doctor opinion only. Take it with grain of salt-substitute.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

rmcj001

I realize you were trying to be funny, but even if P=NP meant P=N*P you would be wrong.  If P=1 and N != 1 then your statement is false.

The P = NP doesn't mean that.  It refers to deterministic algorithms vs non deterministic  algorithms.

Ray